The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Probably black, you probably snickered and sent out lolniggercats memes to all your buddies.  Creepy ass cracker.

KRonn

I think if this really explodes into violence again then Ferguson is going to become a pariah town. Businesses moving out, property values plummeting, people who can will be moving out and that'll take the more prosperous people who have the means further degrading the town's tax base and economy. I don't think other towns like Watts Cal have ever really recovered from their rioting, have they?

Eddie Teach

Watts has the advantage of being a part of Los Angeles, so prone to be gentrified sooner or later.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

KRonn

Towns ripped apart like that can recover but it'll likely take years. I figure many businesses won't be remaining if they've been burned and trashed a couple times or more. People start moving out, if they can sell their homes because if the town hasn't recovered then people aren't very likely to buy property and want to move in.

derspiess

Our previously troubled section of town is gentrifying quite nicely.  One does wonder if all that progress could be undone in the wake of a single unfortunate event, though.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Quote from: KRonn on November 18, 2014, 09:33:15 PM
I think if this really explodes into violence again then Ferguson is going to become a pariah town. Businesses moving out, property values plummeting, people who can will be moving out and that'll take the more prosperous people who have the means further degrading the town's tax base and economy. I don't think other towns like Watts Cal have ever really recovered from their rioting, have they?

Yeah, that town is dead.   I went through there, it's not bad.  It certainly hasn't been torn up badly, but merchants are going to move out.  The local Walmart is already closed. Ten years it'll be like North St. Louis.  It's one of the things I find most depression about this. Most the protesters don't give a fuck either, they aren't from there. 

Btw, Watts and Compton have sorta bounced back.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Looks like shit is about to happen.  County prosecutor is preparing a press conference and Holder is telling the police to exercise restraint.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

citizen k

http://news.yahoo.com/fbi-arrests-two-ferguson-bomb-suspects-law-enforcement-050501108.html
No, it wasn't the KKK.

Against this backdrop of heightened tensions, according to a law enforcement source, two men described as reputed members of a militant group called the New Black Panther Party, were arrested in the St. Louis area in an FBI sting operation.

As initially reported by CBS News, the men were suspected of acquiring explosives for pipe bombs that they planned to set off during protests in Ferguson, according to the official, who spoke to Reuters on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to publicly discuss the case.

The official said the two men are the same pair named in a newly unsealed federal indictment returned on Nov. 19 charging Brandon Orlando Baldwin and Olajuwon Davis with purchasing two pistols from a firearms dealer under false pretenses.

Martinus

QuoteThe official said the two men are the same pair named in a newly unsealed federal indictment returned on Nov. 19 charging Brandon Orlando Baldwin and Olajuwon Davis with purchasing two pistols from a firearms dealer under false pretenses.

I thought anyone could just go into a store in the US and buy a gun - so how does "false pretences" work in this situation?

Or was it a part of a more widely recognised crime of "purchasing firearms while black"?

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on November 18, 2014, 11:13:22 PM
It's one of the things I find most depression about this. Most the protesters don't give a fuck either, they aren't from there. 

I find it quite fitting - a bunch of racists who live there will get their just desserts.

Admiral Yi

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on November 23, 2014, 01:57:34 AM
QuoteThe official said the two men are the same pair named in a newly unsealed federal indictment returned on Nov. 19 charging Brandon Orlando Baldwin and Olajuwon Davis with purchasing two pistols from a firearms dealer under false pretenses.

I thought anyone could just go into a store in the US and buy a gun - so how does "false pretences" work in this situation?

Or was it a part of a more widely recognised crime of "purchasing firearms while black"?

They were attempting to purchase firearms for someone who is not allowed to have them.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

So, it looks like the Cleveland police have just shot a black 12 y.o. waving a toy gun...

Caliga

Quote from: Martinus on November 24, 2014, 08:02:59 AM
So, it looks like the Cleveland police have just shot a black 12 y.o. waving a toy gun...
So Cleveland/America/cops/white people     suck/are stupid/evil/racist ?  :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points