And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: Oexmelin on May 29, 2020, 11:21:03 AM
Quote from: Syt on May 29, 2020, 08:13:18 AM
Literary trivia: which two famous authors died on the day that John F. Kennedy was shot?

Shakespeare and Cervantes.

Easy mistake, they died when Robert F. Kennedy was shot.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

grumbler

Quote from: Syt on May 29, 2020, 11:30:16 AM
Literary trivia: which two famous authors died on the day that John F. Kennedy was shot?

Wasn't that also The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

Quote from: grumbler on May 29, 2020, 02:41:01 PM
Quote from: Syt on May 29, 2020, 11:30:16 AM

Wasn't that also The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down?

That's why all the bells were ringing.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

PDH

Yep, the day the music died.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Syt

Fun fact, the song The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down was covered by German singer Juliane Werding in the 70s, re-interpreted as a song about a guy who dies of a drug overdose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OD8-q-Zey7Q
Just looked it up, she was 16 when this was recorded (the TV show this is from was notable for live performances instead of playback).
—Stephen Jay Gould

Eddie Teach

You sure it wasn't the summer of '69?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

The levee was dry that summer

The Brain

Was that when Debbie went down to Dallas?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Habbaku

Tell her children not to walk my way.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Zoupa

Has anyone read those series of books, and are they any good?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Brook

Malthus

Quote from: Zoupa on May 29, 2020, 04:47:57 PM

No, but the series certainly looks interesting.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

grumbler

Quote from: Zoupa on May 29, 2020, 04:47:57 PM

They seemed to me to be the standard "Napoleon tried to conquer the world, and plucky Brits like our hero stopped him" vibe.  Plus, I am convinced that no author can manage even six good books in a series.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!