News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

No way it's Keynes - he's far too right-wing for that sort of thinking.

I sort of feel it might be someone like Khrushchev - but that's not two Khrushchevian paragraphs :hmm:

Maybe someone mid NEP?
Let's bomb Russia!

Eddie Teach

Keynes is too old to be talking about Russian capitalism, you would think.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

I missed all the references to the rouble - yeah author must be Russian.

I change my guess to Stalin.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

I'd guess an early Soviet writer, back when critique of state planing was still possible, say early 1920s.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Sheilbh

Quote from: Barrister on May 26, 2020, 01:22:36 PM
I change my guess to Stalin.
Having no qualifications but reading two volumes of Kotkin's biography, I don't think it's Stalin. I feel his style was more didactic and sort of punchy - theoretical because Marxist, but more blunt. Edit: And far less inquisitive.
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on May 26, 2020, 01:23:45 PM
I'd guess an early Soviet writer, back when critique of state planing was still possible, say early 1920s.

Too early I think to be talking about the successes and mistakes. 

Razgovory

Someone who is in love with commas.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

FunkMonk

I'm weak and a coward and Googled it. It was my second guess, so even in my cowardice I only get consolation points.  :lol:

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Barrister

I googled it too.  I had never heard of this person (that says more about me than the author though).

Habbaku

Quote from: Razgovory on May 26, 2020, 01:30:49 PM
Someone who is in love with commas.

You mean some sort of Russian Commanist? Seems likely.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Quote from: Barrister on May 26, 2020, 01:49:16 PM
I googled it too.  I had never heard of this person (that says more about me than the author though).

You've never heard of [spoiler]Trotsky[/spoiler]?  :hmm:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Barrister

Quote from: Habbaku on May 26, 2020, 01:54:48 PM
Quote from: Barrister on May 26, 2020, 01:49:16 PM

You've never heard of [spoiler]Trotsky[/spoiler]?  :hmm:

D'oh!  My googling hit this very paragraph being quoted in someone else's book - a dude named Arthur Lewis.  I didn't really read the context though.

Lewis sounds like an interesting character.  Born in 1917 in St Lucia, he winds up going to the LSE (incidentally the first black person to attend), got his PhD, became an expert in development of developing countries, and won the Nobel Prize in Economics :shifty: in 1979.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Minsky Moment

It was a Soviet writer active during that time period, but he took a very different view in the early 20s then he did in this work, written in the 30s about the Five Year Plan.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 26, 2020, 04:38:23 PM

It was a Soviet writer active during that time period, but he took a very different view in the early 20s then he did in this work, written in the 30s about the Five Year Plan.

Ok so there can be only one that fits that description - too bad he had to die...