And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbr

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 12, 2017, 02:54:52 PM
Anyone read the Chernow Hamilton book?

Yeah a long time ago, probably shortly after it was released.  Very good.

sbr

Pre-ordered The Storm Before the Storm: The Beginning of the End of the Roman Republic by Mike Duncan, of History of Rome and Revolutions podcast fame.

I am 99.9% sure that this is the first book I have ever pre-ordered.

Habbaku

Not my first pre-order, but I ordered that as well. Looking forward to it.  :)

Also looking forward to Alison Weir's Queens of the Conquest, which should be here soon.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

jimmy olsen

Quote from: 11B4V on October 17, 2017, 07:26:23 PM
Hello, you've reach the U.S. Air force evacuation line. Please wait for the next available representative.

In Sejong, well short of the DMZ. Unfortunately 150m from the massive government complex there. It houses the departments of Strategic Affairs, Infrastructure, Finance, etc. So it's not the best place for me to be.

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Gups

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 12, 2017, 02:54:52 PM
Anyone read the Chernow Hamilton book?

Finished it last week. Well-written and very solid research. First half is a bit hagiographic, he seems to have fallen hopelessly in lover with his subject. Becomes more balanced later. He gives a really good kicking to Adams and Jefferson. Hamilton's energy and incredible intellect does shine through.

Probably a couple of hundred pages too long. I could have done with less about his personal life personally.

Malthus

Quote from: sbr on October 17, 2017, 08:06:10 PM
Pre-ordered The Storm Before the Storm: The Beginning of the End of the Roman Republic by Mike Duncan, of History of Rome and Revolutions podcast fame.

I am 99.9% sure that this is the first book I have ever pre-ordered.

Oh, nice. I loved his podcasts.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Everybody should hear his French Revolution one. Everything you ever wanted to know about the Directory but were afraid to ask.

I pre-ordered the book as well. I usually buy something from his fund raisers every year and I am reasonably sure the book is the fund raiser this year.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on October 18, 2017, 09:04:39 AM
Everybody should hear his French Revolution one. Everything you ever wanted to know about the Directory but were afraid to ask.

I pre-ordered the book as well. I usually buy something from his fund raisers every year and I am reasonably sure the book is the fund raiser this year.

His most recent podcasts on the rebellions of the 1800s in Europe are also very good.

I will also be getting his book.  I have been looking forward to it ever since he announced the start of the project.

Ed Anger

I'll be damned if I call Pusan "busan".
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

People said the same thing about Peking.  :(
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

The Fate of Rome - an engaging read which explains the factors which brought an end to the Empire in the West.  One Imperial thumb up.

https://press.princeton.edu/titles/11079.html

crazy canuck

Storm Before the Storm is now available and on my e-reader :)

sbr

Mine was available at the bookstore on Thursday but I didn't have tine to go get it until today, heading over after work.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

jimmy olsen

You know, having finished War Before Civilization, it implies that war with China is even more inevitible than I thought, especially under the current leadership.

Basically, the more heavily tribes traded with each other, the more likely they were to go to war with each other unless they voluntarily established arbitrary monolopies (i.e. one tribe produces pottery, one produces obsidian blades, etc.). The breaking of such monopolies almost inevitably lead to war.

Chinese dominance in manufacturing and Trump's determination to break that comes to mind.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point