And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oexmelin

Que le grand cric me croque !

The Minsky Moment

There used to be a sprawling French bookstore at Rockefeller Center - nice storefront and then a big section of books in the basement.  It was there for decades.  I always wondered how they could pay the rent.  Ultimately it turned out they couldn't.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

Reading Ernie Pyle's "This is Your War".  Pyle was a columnist who wrote human interest stories stories about soldiers during the Second World War.  The book is a compilation of a bunch of his columns during the African Campaign.  It is very much "Ra Ra, our boys are doing great", but still has value in how people of the time saw the war and to a lesser degree how the solider's saw it.  Quite a lot of the work concerns soldiers in the rear echelons such as military police, army convoys, mechanics, and medical professionals.  Their experiences are not recorded as often as front line soldiers, so it's interesting to know how they lived and what they thought.  The books is kinda like war stories you would hear from your grandparents and the like. Not the stories of horror and blood and shameful acts but the stories of pranks played on officers, of friends they made, and of strange incidents.  The mundane stories that old people tell children and look rosier 50 years after the events.  Of course not all the stories were happy, my great uncle was in the navy and he got assigned a job coaxing Japanese die hard in caves to surrender using a bullhorn, a flamethrower and a lot of gasoline, but I think they preferred to tell the happier stories, at least to children.  Now most of those people are gone and memory of the war is vanishing...

One of the more remarkable stories Pyle tells is about bomber that was thought lost but managed limp back with only two engines working and damaged electronic and hydraulic systems.  I was curious what happened to the crew and now with the power of the internet I can satisfy that curiosity.  The pilot survived the war, and stayed in the military.  He retired a Lt. Col in 1969 and died eight years ago.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

Quote from: Razgovory on April 07, 2020, 02:12:03 PMQuite a lot of the work concerns soldiers in the rear echelons such as military police, army convoys, mechanics, and medical professionals.  Their experiences are not recorded as often as front line soldiers, so it's interesting to know how they lived and what they thought.

Thanks for sharing this title, Raz. I agree that the non-frontline soldier experiences don't feature frequently in documentaries or books about war, despite often making up the larger part of the army. FP had an article on that: https://foreignpolicy.com/2012/08/08/fog-of-war/
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

I started on The Italian Wars, Vol 1: The Expedition of Charles VIII into Italy and the Battle of Fornovo, 1495, by Predonzani and Alberici. It's a new book in the Helion series From Retinue to Regiment. It is written originally in Italian but unfortunately the translator (another Italian) isn't (I suspect) a "real" professional translator. The language is a bizarre version of English that makes reading a chore, and there are factual errors that may or may not be translation errors. I had to quit after a few pages. If the publisher can't be bothered to have a native speaker look over the text then it's hard for me as a lowly reader to summon the will to give a fuck. Too bad about the language, I'm interested in the subject.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Habbaku

:( You're not the only one interested in the subject. Shame about the translation. Please post if you find something else worthwhile in English on the subject.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Maladict

Prague Winter, Madeleine Albright's biography of her youth and country during the 30s and 40s. Had a hard time with it, especially the wartime parts seemed bland and superficial, but I'm glad I stuck with it. Very strong finish, the 1945-1948 period is fascinating and her own convictions start coming out. They don't make politicians like that anymore.  :(

The Brain

Finished Richard III and the Battle of Bosworth, by Mike Ingram. Part of Helion's From Retinue to Regiment series. A very nice presentation of (AFAICT) what is known today about the subject. The book gives a lot of background, going back to Edward III, and also presents general military matters of the era. Only 280 pages in total, so bite-sized but still feels fairly complete.

One thing that I still don't feel sure about is the interpretation of the way battles (as in troop contingents/formations) worked on the WotR battlefield. I understand that different authors have different views on this. Having a battle covering the entire front seems to me as if it would lead to C&C problems, an interpretation of center and wings seems more intuitive to me.

Habbaku

Brain, have you read Goodwin's Fatal Colours yet? It covers Towton in large detail, apparently (I haven't read it yet, though it's on my list), and I'd be curious for a comparison between that and Ingram's work.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Brain

Quote from: Habbaku on April 17, 2020, 10:36:07 AM
Brain, have you read Goodwin's Fatal Colours yet? It covers Towton in large detail, apparently (I haven't read it yet, though it's on my list), and I'd be curious for a comparison between that and Ingram's work.

I have, and it's in my library. It's been some years since I read it so I'll have to refresh my memory to answer.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Malthus

Does anyone have any good readable accounts of the 1971 war over Bangladesh? It amazes me that this isn't better known about in the West.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Sheilbh

It's American focused but I've heard good things about "The Blood Telegram: Nixon, Kissinger, and a Forgotten Genocide".
Let's bomb Russia!

Savonarola

Does anyone have any recommendations for a history of Medieval Spain?
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Brain