News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Total War: Warhammer is coming

Started by Solmyr, January 14, 2015, 06:12:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

You know, this game is a blast.  I bought a SSD during the Black Friday and finally got to play this game.  The over-the-top Hollywood battles of Total War fit really well with the Mawkish Melodrama of Warhammer.  It makes sense, if you are going to have unrealistic but dramatic battles why not throw orcs and tree people in there?  I like how each faction has a definite "feel".  Dwarves have very heavily armed infantry but almost no mobility.  Wood Elves are the opposite with lots of
magical cavalry but have a hard time holding a line of infantry.  And humans have the ability to throw down their weapons and run away when facing horrors beyond time and space.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

Finally started getting into this. Doing okay on the battlefield, but my economy is  a wreck.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Up to turn 24 in my Empire Game.

I have destroyed the Reikland sepratitsts and the Crooked Moon goblins.

I have confederated with Talabecland and catpured Marienburg, which has solved my financial problems.

Next on the list, capture Grossel to consolidate my control over the Wasteland.

Then go Beastmen hunting. They are causing Weissenland problems, despite them having annexed Stirling.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Up to Turn 29 now.

I fully conquered the Wasteland Grand Province of Imperial Westerland, adding it to Reikland and Talabecland.

Then Weissenland (which had split Stirland with Sylvannia) confederated with me. I think they did it because they lost one of their two armies to the Beastmen, but it was a phyric victory. The Beastmen have led me on a wild goose chase since then, always staying just out of reach.

A lot of folks came begging for nonagression packs and trade agreements with me and now I'm clearing 500 gold a turn.

I think the Dwarfs razed a city in Sylvania, so I don't think the Vampires are doing so hot.

Will take care of them next assuming the Ulirc dominated provinces don't attack me. A couple of them canceled the NA treaties after I confederated Weissenland.

Got a message at turn 28 that the tribes in Norsca/the Waste had stopped striving against each other and were uniting.

Heard they don't come down until turn 80-100, so if that's true I should be ready by then.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Lizardmen have the some of the best infantry in the game.  They are extremely hard-hitting (they have weapon strength better then most races entire roster), considerable armor, and are unlocked very early in the game.  I have little ratmen who are cowardly, weak and underarmored ( They have weapon strength and armor that is half of their saurus opponents.  Their leader, Krok-gar (or something like that), bestows such a great morale bonus the Lizardmen don't break and run until they reach 10% of the their numbers.  They do go berserk, but that doesn't really help me much.  I had to outnumber the Lizardmen 2-1 to win a battle and it was only a Pyrrhic victory.  Also the Lizard men have dinosaurs, which isn't really fair.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

A new DLC is coming along.  Add some units for the Skaven and Lizardmen.  Are there Lizard women?  How would you tell the difference?  I beat the vortex campaign with the Skaven and started a Mortal Empires game as the Empire.  The Vortex campaign was a bit tedious.  I kept having to return to my original cities to protect them while they did their ritual thing.  As a result I didn't get to expand much and Only fought one legendary lord and never fought any Dark Elves.  Mortal Empires is much better in that regard.

Josquius

I notice 2 is on sale.
I'm tempted.
Though still can't but think that 2 and 1 are artificially different games.
██████
██████
██████

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tyr on April 05, 2019, 04:38:17 PM
I notice 2 is on sale.
I'm tempted.
Though still can't but think that 2 and 1 are artificially different games.

Isn't the main draw to combine them into a huge mega-campaign?

1 Karma Chameleon point

Tamas

I think they are both very well made games. My main issue with both however (but 2 in particular), is that I can't seem to avoid having each and every battle devolve into a massive round blob of units brawling.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Josquius

Quote from: Tamas on April 07, 2019, 09:06:02 AM
I think they are both very well made games. My main issue with both however (but 2 in particular), is that I can't seem to avoid having each and every battle devolve into a massive round blob of units brawling.
That's every Total War game really.

The campaign devolves into nothing but a dull forward march where your army slowly makes its way across the map fighting a battle every 2 or 3 turns.
The battles after an initial period of throwing projectiles at each other are rugby matches.

Which...may well be realistic.
But isn't fun.
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

Quote from: Tamas on April 07, 2019, 09:06:02 AM

Getting the AI to blob up is a good tactic:  You blast'em with spells.  I really don't have a problem with my guys blobbing up, just don't order more than one unit to attack an enemy unit from the same side.  Sometimes you have to do so order more than one unit to attack another unit (for instance when a monster attacks your anti-infantry troops and you need to throw some anti-large troops to bail them out), but as a rule use the flanks.

viper37

Bought #1 before Christmas.  Just before they announced they were giving it for free if you bought another game... grrr.

So, I played, I liked it, and I bought #2 and most of the DLC while they were on special, -66%.

Haven't played #2 yet, I've played Empire & Dwarves based game, and now, I'm on Empire with the Radious mod.  Lots of units, lots of changes, I like it! :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Brain

Like I've said before: fantasy really suits the lack of realism of the Total War format. :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: viper37 on January 31, 2020, 06:09:16 PM
Bought #1 before Christmas.  Just before they announced they were giving it for free if you bought another game... grrr.

So, I played, I liked it, and I bought #2 and most of the DLC while they were on special, -66%.

Haven't played #2 yet, I've played Empire & Dwarves based game, and now, I'm on Empire with the Radious mod.  Lots of units, lots of changes, I like it! :)

Lot of cool Dwarf action in the second game. The Skaven make a cool and unique enemy

1 Karma Chameleon point