Human Rights Watch Warns of 'Authoritarian Drift' in Turkey

Started by Syt, September 30, 2014, 12:53:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-turkey-germany-idUSKCN18E0QU

QuoteGermany is free to withdraw troops from Turkey's Incirlik, Turkish minister says

Germany is free to withdraw its troops stationed at Turkey's Incirlik air base if it wants to, Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said on Thursday, adding Berlin should change its attitude towards Ankara.

In an interview with broadcaster NTV, Cavusoglu said Ankara was not attempting to blackmail Berlin by preventing German lawmakers access to Incirlik, where some 250 German troops are stationed as part of the coalition against Islamic State.

Turkish officials have told Reuters that such a visit by German lawmakers would not be appropriate at the moment.

Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen on Wednesday said the German government had been evaluating possible alternatives to Incirlik for some time and was considering moving the troops to Jordan.

"If they want to leave, that is up to them," Cavusoglu said. "We are not going to beg. They were the ones who wanted to come and we helped them. If they want to go, we would say 'Goodbye'," he said.

Relations between NATO allies Germany and Turkey have deteriorated sharply after a series of diplomatic rows.

Most recently, Turkey has expressed anger that Germany is granting asylum to Turks accused of participating in a failed coup in July. The failed putsch prompted a purge of the Turkish military, judiciary and civil service.

German officials have said more than 400 Turkish citizens with diplomatic passports and other government work permits have sought asylum in Germany since last year's failed coup.

Cavusoglu said that Germany should change its attitude towards Turkey.

"You can't treat Turkey as you wish anymore," he said. "If you want to get closer to Turkey, treat it like a friend, don't act like a boss."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

https://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2017/05/27/turkey-president-recep-tayyip-erdogan-stadium-arena-ban-galatasaray

QuoteTurkish president Erdogan orders teams to remove 'arena' from stadium names

Turkish power Galatasaray has become the first team in that country to remove the word "arena" from its stadium's name, following an order from president Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

In a speech delivered Friday in Istanbul, Erdogan said he had instructed Sports Minister Akif Cagatay Kilic to remove "arena" from stadium names in the country due to the word's ancient Roman history.

"I am against 'arena,'" Erdogan said. "Of course you know what they used to do in arenas in the past? They would let people be shred to pieces. We are going to remove the word 'arena' from stadiums."

Erdogan also noted that the word does not exist in the Turkish language and "stressed the need for Turkey to develop its own language,
" according to the Agence France-Presse.

Galatasaray announced Saturday that the club's Turk Telecom Arena will now be known as Turk Telekom Stadium. Rival Besiktas plays at the Vodafone Arena and the Fenerbahce basketball team plays at Ulker Sports Arena.

Erdogan narrowly won a constitutional referendum last month that granted him near-dictatorial powers. The controversial leader survived an attempted coup last year.

Turkish basketball player Enes Kanter called Erdogan "the Hitler of our century" last week when he was detained at a Romanian airport after Turkish authorities canceled his passport.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Duque de Bragança

LULZ

As if bull-fighting (or sand  :P) never existed in Asia Minor.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on May 28, 2017, 07:06:50 AM
LULZ

Next he'll change the names of the months and build a giant golden statue of himself

celedhring

"Stadium" is such a red-blooded Turkish word. And nothing wrong ever took place in stadiums, as everybody is aware.

Savonarola

I can't help but thinking of Esposito from "Bananas" whenever Erdogan issues statements like this.  It's time for Fielding Mellish to step up:

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Larch

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-40163369

QuoteGermany set to quit Turkey's Incirlik airbase amid row

Germany says it plans to move its aircraft and military personnel out of Turkey's Incirlik airbase, as Turkey refuses to allow visits by German MPs.

Defence Minister Ursula von der Leyen said they would relocate to Jordan's Azraq airbase.

German Tornado jets fly reconnaissance missions over Iraq and Syria from Incirlik, helping US-led forces fighting so-called Islamic State (IS).

German-Turkish talks broke down in Ankara on Monday.

German Foreign Minister Sigmar Gabriel said 250 German troops and military equipment would have to transfer from Incirlik, in southern Turkey.

The reason, he explained, was that his Turkish counterpart Mevlut Cavusoglu had told him visits to the base by German MPs could not take place.

According to Ms von der Leyen, Jordan has agreed to host the German contingent at Azraq. She said there would be a suspension of the German surveillance flights for a few weeks.

Germany also flies a tanker plane from Incirlik to refuel warplanes participating in the air campaign against IS.

The German government is expected to formally approve the transfer later this month.

Verbal attacks

Last month, Turkey prevented a group of German MPs from visiting Incirlik, citing as a reason Germany's decision to grant asylum to Turkish soldiers it accuses of taking part in last year's attempted coup.

More than 400 Turkish military staff, diplomats, members of the judiciary and other officials and their relatives have applied for political asylum in Germany. Some requests have been granted, though Germany has not given a precise figure.

A bitter war of words erupted between the two Nato allies in the run-up to Turkey's 16 April referendum, which resulted in President Recep Tayyip Erdogan winning sweeping new powers.

He was furious that Germany prevented Turkish ministers from campaigning for him on German soil, and he accused Berlin of "Nazi-style" behaviour.

Meanwhile, Germany remains concerned over Turkey's detention of German-Turkish Die Welt journalist Deniz Yucel.

Zanza

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

alfred russel

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on May 28, 2017, 07:06:50 AM
LULZ

It is just a rejection of the Roman/Greek heritage, with a reference to it being brutal and savage.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Duque de Bragança

The Brain