Human Rights Watch Warns of 'Authoritarian Drift' in Turkey

Started by Syt, September 30, 2014, 12:53:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 25, 2017, 07:23:24 PM
The Istanbul Bourse is up 760% since Erdogan took office.
The number of incarcerated journalists and opposition politicians is probably up even more.

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Zanza

12th March 2003, you would get 1,647,003 Turkish Lira per US dollar. They renominated in 2005, 1,000,000:1, so these days this would be 1.64 TRY to the USD. The current rate is about 3.58, so the TRY is now worth about 45.8% as much compared to the dollar. Multiply that with the 760% gain and you have about 350% gain.

Zoupa

Valmy

I am not even sure how that compares to other stockmarkets over the same period.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Zoupa on April 26, 2017, 02:02:29 PM
Why is that pertinent Yi? I don't get it.

It's from an Economist article about the ambiguous relationship between democracy and investment.  I thought it was a fun factoid.

CountDeMoney

But wait, there's more!

Dating shows are out and oh, by the way, 4,000 government employees[/b]

The worse thing about all this isn't what it's doing to Turkey, it's the ideas it's giving to Trump.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 25, 2017, 07:20:43 PM
Quote from: mongers on April 25, 2017, 03:50:29 PM
Should the thread be retitled something along the lines of "One party rule in Turkey" ?

Fast and the Furious: Authoritarian Drift

Wasted with this group of cretins and dullards. WASTED!
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 29, 2017, 08:57:13 PM
You'll miss me when I'm dead.

I'll print out your joke and read it again whenever i do.

CountDeMoney

Locking up all those pilots just drops the chance of getting to watch them strafe the deck at 800 feet on CNN again.