The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on November 25, 2014, 10:40:57 AM
Wait 60 witnesses?  That must have been one crowded street.

They allowed other witnesses, such as Wilson's supervisor, to tell the grand jury what a great cop he is.  You know, stuff that happens during a trial, not a grand jury.

11B4V

They must be having a sale. Buy one OE foty, get one free.

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

derspiess

Burning buildings and cop cars keep things nice & toasty.

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on November 25, 2014, 12:14:50 PM

It's a good thing those weren't armored vehicles.  That might have provoked people into doing something rash.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Valmy on November 25, 2014, 10:54:55 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 25, 2014, 10:54:12 AM
Well one cannot say they were not thorough.

That's not usually the goal.

It is when the stakes for getting it right are so high.

That is what petit (trial) juries are usually used for.

I do get your point and would be inclined to agree if the principle were more generally applied rather than reserved for very particular application.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

citizen k

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on November 25, 2014, 12:34:32 PM

It's a good thing those weren't armored vehicles.  That might have provoked people into doing something rash.

This situation is different and you know it.  This was a planned riot, the rabble was all there ready to rock.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on November 25, 2014, 12:55:18 PM

This situation is different and you know it.  This was a planned riot, the rabble was all there ready to rock.

No.  It's not.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 25, 2014, 11:51:56 AM
Wait 60 witnesses?  That must have been one crowded street.

They allowed other witnesses, such as Wilson's supervisor, to tell the grand jury what a great cop he is.  You know, stuff that happens during a trial, not a grand jury.

What the hell?  What does that have to do with whether or not there was enough evidence to take him to trial?  Ok so maybe it was a highly unorthodox Grand Jury hearing.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on November 25, 2014, 12:56:54 PM
Quote from: Valmy on November 25, 2014, 12:55:18 PM

No.  It's not.

Yes.  It is.  This thing has been all over social media for months.  These are the usual clowns who show up at every G-8 summit or whatever.

Valmy

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 25, 2014, 12:42:13 PM
I do get your point and would be inclined to agree if the principle were more generally applied rather than reserved for very particular application.

Indeed.  It is a pity we have to wait until people are burning down cities to understand why Police shooting people dead is destabilizing to law and order and needs to be seriously addressed.