The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 09, 2014, 12:35:21 PM
It's nearly impossible to be as race-conscious as the three of you.

At least I'm willing to admit this nation has race issues that are integral to and unavoidable in our society, one that affects virtually every aspect of daily life, and we are absolutely no closer to dealing with it successfully now than we were in 1865 or 1965.
Saying it doesn't exist or saying it's "better", and not addressing it directly, is a bullshit cop-out.

Berkut

If it was the case that we were no better off now that in 1865, then I guess it is pretty hopeless to even bother trying.

Of course, that isn't the case at all.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on October 09, 2014, 12:34:27 PM
:blush: Thought I was responding to you.

How did anything I said reflect race consciousness?

I said whether you were shot dead because you ran away from the cops and then were alleged to shoot at them first, or whether you were shot dead because they busted through your door unannounced (but with a warrant) and you shot at them, it wouldn't matter much to you (you'd be dead) or those who care about you (you'd be dead).

Where's the race consciousness in that?

Eddie Teach

If you had commented "But you're white and he's black and that's how your math works" it would make more sense. ;)
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on October 09, 2014, 12:59:33 PM

I said whether you were shot dead because you ran away from the cops and then were alleged to shoot at them first, or whether you were shot dead because they busted through your door unannounced (but with a warrant) and you shot at them, it wouldn't matter much to you (you'd be dead) or those who care about you (you'd be dead).

The quoted post he replied to, he thought you were the author.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

I was confused and thought you had written the post that Seedy wrote.  I hereby retract any previous allegations of race-consciousness as far as you are concerned  :pope:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on October 09, 2014, 01:13:12 PM

I was confused and thought you had wrote the post that Seedy wrote.  I hereby retract any previous allegations of race-consciousness as far as you are concerned  :pope:

:hug:

Razgovory

There is something seriously wrong when I start siding with Derspeiss.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Berkut on October 09, 2014, 12:54:49 PM
If it was the case that we were no better off now that in 1865, then I guess it is pretty hopeless to even bother trying.

Yeah, let's sit on our laurels.  After all, they can vote now and they got a President, so what's their problem?

Berkut

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 09, 2014, 02:49:21 PM
Quote from: Berkut on October 09, 2014, 12:54:49 PM

Yeah, let's sit on our laurels.  After all, they can vote now and they got a President, so what's their problem?

Do you even have any idea how silly you sound?

If in fact we had made no progress since 1865, then we should sit on our laurels - hell, if the effect of 160 years of trying is "no better now than then" then we should probably conclude it is hopeless.

This is YOUR argument, not mine.

The reality is of course that we have made incredible progress, which suggests that we should *continue* to work, since progress is being made. Your argument, in your fanatical desire to make everything binary, is actually arguing against your own supposed desires.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on October 09, 2014, 02:16:21 PM

NLCS, BABY!!!  :punk:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jacob

Quote from: Razgovory on October 09, 2014, 02:16:21 PM

Definitely. Time to reassess your assumptions and reasoning.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

My idiot brother drove up to St. Louis for some reason.  He just called on his cell to ask why they street is blocked off and every one is rioting.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017