The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Martinus on November 24, 2014, 09:45:11 AM
I don't know. I am not a trained cop. I would imagine police would be trained to disable (rather than kill) children, even if they appear dangerous.
Yeah, in this situation, the cop should've definitely aimed for the leg.

CountDeMoney

Knock it out of his hand with a Bat Boomerang from his Bat Utility Belt.  What can't those things do.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

Quote from: Syt on November 24, 2014, 09:02:31 AM
I suppose it would depend on the circumstances of each situation. In this one, if you tell the kid to put the hands up and instead he reaches for the gun, then you have to make a split second decision of whether or not he will try to shoot you.

What would you have done?

I don't know. I am not a trained cop. I would imagine police would be trained to disable (rather than kill) children, even if they appear dangerous.

Absolutely.  I can imagine that being a major topic they cover at the academy:

"Okay recruits, this morning we're going over the finer points on how to shoot kids..."
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

mongers

Really these cops are just feminists plying their divisive agenda to outlaw all toy weapons*.

* This assumes cops don't start shooting children armed with Barbie dolls.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Syt

I read one of the cops hurt his ankle and needed treatment. He probably walked backwards. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

derspiess

Quote from: Syt on November 24, 2014, 10:09:32 AM
I read one of the cops hurt his ankle and needed treatment. He probably walked backwards. :P

...into traffic.  He's lucky it was just an ankle.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

mongers

It's an interesting heritage project, playing tribute to the the Vietnam war, free-fire playground zones.  :cool:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 24, 2014, 09:56:22 AM
Knock it out of his hand with a Bat Boomerang from his Bat Utility Belt.  What can't those things do.

No shit. :D

But, my sympathy to DG and Marty for being so ignorant.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

sbr

I suppose it would depend on the circumstances of each situation. In this one, if you tell the kid to put the hands up and instead he reaches for the gun, then you have to make a split second decision of whether or not he will try to shoot you.

Cop should have tackled him.

sbr

I don't know how to feel that there wasn't even a mention here of the shooting at Florida State University last week, I guess no one but the shooter died so that's good.

I knew right away the shooter wasn't an FSU football player, otherwise the campus police would have never showed up to investigate.

11B4V

Quote from: sbr on November 24, 2014, 12:44:40 PM

Naw, they should have disabled him. Contrary to DG and Marty's ignorance, cops are trained to disable perps with their service weapon. Just not how they think.

In most instances and contrary to popular belief, patrol officers don't shoot with the intent to kill.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Barrister

Quote from: 11B4V on November 24, 2014, 12:55:44 PM

Naw, they should have disabled him. Contrary to DG and Marty's ignorance, cops are trained to disable perps with their service weapon. Just not how they think.

In most instances and contrary to popular belief, patrol officers don't shoot with the intent to kill.

Now I'm not a cop either, but I do work with them every single day of the week.

My understanding is that you're splitting hairs here.  No, police do not shoot with the intent to kill, however they do shoot with the intent to stop the assailant - which means hooting at the centre body mass.  Which of course has a very good chance of being lethal.

Marty - police are of course taught a great many forms of non-lethal force.  The use of deadly force is only to be used as a "last resort".  But guess what - a suspect who ignores directions and is reaching for what appears to be a firearm is such a "last resort" situation.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

11B4V

Quote from: Barrister on November 24, 2014, 01:04:12 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on November 24, 2014, 12:55:44 PM

Now I'm not a cop either, but I do work with them every single day of the week.

My understanding is that you're splitting hairs here.  No, police do not shoot with the intent to kill, however they do shoot with the intent to stop the assailant - which means hooting at the centre body mass.  Which of course has a very good chance of being lethal.

Marty - police are of course taught a great many forms of non-lethal force.  The use of deadly force is only to be used as a "last resort".  But guess what - a suspect who ignores directions and is reaching for what appears to be a firearm is such a "last resort" situation.

Yes