News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Total War: Warhammer is coming

Started by Solmyr, January 14, 2015, 06:12:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

It seems that Valmy's love affair with Karl Franz is over. :weep:

EDIT 2: Seems that the Empire begins disunited and KF has to unite the Electors.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 07, 2015, 06:06:20 AM
It seems that Valmy's love affair with Karl Franz is over. :weep:

EDIT 2: Seems that the Empire begins disunited and KF has to unite the Electors.

These traitorous counts will be brought to heel swiftly and ruthlessly by Sigmar :ultra:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

Elector-counts is kind of weak, especially given the scale. They should be Prince-Electors like the HRE. At least Dukes or Archdukes.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Habbaku

:rolleyes:

Having the title of Duke, Archduke or Prince does not make one automatically stronger than a Count.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Habbaku on June 07, 2015, 10:16:51 PM
:rolleyes:

Having the title of Duke, Archduke or Prince does not make one automatically stronger than a Count.
There are exceptions, but most people with those title will be stronger than a Count, the later two much stronger.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Martinus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 07, 2015, 06:54:14 PM
Elector-counts is kind of weak, especially given the scale. They should be Prince-Electors like the HRE. At least Dukes or Archdukes.

You are mixing things up. HRE Electors never had the title of Prince, they were titled Kurfursts which got translated into Latin/English as "Prince Elector" but is more a description of a role, than a title (in the same way Machiavelli's "Prince" does not talk about people titled "Prince" but sovereign monarchs).

The actual titles of the original lay Prince Electors were King, Duke, Count Palatine and Margrave, respectively, so hardly all "Dukes" or "Archdukes" (in fact there was only one Archduke in the HRE).

jimmy olsen

You are correct, but what really matters in this discusion is the perception. Warhammer, both Fanstasy and 40K, thrive on being over the top as possible. Prince-Elector sounds like a much more impressive title in English than Elector-Counts, thus the first should be used.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Martinus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 08, 2015, 02:15:37 AM
You are correct, but what really matters in this discusion is the perception. Warhammer, both Fanstasy and 40K, thrive on being over the top as possible. Prince-Elector sounds like a much more impressive title in English than Elector-Counts, thus the first should be used.

I think they wanted to differentiate it somehow from the real world HRE, so it is not an exact carbon copy. Besides (though not sure the game designers really went that deep) the Empire in the Old World seems to be more centralised than the HRE was, so the title Count sounds more appropriate.

Josquius

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 08, 2015, 02:15:37 AM
Count sounds more exotically continental and foreign.
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Calling them Elector Earls but just mean a subset of Tory voters.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

A 15 year anniversary Total Warhammer trailer. Almost all retrospective footage, but Valmy's crush has an awesome entrance at the 1:57 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=gluogeTdqng

Also, here's a steamtank screenshot

1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 17, 2015, 12:11:50 AM
A 15 year anniversary Total Warhammer trailer. Almost all retrospective footage, but Valmy's crush has an awesome entrance at the 1:57 mark.

That was pretty dreamy you have to admit.