News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

The Brain

Partial credit for The Beginnings of Rome: Italy and Rome from the Bronze Age to the Punic Wars (c. 1000-264 BC).
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

11B4V

Doing some nostalgic retreads

The Third World War
Team Yankee
First Clash
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ed Anger

Never cared for Hackett's WWIII book. Still have a copy floating around somewhere.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Habbaku

Quote from: Malthus on January 29, 2018, 04:02:45 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on January 29, 2018, 03:59:17 PM
Now up is John Keay's The Honourable Company, A History of the English East India Company, which is incredibly exciting in the 50 pages I've read thus far.

I'm really interested in this one. Please let me know how it goes.

High quality from start to finish, Malthus. I do wish it had a little more detail on Clive's campaigns and the overall military situation in India, but different works exist for that subject.

I have learned that very little can stop a determined Englishman, though, and you'll see numerous instances of that in the book.  :D
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

11B4V

I can agree with that. TY is by far a better read and much more limited in scope, but using Hackett's book as the background. First Clash is about the same scope as TY, but more technical. A much harder read for the layman.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Gups

Quote from: Habbaku on March 15, 2018, 09:31:16 PM
Now up is John Keay's The Honourable Company, A History of the English East India Company, which is incredibly exciting in the 50 pages I've read thus far.

High quality from start to finish, Malthus. I do wish it had a little more detail on Clive's campaigns and the overall military situation in India, but different works exist for that subject.

I have learned that very little can stop a determined Englishman, though, and you'll see numerous instances of that in the book.  :D

Must check that out. I enjoyed his book on China

Malthus

Well, I'm sold! It's a place and an era I don't know all that much about.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Habbaku

If you finish that one and enjoy it, you might also consider moving on to the source material for much of the book (and, honestly, the source for much of the work on the East India Company): K. N. Chaudhuri's Trading World of Asia and English East India Company. Dr. Chaudhuri did a ton of original research with the Company's own documents and the book has a voluminous series of interesting statistical analyses that help explain a lot of the action in Keay's book.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Eddie Teach

Reread Foundation. Still a great read.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

I started reading this last night.  Had to force myself to put it down so I could get some sleep.  A good start  :)

Savonarola

I read Walter Isaacson's biography of Leonardo da Vinci.  It's an entertaining read, if a little light; among other things Isaacson points out how monumentally stupid Dan Brown's description of "The Last Supper" is.  I didn't know Cesar Borgia, Leonardo da Vinci and Niccolo Machiavelli had all traveled together during Borgia's conquest of Romagna; that sounds like a setup to a Renaissance era joke.

At the end of the book Isaacson provides a description of how YOU! can be more like Leonardo (Step 1, learn to write backwards; Step 2, get a kleptomaniac rent boy, Step 3 Never finish any of your projects, Step 4 ..., Step 5 Profit!  :P ;) )  (Really you're supposed to passionately curious and the like.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

I finished Michael Lang's (and Holly George-Warren) book "The Road to Woodstock."  Lang was one of the producers, and had organized a couple rock concerts before.  His biggest had been the "1968 Miami Pop Festival" which had about 25,000 attendees (and, in a recurring theme, suffered inclement weather.)  He was obviously in way over his head with Woodstock; and had to deal with everything from a belligerent zoning board to a rapacious Abbie Hoffman.  The festival was only about half ready when the concert began; I think, in part, that's what made Woodstock a legend.  The Monterey Pop Festival was very well prepared, but no more than a great concert.  Altamont had almost no preparation whatsoever (and did turn into a legend of sorts; though not exactly a fondly remembered one.)  Woodstock had enough support and facilities to prevent it from turning into anarchy, but enough hardship to make it, in time, a pleasant memory.

(Though that doesn't explain why half a million people went to the show in the first place.)

In the end Lang starts carrying on about how Woodstock is always with him and how the "Woodstock Nation" transformed America, culminating in the second major cultural event of the post World War II era, the Barack Obama inauguration; (the book was written in 2009); and I thought "How about that, the Altamont Nation triumphed in the end."   

;)

(Of course we're not at the end.  Who knows, maybe the Zulu Nation will triumph over all.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

crazy canuck

The People vs Democracy - a Harvard prof paints a very dim future for the survival of Liberal Democracy and then sets out to propose ways it might be saved.  But his solutions were not very convincing and so I came away persuaded that we are at the end of the period of Liberal Democracy and entering an age of populist politics or technocrats.

http://www.hup.harvard.edu/catalog.php?isbn=9780674976825

Admiral Yi

Just started Franky Fuk's Political Decay.

Also picked up the Oprah! boxed edition of Faulkner, which might not have been the optimal choice for poolside reading.