The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Martinus on November 25, 2014, 02:42:42 AM
To me, people who insist on teaching the Anonymous the "real meaning of Guy Fawkes' mask" are as tedious as people who insist on explaining that a swastika is really a Hindu symbol of luck. SYMBOLS CHANGE MEANING. :P
Yeah. But in this scenario Brits are the Hindus. We still burn effigies of Guy Fawkes (and occasionally the Pope - also Putin, Cameron etc.) every year it's because, as a country, we hate Catholics not freedom :P

I'd be equally happy with just locking Anonymous up for being annoying tits and giving succour to Russell Brand :bleeding:

QuoteComic books > 17th century history. :contract:
No :sleep:
Let's bomb Russia!

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on November 25, 2014, 10:52:57 AM
Anyway, the police clearly seemed to be holding back last night.

Cooler heads are prevailing right now in the government, they are clearly acting more strategically even if I disagree with the decision of letting it out at night.  Should have been done at 6:30 in the am. 

But they fucked it up pretty thoroughly right after the original event occured. 
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 25, 2014, 10:54:12 AM
Quote from: Valmy on November 25, 2014, 10:40:57 AM
Well one cannot say they were not thorough.

That's not usually the goal.

It is when the stakes for getting it right are so high.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Malthus

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 25, 2014, 10:53:22 AM
To me, people who insist on teaching the Anonymous the "real meaning of Guy Fawkes' mask" are as tedious as people who insist on explaining that a swastika is really a Hindu symbol of luck. SYMBOLS CHANGE MEANING. :P
Yeah. But in this scenario Brits are the Hindus. We still burn effigies of Guy Fawkes (and occasionally the Pope - also Putin, Cameron etc.) every year it's because, as a country, we hate Catholics not freedom :P

I'd be equally happy with just locking Anonymous up for being annoying tits and giving succour to Russell Brand :bleeding:

Is this leading to an English Civil War hijack?!  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ed Anger

I can imagine Prince Rupert running them down in the Dollar Tree parking lot.

I just got a boner.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Man what would have happened if Prince Rupert had returned at Edgehill eh?  That sure would have changed things.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Valmy on November 25, 2014, 10:58:46 AM
Man what would have happened if Prince Rupert had returned at Edgehill eh?  That sure would have changed things.

I just got another boner.

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on November 25, 2014, 10:54:29 AM
Cooler heads are prevailing right now in the government, they are clearly acting more strategically even if I disagree with the decision of letting it out at night.  Should have been done at 6:30 in the am. 

I'm not convinced there was a perfect time to make the announcement.  Make it at 6:30am and you screw up people's commutes.  You'll have some rioting throughout the day and I'd bet by nightfall you'd still have a bunch of burning buildings and cars.  Rioters gonna riot.  Looters gonna loot.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Martinus

Quote from: Malthus on November 25, 2014, 10:56:03 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on November 25, 2014, 10:53:22 AM

Is this leading to an English Civil War hijack?!  :D

The English are too well mannered to do a hijack. It would more likely be an English Civil War digression.

derspiess

Looks like there will be a demonstration I'll need to walk through to get my Chipotle this afternoon for lunch. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on November 25, 2014, 11:01:09 AM
Looks like there will be a demonstration I'll need to walk through to get my Chipotle this afternoon for lunch.

All that sodium will kill you.

Valmy

If anybody bothers you just shout 'Justice for Michael!'

CountDeMoney

You should be used to the concept of years of frustration and pent-up rage from a community that gets no satisfaction, only empty promises and hollow guarantees.  After all, you root for the Bengals.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on November 25, 2014, 10:54:55 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 25, 2014, 10:54:12 AM
Quote from: Valmy on November 25, 2014, 10:40:57 AM
Well one cannot say they were not thorough.

That's not usually the goal.

It is when the stakes for getting it right are so high.
I don't know what grand juries do, but isn't that the job of a trial or do they just duplicate? :mellow:

QuoteIs this leading to an English Civil War hijack?!  :D
The long dreamed of :o
Let's bomb Russia!