Main Menu

Next SCOTUS retiree/appointee?

Started by Martinus, October 19, 2014, 03:22:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

Indeed.  His nomination was blocked.  In the biggest way possible.  :P

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Viking on October 20, 2014, 01:19:19 AM
to be honest I'd actually like to see a 5th vote to ban abortion. Perhaps you'd get around to making it a medical health and ethics issue than a rights issue. Leaving it to the court has always been an abdication of responsibility by the legislature.

Overturning RvW wouldn't be a vote to ban. It would be a vote to return it to the states to decide like the recent gay marriage one did. The next day, a couple dozen states would pass laws allowing abortion. Eight or ten might manage to pass some banning it eventually, but it seems unlikely.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Martinus

Can individual states prohibit their own inhabitants from engagining in activity in another state that is legal in that other state? For example (assuming no RvW), could a state criminalise someone travelling to another state to get a legal abortion?

I assume the answer is "no" (since it is not even possible within the EU and the US is a much stronger union) but just checking.

MadImmortalMan

Reno got on the radar as a divorce town for exactly that reason.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tonitrus on October 20, 2014, 01:52:14 AM

Have we all forgotten Robert Bork?  :(

His nomination suffered from being an asshole.

Then again, we see how Scalia turned out.

celedhring

Quote from: Martinus on October 20, 2014, 05:32:05 AM
Can individual states prohibit their own inhabitants from engagining in activity in another state that is legal in that other state? For example (assuming no RvW), could a state criminalise someone travelling to another state to get a legal abortion?

I assume the answer is "no" (since it is not even possible within the EU and the US is a much stronger union) but just checking.

Is there actually a push to jail women that have an abortion vs just the doctors that perform it? Not even fascist, ultra-Catholic Spain under Franco did that.

DGuller

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on October 20, 2014, 04:22:13 AM
Quote from: Viking on October 20, 2014, 01:19:19 AM
to be honest I'd actually like to see a 5th vote to ban abortion. Perhaps you'd get around to making it a medical health and ethics issue than a rights issue. Leaving it to the court has always been an abdication of responsibility by the legislature.

Overturning RvW wouldn't be a vote to ban. It would be a vote to return it to the states to decide like the recent gay marriage one did. The next day, a couple dozen states would pass laws allowing abortion. Eight or ten might manage to pass some banning it eventually, but it seems unlikely.
Is that a given that it's only going to go that far?  This is a court that decided that corporations have a free speech right.  Giving unborn the right to life doesn't seem that outlandish by comparison.

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 20, 2014, 06:26:49 AM

I don't think the whole Saturday Night Massacre thing worked for him either.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

Quote from: celedhring on October 20, 2014, 09:09:27 AM
Quote from: Martinus on October 20, 2014, 05:32:05 AM

Is there actually a push to jail women that have an abortion vs just the doctors that perform it? Not even fascist, ultra-Catholic Spain under Franco did that.

Ireland tried that I think, that's why the ECJ ruled on the matter.

That being said, Polish ultra-conservatives tried (and failed) recently to introduce an amendment to anti-abortion law that would jail women for having a "negligent miscarriage". So yeah, if left unchecked, conservatives do not really have a limit.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Martinus on October 19, 2014, 03:22:22 PM
Hey, Yanks. I have two questions:

Who will be the most likely next SCOTUS retiree and is he/she likely to retire during the Obama's administration?

Ginsburg is the oldest and has had a few health issues over the years.  But she has made it clear she is not retiring in the Obama administration.  I think she will probably stay on the job as long as physically and mentally possible, she has no interest in retiring.  the next oldest are Scalia and Kennedy (and then Breyer) but all three of those are healthy and appear to enjoy being on the Court.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on October 20, 2014, 09:40:30 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 20, 2014, 06:26:49 AM

I don't think the whole Saturday Night Massacre thing worked for him either.

Yeah, but by the time it trickled down to him, he was just the camp guard at Nuremberg;  i dont think the Senate had as much of a problem with that than they did with the fact that he was smarter than they were, and he told them so.

dps

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 20, 2014, 10:27:21 AM
Quote from: Martinus on October 19, 2014, 03:22:22 PM
Hey, Yanks. I have two questions:

Who will be the most likely next SCOTUS retiree and is he/she likely to retire during the Obama's administration?

Ginsburg is the oldest and has had a few health issues over the years.  But she has made it clear she is not retiring in the Obama administration.  I think she will probably stay on the job as long as physically and mentally possible, she has no interest in retiring.  the next oldest are Scalia and Kennedy (and then Breyer) but all three of those are healthy and appear to enjoy being on the Court.

That's the thing.  Justices don't generally time their retirements based on who gets to nominate their successor on the bench--they time it based on hanging on to the position as long as possible.  Can't much blame 'em--it's a good gig.

The Minsky Moment

Pre-war, the Supreme Court reguarly heard over 200 cases per year.
After the war, the norm was around 150 cases.  But that started to drop around 1980.
Now a typical term involves decisions on about 70 cases.  So one could argue that being a justice has become a part-time job, although a possible resjoinder would be that the Court now spends a more time on each case they do take.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Barrister

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 20, 2014, 01:28:00 PM
After the war, the norm was around 150 cases.  But that started to drop around 1980.
Now a typical term involves decisions on about 70 cases.  So one could argue that being a justice has become a part-time job, although a possible resjoinder would be that the Court now spends a more time on each case they do take.

Now break it down based on how many words in its decisions the Court produces per year. :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DGuller

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 20, 2014, 01:28:00 PM
Or maybe they're so overburdened with their caseload that 70 is all they can handle.  I recommend adding some justices right away to ease the burden.