News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

Finished Thomas F. Madden's history of the city of Venice. Very good read, 4/5, but also rather light on detail since it's trying to cover the entire scope of the city in ~400 pages.

Anyone have any recommendations for something more precise about, say, Medieval Venice?

Either way, up next is Desmon Seward's biography of Henry IV of France so I can start my deep dive on the French Wars of Religion.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Brain

Quote from: Habbaku on March 30, 2020, 02:46:41 PM
Finished Thomas F. Madden's history of the city of Venice. Very good read, 4/5, but also rather light on detail since it's trying to cover the entire scope of the city in ~400 pages.

Anyone have any recommendations for something more precise about, say, Medieval Venice?

Either way, up next is Desmon Seward's biography of Henry IV of France so I can start my deep dive on the French Wars of Religion.

:nerd:

But seriously, I too would like to hear about good books on medieval Venice.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Gups

John Julius Norwich did a long history of Venice. Very good but may not be specific enough for you.

Syt

Not middle ages, but Roger Crowley's City of Fortune covers key moments in its history from the 4th Crusade through its heyday into the decline. As usual, Crowley is eminently readable (I also recommend his Empires of the Sea about the Christian-Muslim rivalry in the Mediterranean in the 16th century, with a heavy focus on the Siege of Malta, and Conquerors about the early forays of the Portuguese into the Indian Ocean).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

Quote from: Gups on March 30, 2020, 03:05:35 PM
John Julius Norwich did a long history of Venice. Very good but may not be specific enough for you.

I bought that (in Venice :nerd:) and read it.  Thought it was very good, but again it's a general history of its entire history, from founding to (IIRC) either the fall to Napoleon, or the formation of Italy.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Oexmelin

There is no good volume only on Venice's medieval period for the general public, AFAICT. Robert C. Davis' work on the Arsenal is a classic. Claire Judde de Larivière wrote a study of its trading networks, but it hasn't been translated yet. Still, maybe some of you would be interested in her "Revolt of the Snowballs", which is about a curious episode of medieval Venice's history.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Habbaku

Quote from: Syt on March 30, 2020, 03:10:16 PM

Not middle ages, but Roger Crowley's City of Fortune covers key moments in its history from the 4th Crusade through its heyday into the decline. As usual, Crowley is eminently readable (I also recommend his Empires of the Sea about the Christian-Muslim rivalry in the Mediterranean in the 16th century, with a heavy focus on the Siege of Malta, and Conquerors about the early forays of the Portuguese into the Indian Ocean).

Already have his Empires of the Sea, so I'll consider this a good recommendation. That's the era I'm mostly looking for, so it works. :cheers:

Thanks.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Quote from: Oexmelin on March 30, 2020, 03:29:45 PM
Claire Judde de Larivière wrote a study of its trading networks, but it hasn't been translated yet.

:cry:

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on March 30, 2020, 03:22:24 PM
Quote from: Gups on March 30, 2020, 03:05:35 PM

I bought that (in Venice :nerd:) and read it.  Thought it was very good, but again it's a general history of its entire history, from founding to (IIRC) either the fall to Napoleon, or the formation of Italy.

It is through Napoleon. I mean you could probably write a whole book just on the quixotic attempt to restore the Republic in 1848 alone. I can see why he stopped there.

Great book BTW.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Maladict

Quote from: The Brain on March 30, 2020, 02:50:08 PM

:nerd:

But seriously, I too would like to hear about good books on medieval Venice.

This will appear in August:
https://www.crcpress.com/Early-Medieval-Venice-Cultural-Memory-and-History/Berto/p/book/9780367900564

Habbaku

Quote from: Valmy on March 30, 2020, 03:43:07 PM
It is through Napoleon. I mean you could probably write a whole book just on the quixotic attempt to restore the Republic in 1848 alone. I can see why he stopped there.

Yeah, it's unsurprising to see than Madden lost steam after 1848 as well. There's maybe 30 pages on everything from there until the modern day (to 2010, roughly) in his work.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Maladict

I mean you could probably write a whole book just on the quixotic attempt to restore the Republic in 1848 alone. .

It's called The Siege of Venice and it's surprisingly interesting.

Oexmelin

Quote from: Habbaku on March 30, 2020, 05:00:28 PM

Yeah, it's unsurprising to see than Madden lost steam after 1848 as well. 

It's like a curse or something.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Barrister

Quote from: Oexmelin on March 30, 2020, 05:56:55 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on March 30, 2020, 05:00:28 PM

Yeah, it's unsurprising to see than Madden lost steam after 1848 as well. 

It's like a curse or something.

:lol:

You've gone native on us Oex.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Oexmelin on March 30, 2020, 03:29:45 PM
Claire Judde de Larivière wrote a study of its trading networks, but it hasn't been translated yet.

Available on amazon for a trifling $152
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson