News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

Quote from: Savonarola on May 15, 2020, 09:43:34 AM
Does anyone have any recommendations for a history of Medieval Spain?

https://www.amazon.com/History-Medieval-Spain-Cornell-Paperbacks/dp/0801492645

Definitive book here. No idea if it's been surpassed by recent scholarship, but it's a great read.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Gups

Quote from: Malthus on May 10, 2020, 10:14:57 AM
Does anyone have any good readable accounts of the 1971 war over Bangladesh? It amazes me that this isn't better known about in the West.

I've not read it myself but this is meant to be good

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2013/mar/01/of-blood-and-fire-jahanara-imam-review

There is also history books by Srinath Raghavan and Wilem can Schneidal.

There are a lot of fictional accounts of the war. I'd recommend the reviewer Phillip Hensher's "The Friendly Ones".

Razgovory

I managed to accidentally buy a book written in medieval Italian.  Pratica della mercatura.  I read a sample of it on my Kindle, and found that the main text is in Italian.  The forward is in English and the notes are in English but not the text.  I tried to remove it from my Kindle and accidentally bought instead.  I couldn't find a way to get a refund for this particular book.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Sure. You fell and landed on Pratica della mercatura.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Quote from: Razgovory on May 15, 2020, 11:33:32 AM
I managed to accidentally buy a book written in medieval Italian.  Pratica della mercatura.  I read a sample of it on my Kindle, and found that the main text is in Italian.  The forward is in English and the notes are in English but not the text.  I tried to remove it from my Kindle and accidentally bought instead.  I couldn't find a way to get a refund for this particular book.

Well the Fates have spoken.  You know what you must do know.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 10, 2020, 10:51:00 AM
It's American focused but I've heard good things about "The Blood Telegram: Nixon, Kissinger, and a Forgotten Genocide".

I'll check it out - seems more focused, as you say, on the (shameful) part played by the Nixon administration, though.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: Gups on May 15, 2020, 10:26:43 AM
Quote from: Malthus on May 10, 2020, 10:14:57 AM
Does anyone have any good readable accounts of the 1971 war over Bangladesh? It amazes me that this isn't better known about in the West.

I've not read it myself but this is meant to be good

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2013/mar/01/of-blood-and-fire-jahanara-imam-review

There is also history books by Srinath Raghavan and Wilem can Schneidal.

There are a lot of fictional accounts of the war. I'd recommend the reviewer Phillip Hensher's "The Friendly Ones".

Thanks! I'll check those out too - it is bizarre to think how little this is known in the West.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Finished The Wars of the Roses: Politics and the constitution in England c.1437-1509, by Carpenter. From 1997, so doesn't include any more modern results. Seemed fairly OK, a plausible description of how kingship was supposed to work in late-medieval England, and the impact on political life of a completely incompetent king. The author has strong positive/negative views on various people, but seems to be open about it and discusses different opinions. One thing seemed odd to me: she twice states that it was a mistake by Edward IV not to kill Henry VI earlier, but she doesn't say why. My impression has always been that keeping Henry VI alive made perfect sense as long as his son was at large. As long as Henry lived his wife and son could only claim to act in his name/interest, and being in possession of Henry allowed a number of different cards to be played if needed. If Henry had been killed earlier then his son could have claimed, not unreasonably, to be the true King of England. A shame that she doesn't elaborate on why she thinks killing Henry before killing his son would have been a good idea.

Habbaku

Quote from: The Brain on May 16, 2020, 06:47:28 AM
A shame that she doesn't elaborate on why she thinks killing Henry before killing his son would have been a good idea.

A truly bizarre suggestion to put forth and not back it with some sort of reasoning. I've not read any other works that brought Edward to task over not having Henry killed earlier. If anything, they all criticize him for having Henry killed at all (assuming that's what happened).
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

crazy canuck

Quote from: Habbaku on May 16, 2020, 08:50:48 AM
A shame that she doesn't elaborate on why she thinks killing Henry before killing his son would have been a good idea.

A truly bizarre suggestion to put forth and not back it with some sort of reasoning. I've not read any other works that brought Edward to task over not having Henry killed earlier. If anything, they all criticize him for having Henry killed at all (assuming that's what happened).

Yeah, it would not have made sense before Tewkesbury but with Prince Edward now dead, the Queen captured the timing was perfect for an unfortunate accident.

FunkMonk

Rereading The Guns of August and it's just as good a read as I remember it.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on May 15, 2020, 11:40:52 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 15, 2020, 11:33:32 AM

Well the Fates have spoken.  You know what you must do know.

The doctor guy?  What did he say?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sophie Scholl

Finished The Wars of the Roses: Politics and the constitution in England c.1437-1509, by Carpenter. From 1997, so doesn't include any more modern results. Seemed fairly OK, a plausible description of how kingship was supposed to work in late-medieval England, and the impact on political life of a completely incompetent king. The author has strong positive/negative views on various people, but seems to be open about it and discusses different opinions. One thing seemed odd to me: she twice states that it was a mistake by Edward IV not to kill Henry VI earlier, but she doesn't say why. My impression has always been that keeping Henry VI alive made perfect sense as long as his son was at large. As long as Henry lived his wife and son could only claim to act in his name/interest, and being in possession of Henry allowed a number of different cards to be played if needed. If Henry had been killed earlier then his son could have claimed, not unreasonably, to be the true King of England. A shame that she doesn't elaborate on why she thinks killing Henry before killing his son would have been a good idea.
As Habs and CC mention, damn strange line of thought there. Out of curiosity, who are some of her personal favorites/villains? I've always been a big Yorkist fan myself with Anthony Woodville and Richard III being personal favorites.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

crazy canuck

Quote from: FunkMonk on May 18, 2020, 06:05:30 PM
Rereading The Guns of August and it's just as good a read as I remember it.

:thumbsup:

I was wondering about giving it another read through.

The Brain

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on May 19, 2020, 12:36:16 PM
As Habs and CC mention, damn strange line of thought there. Out of curiosity, who are some of her personal favorites/villains? I've always been a big Yorkist fan myself with Anthony Woodville and Richard III being personal favorites.

Loves: Edward IV
Hates: Henry VI and Richard III