News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

I am enjoying making my way through the Last Kingdom series.

Oexmelin

Quote from: Malthus on December 12, 2017, 08:44:11 AM
Read one not dealing with warfare: The Seventh Function of Language by Laurent Binet (in translation).

A really bizarre mix of parody on semiotics, French politics, murder mystery and conspiracy, it is far more amusing than it had any right to be (how could anyone dislike a book in which writer and critic Philippe Sollers has his balls cut off after losing a debate to Umberto Eco, for rank in a secret society?).  :D

It was fun, but I much prefer his HHhH.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Malthus

Quote from: Oexmelin on December 12, 2017, 10:34:29 AM
Read one not dealing with warfare: The Seventh Function of Language by Laurent Binet (in translation).

A really bizarre mix of parody on semiotics, French politics, murder mystery and conspiracy, it is far more amusing than it had any right to be (how could anyone dislike a book in which writer and critic Philippe Sollers has his balls cut off after losing a debate to Umberto Eco, for rank in a secret society?).  :D

It was fun, but I much prefer his HHhH.

I agree, HHhH was the better book - I went back and re-read it after reading Seventh Function. Stood up very well to a re-read.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 12, 2017, 10:33:07 AM
I am enjoying making my way through the Last Kingdom series.

One of my favorites.

The formula starts to show a bit (I mean, how can it not?) but its a good one.  :D

If you like well written historical fiction series, I'd also recommend the Long War series by Christian Cameron: https://www.amazon.ca/Killer-Men-Christian-Cameron/dp/0752883933

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Eddie Teach

(how could anyone dislike a book in which writer and critic Philippe Sollers has his balls cut off after losing a debate to Umberto Eco, for rank in a secret society?).  :D

They have a modicum of empathy?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Malthus

Quote from: Eddie Teach on December 12, 2017, 01:55:11 PM
(how could anyone dislike a book in which writer and critic Philippe Sollers has his balls cut off after losing a debate to Umberto Eco, for rank in a secret society?).  :D

They have a modicum of empathy?

It doesn't actually happen.  :secret:

The Brain

Quote from: The Brain on August 12, 2017, 01:09:46 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on August 12, 2017, 11:06:25 AM
Quote from: The Brain on August 11, 2017, 06:19:55 PM
By Force of Arms, about the Austrian army in the Seven Years War

I would be really interested to hear your thoughts on it when you get around to finishing it. I have read Richard Bassett's For God and Kaiser, but it's more an overview of the entirety of Austria's army rather than covering that specific period.

Sure thing!

Have you read Instrument of War? I'm likely to read that one before By Force of Arms.

I'm reading For God and Kaiser right now, as a general introduction to things Austrian and military.

Now I've read Instrument of War and By Force of Arms.

To a person who is serious about the Austrian army in the SYW then I guess Instrument of War is a must, certainly if you don't read German. It has a fuckton of info. Since I'm not an expert at all I don't know how reliable it is, but I have no reason to doubt that a lot of it is koscher.

I found By Force of Arms pretty nice, it gave me a clear picture of the operations I thought. Mind you I am NOT an expert on the SYW (I read a biography of Frederick many years ago and that's about it), so I don't know how it compares to other serious works. Maps are plentiful and reasonably clear without being very inspiring (I didn't always find all places mentioned in the text on the maps, but that may of course have been operator error).

In both books the author sometimes comes across as somewhat old-fashioned (not always a bad thing in history considering the number of retarded young historians), but in fairness I guess he must be like 120 y/o or something.

I also got his book on Frederick's army (The Army of Frederick the Great, 2nd ed), but I haven't started on it yet.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

To a person who is serious about the Austrian army in the SYW

One of the strangest quirks about this place is that such a concept is considered possible.   :D
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

11B4V

Quote from: 11B4V on December 11, 2017, 09:47:45 PM
Finally started on The Last Valley

I would consider this a thorough book on Dien Bien Phu. The author goes into detail on the events;

-France's conduct of the war up to DBP
-Establishment of the base aérienne-terrestre concept
-The false application of the victory at Nà Sản
-Good background into main French Personalities. (Theater level to Company level)
-Challenges a couple of Bernard B. Fall's assertions.
-Excellent detail on French units, resupply ops, French air power, etc
-Good detail on Giap's conduct of the battle. Overall very good layout of the Viet Minh conduct of the battle. Fall's book was written shortly after DBP, so he didn't have access to info that Windrow had. 
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

What next? Choices are;
A Bright Shining Lie

Street Without Joy

Failure in the Saddle: Nathan Bedford Forrest, Joe Wheeler, and the Confederate Cavalry in the Chickamauga Campaign

The Tanks of Tammuz
:lol: WTF get the fuck out of here. I bought a hard copy in good condition 20 years ago for 2.00.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0670693685/ref=tmm_hrd_used_olp_0?ie=UTF8&condition=used&qid=&sr=
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Admiral Yi

Bright Shining Lie is fantastic.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on December 19, 2017, 09:41:25 PM
What next? Choices are;
A Bright Shining Lie

WTF man.  You should've read that shit already.  It's required reading on the 'Nam.