The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 09, 2014, 12:00:44 PM
and not just be satisfied with the end result like you, which is one less black man in this world.

That's your thang, not mine, CountDeKermitGosnell.  As in the Michael Brown shooting, I'm withholding judgment on the cop until we know all the facts.

One of these days, maybe they'll get you to shoot first, too.

Oddly, I don't see myself being made to shoot at a cop, CountDeMumia.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on October 09, 2014, 12:20:21 PM

Don't make me search the gun thread for your statements about "defending your family" during a forced entry warrant execution, Wayne.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 09, 2014, 12:23:54 PM

Don't make me search the gun thread for your statements about "defending your family" during a forced entry warrant execution, Wayne.

That's a bit different from assaulting a cop in an alley and then shooting at him, innit?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on October 09, 2014, 12:29:34 PM
That's a bit different from assaulting a cop in an alley and then shooting at him, innit?

If they kill you as a result, I'm not sure how much you and your family would care about those differences.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on October 09, 2014, 12:29:34 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 09, 2014, 12:23:54 PM

No.  But you're white and he was black, and that's how your math works.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 09, 2014, 12:31:12 PM

That's uncalled for.  I'm not nearly as race-conscious as you & Seedy apparently are.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on October 09, 2014, 12:32:12 PM

That's uncalled for.  I'm not nearly as race-conscious as you & Seedy apparently are.

The fuck you aren't.  And it's all three of me, don't sell me short.

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on October 09, 2014, 12:32:12 PM

... wait... CountDeMoney and Seedy are two different posters? :unsure:

derspiess

Eddie Teach

It's nearly impossible to be as race-conscious as the three of you.

This is addressed to Seedy, but Jacob and Speiss can ponder whether it should apply to them as well.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on October 09, 2014, 11:14:42 AM
Quote from: Malthus on October 09, 2014, 11:02:56 AM
My impression is that the Toronto cops at least have grown a lot *less* like that: the "us versus them" meme was very strong when I was growing up, and the cops were notorious for doing stuff that would be largely unthinkable or highly scandalous now (the infamous "Cherry Beach Express" was an example - the cops were known to take 'undesireables' they had no actual reason to book down to Cherry Beach - then a very isolated and deserted place at night - and beat the living shit out of them).

Are you sure it isn't more to do with the changes in your own life during the time - as a kid you probably had reasons to be somewhat fearful of police, whereas now you do not?

That must be nice. I'll likely always have a reason to be fearful.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

I'm not at all race-conscious.  When I look at people, I don't see white people or black people.  I make sure to only go to places where I can see white people.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: DGuller on October 09, 2014, 12:42:00 PM
I'm not at all race-conscious.  When I look at people, I don't see white people or black people.  I make sure to only go to places where I can see white people.

Do you manage to pass?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on October 09, 2014, 12:42:00 PM

I get the joke but I think you need to workshop it more.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.