Human Rights Watch Warns of 'Authoritarian Drift' in Turkey

Started by Syt, September 30, 2014, 12:53:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Tamas on October 01, 2014, 09:18:12 AM
Quote from: grumbler on October 01, 2014, 08:08:44 AM
Quote from: Martinus on October 01, 2014, 06:51:14 AM
What? Working with Iran would be unthinkable from the US perspective and the only reason for this is the fact that Iran is a sworn enemy of Israel (the West is perfectly capable of turning a blind eye to even greater human right abuses by the Saudis, so it is hardly that).
:huh:  Iran has worked directly against US (and other Western) interests in all manner of areas, mostly having nothing to do with Israel.

Cut him som slack. He is living in Eastern Europe. Most everything is analysed there on the basis of "how could the Jews be potentially involved?"
:lol: Tamas, just because you left your beet farm in Hungary doesn't mean you're not an Eastern European anymore.  You don't get to mock Eastern Europeans with an air of superiority.

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on October 01, 2014, 09:21:09 AM
What? Working with Iran would be unthinkable from the US perspective and the only reason for this is the fact that Iran is a sworn enemy of Israel (the West is perfectly capable of turning a blind eye to even greater human right abuses by the Saudis, so it is hardly that).
:huh:  Iran has worked directly against US (and other Western) interests in all manner of areas, mostly having nothing to do with Israel.

Cut him som slack. He is living in Eastern Europe. Most everything is analysed there on the basis of "how could the Jews be potentially involved?"
:lol: Tamas, just because you left your beet farm in Hungary doesn't mean you're not an Eastern European anymore.  You don't get to mock Eastern Europeans with an air of superiority.

Odd coming from you. :hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on October 01, 2014, 09:24:33 AM

No shit. Besides, i have been voicing the same condescending opinion on east euro politics waaaaay before I left the country. No wonder Dorsey didn't notice though. He only pays attention when I am attacking the latest Democrat memo

DGuller

Quote from: garbon on October 01, 2014, 09:24:33 AM

:hmm: Oh.  :(

DGuller

Quote from: Tamas on October 01, 2014, 09:41:04 AM
No shit. Besides, i have been voicing the same condescending opinion on east euro politics waaaaay before I left the country. No wonder Dorsey didn't notice though. He only pays attention when I am attacking the latest Democrat memo
Oh, the irony.  The spokesman for Austrian economics on Languish is implying that I'm ideologically rigid.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Brain

Quote from: Zanza on October 01, 2014, 12:28:20 AM
The claim that democracy is a uniquely western concept is not supported by studies as there are well-working democracies in all parts of the world, except the Middle East, Central Asia and Central Africa. Here is the Economist's democracy index (from 2012, so some may be outdated e.g. Thailand) for example:

Text and map don't match.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

mongers

We seem to have a lot of threads about Turkey and several major Erdogan discussions in other threads also, but rather than start yet another one, I thought this old thread was the best match to today's news.

Erdogan wastes no time in flexing his newly enhanced democratic credentials:

Turkey detains supporters of Erdogan rival Gulen in raids

Turkish police have arrested 44 people suspected of having links to an exiled Islamic cleric accused of seeking to overthrow the government.

Top bureaucrats and police officers were among those held in a crackdown on supporters of Fethullah Gulen, the state-run Anadolu agency said.

Mr Gulen is a rival of President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, whose AK party regained its majority in Sunday's election.

European observers said violence and media restrictions marred the polls.

On Tuesday, left-wing magazine Nokta said two of its editors had been charged with plotting a coup in the government's latest move against opposition media outlets.

Cevheri Guven and Murat Capan were arrested over a magazine cover criticising the election results that read: "The start of civil war in Turkey."

An Istanbul court later ordered that the magazine's latest edition be withdrawn from the shelves, accusing it of inciting the public to commit a crime.

Full article here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-34709324

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Martinus

Quote from: The Brain on October 01, 2014, 11:39:31 AM
Quote from: Zanza on October 01, 2014, 12:28:20 AM
The claim that democracy is a uniquely western concept is not supported by studies as there are well-working democracies in all parts of the world, except the Middle East, Central Asia and Central Africa. Here is the Economist's democracy index (from 2012, so some may be outdated e.g. Thailand) for example:

Text and map don't match.

Yeah, the democratic areas are the ones inhabited, colonised or closely subjugated (like India) by Westerners. :P

Monoriu

Quote from: Martinus on November 04, 2015, 01:09:35 AM

Yeah, the democratic areas are the ones inhabited, colonised or closely subjugated (like India) by Westerners. :P

That description doesn't fit S. Korea or Taiwan, as both were Japanese colonies.  On the other hand, many countries that were once western colonies aren't democracies now, see countries in the middle east, Pakistan, Vietnam, Cuba etc. 

Hamilcar

All you representative democracies are just enjoying the kabuki theater. Only in a direct democracy do people have a real say in their governance. Switzerland should have its own shade on that Economist map. May I suggest floating ball of light blue?

Jaron

The Japs have a serious Western fetish though. Prior to that they had an emperor/military dictatorships. :P
Winner of THE grumbler point.

viper37

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 30, 2014, 01:53:36 AM
I seem to recall people thinking Turkey might be ready to join the EU soonish.
Before Erdogan.  And these people were ridiculed because Turkey wasn't a real democracy since the army had too much power in enforcing the non religious constitution...
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.