The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

CountDeMoney

Meanwhile, in Deseret--

QuoteDeadly police force has claimed more lives in Utah than nearly any other type of homicide in the last five years, according to an analysis by the Salt Lake Tribune.

Law enforcement officers killed 45 people in Utah between 2010 and October 2014, accounting for 15 percent of all homicides during that period. That made police use of force the second most common type of homicide in the state after intimate partner violence, according to the paper's review of more than 300 homicides.

"The numbers reflect that there could be an issue and it's going to take a deeper understanding of these shootings," said Chris Gebhardt, a former police officer in both Washington, D.C. and Utah.

Utah prosecutors have deemed all but one of the killings justified, the Tribune found. The single shooting deemed unjustified was the 2012 death of a young woman by a West Valley City officer. Last month, a judge dismissed criminal charges against the officer after finding no evidence that the "conduct was not legally justifiable."

Ian Adams, spokesman for the Utah Fraternal Order of Police, defended officers' actions to the Tribune.

"Police are trained and expected to react to deadly threats. As many deadly threats emerge is the exact amount of times police will respond," said Adams, who this summer shot and wounded a man who pointed a fake gun at him. "The onus is on the person being arrested to stop trying to assault and kill police officers and the innocent public."

While Utah has one of the nation's lowest violent crime rates, the Tribune examination of FBI statistics found Utah had the nation's 10th highest rate of reported assaults on police officers.

Valmy

No indictment.  Well at least there was a grand jury hearing where all the evidence was examined and it seems due diligence was carried out.

Now lets hope they are as careful and professional when it comes to dealing with any fallout.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Ed Anger

Valmy

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 24, 2014, 09:35:30 PM
Here we go. Shields out.

I liked the V for Vendetta guys with the upside down American flags.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Valmy on November 24, 2014, 09:37:59 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on November 24, 2014, 09:35:30 PM
Here we go. Shields out.

I liked the V for Vendetta guys with the upside down American flags.

Those need to be found floating upside down in a river.

Razgovory

Anyone wearing a Guy Fawkes mask should be beaten with a bag of door knobs out of general principle.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Quote from: Razgovory on November 24, 2014, 09:43:48 PM
Anyone wearing a Guy Fawkes mask should be beaten with a bag of door knobs out of general principle.

I'll hold em down while you beat them.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on November 24, 2014, 09:33:58 PM
No indictment.  Well at least there was a grand jury hearing where all the evidence was examined and it seems due diligence was carried out.

Sounds to me, since we have conflicting witness statements, none of them mattered.  A trial would've approached that differently.

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 24, 2014, 09:50:50 PM

Sounds to me, since we have conflicting witness statements, none of them mattered.  A trial would've approached that differently.

I didn't get that impression.  But maybe you are right.

But the main thing for me is that these things get thorough investigations and get treated seriously.  Citizens of the United States being shot dead should be a very serious matter and it seems many times this does not happen.

derspiess

I'm watching MNF.  Is the police hat guy out demonstrating?  He was my favorite :lol:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

sbr

Quote from: Valmy on November 24, 2014, 09:54:28 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 24, 2014, 09:50:50 PM

I didn't get that impression.  But maybe you are right.

But the main thing for me is that these things get thorough investigations and get treated seriously.  Citizens of the United States being shot dead should be a very serious matter and it seems many times this does not happen.

I agree.

The problem is the process is never transparent and the cop NEVER get indicted, so it is pretty hard to just trust the system blindly.

Admiral Yi

I was unaware the testimony conflicted.  I thought his friends didn't see what happened in the car, only what happened out of it.  And AFAIK the friends' testimony wasn't challenged.