Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

Now you're getting nasty. 

Go fuck up a different thread, Leon Trollsky.

garbon

https://gma.yahoo.com/unrest-st-louis-police-officer-shoots-kills-man-061859179--abc-news-topstories.html

QuoteUnrest in St. Louis After Police Officer Shoots, Kills Man

The fatal shooting of an 18-year-old black man in south St. Louis by an off-duty police officer sparked a night of unrest in a city still reeling from the August slaying of an unarmed man in nearby Ferguson.

Wednesday's shooting happened at about 7:30 p.m. in the city's Shaw Neighborhood, and involved an officer working a department-approved secondary job for a private security company, Police Chief Sam Dotson said at an early-morning news conference.

The officer approached a group of men. One of the men took off running, Dotson said, so the officer pursued. Dotson said the suspect approached the officer in an "aggressive" manner, with a physical altercation occurring. The man then turned and fired three rounds at the officer before his gun jammed, Dotson said.

The officer, who was not injured, returned fire, shooting 17 times and fatally wounding the man, Dotson said.

A gun was recovered at the scene. The officer was placed on administrative leave, as per department policy, police said.

Police have not identified the officer or the man he killed.

The incident comes nearly two months to the day after the police shooting of Michael Brown, 18, in the St. Louis suburb of Ferguson, located about 20 miles away. Brown's shooting sparked weeks of protests and spawned national discourse about police use of force.

Some of the people protesting recently in Ferguson were seen in St. Louis after Wednesday's shooting, Dotson said.

"Tensions in the region are very high," Dotson said. "Any police officer use of force certainly will draw attention."

St. Louis Alderman Antonio French, who documented the turmoil in Ferguson after Brown's Aug. 9 shooting death, reflected on the region's renewed anguish.

"At the scene of yet another young man's death," he wrote on Twitter. "This happens too often in our city. It's a crisis that we should all be concerned about."

Activists took to the streets of St. Louis overnight, marching and chanting, seeking answers.

Some police vehicles were damaged during the protests, with windows smashed, Dotson said.

People also shared their frustration on social media, with #shawshooting the most popular national trending topic on Twitter.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

HANDS UP DON'T SHOOT (even if I shoot at you first)
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DGuller

Quote from: garbon on October 09, 2014, 08:24:47 AM
https://gma.yahoo.com/unrest-st-louis-police-officer-shoots-kills-man-061859179--abc-news-topstories.html

QuoteUnrest in St. Louis After Police Officer Shoots, Kills Man

The fatal shooting of an 18-year-old black man in south St. Louis by an off-duty police officer sparked a night of unrest in a city still reeling from the August slaying of an unarmed man in nearby Ferguson.

Wednesday's shooting happened at about 7:30 p.m. in the city's Shaw Neighborhood, and involved an officer working a department-approved secondary job for a private security company, Police Chief Sam Dotson said at an early-morning news conference.

The officer approached a group of men. One of the men took off running, Dotson said, so the officer pursued. Dotson said the suspect approached the officer in an "aggressive" manner, with a physical altercation occurring. The man then turned and fired three rounds at the officer before his gun jammed, Dotson said.

The officer, who was not injured, returned fire, shooting 17 times and fatally wounding the man, Dotson said.

A gun was recovered at the scene. The officer was placed on administrative leave, as per department policy, police said.

Police have not identified the officer or the man he killed.

The incident comes nearly two months to the day after the police shooting of Michael Brown, 18, in the St. Louis suburb of Ferguson, located about 20 miles away. Brown's shooting sparked weeks of protests and spawned national discourse about police use of force.

Some of the people protesting recently in Ferguson were seen in St. Louis after Wednesday's shooting, Dotson said.

"Tensions in the region are very high," Dotson said. "Any police officer use of force certainly will draw attention."

St. Louis Alderman Antonio French, who documented the turmoil in Ferguson after Brown's Aug. 9 shooting death, reflected on the region's renewed anguish.

"At the scene of yet another young man's death," he wrote on Twitter. "This happens too often in our city. It's a crisis that we should all be concerned about."

Activists took to the streets of St. Louis overnight, marching and chanting, seeking answers.

Some police vehicles were damaged during the protests, with windows smashed, Dotson said.

People also shared their frustration on social media, with #shawshooting the most popular national trending topic on Twitter.
Couldn't he just shoot the gun out of his hand?

garbon

The only question I really have is whether or not he needed 17 bullets to make sure the shooter died. Seems wasteful.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ed Anger

Considering cop pistol accuracy, they needed 17 rounds to get a few hits.

MAH DOUGHNUTS
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on October 09, 2014, 09:06:49 AM
The only question I really have is whether or not he needed 17 bullets to make sure the shooter died. Seems wasteful.
That's a waste he can probably live with, given the potentially fatal consequences of only using 16 and then having the perp then kill him.  No rentacop ever won the war on crime by dying for his stupidity; he won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his stupidity.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on October 09, 2014, 09:06:49 AM

Plenty of room in the budget to cover that.  They burn through way more than that at the range.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on October 09, 2014, 08:54:15 AM
HANDS UP DON'T SHOOT (even if I shoot at you first)

God you are loathsome.  Seriously why embrace being a horrible human being to this extent?  What do you get out of it?  Do the deaths of American Citizens fill you with glee for some reason?

Anyway obviously if you shoot at the cops you are going to be shot.  It is a consequence of the unwarranted shootings of Black Men that this justified one is now a touchstone.  This is why you be really careful about training police when to shoot, their legitimacy with the American people is being undermined.

QuoteCouldn't he just shoot the gun out of his hand?

Yuck yuck.  I love seeing the fabric of our society being underminded.  Go to hell.

Seriously I do not get the humor here.  Maybe to you guys dead American Citizens and Cops is funny.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on October 09, 2014, 09:27:36 AM
God you are loathsome.  Seriously why embrace being a horrible human being to this extent?  What do you get out of it?  Do the deaths of American Citizens fill you with glee for some reason?

There you go again.  I was mocking the street protests that sprang up over this most recent shooting, not the shooting itself.  Had it not been for these silly protests, I wouldn't have bothered to comment.

QuoteAnyway obviously if you shoot at the cops you are going to be shot.  It is a consequence of the unwarranted shootings of Black Men that this justified one is now a touchstone.  This is why you be really careful about training police when to shoot, their legitimacy with the American people is being undermined.

Ah, so you're buying into the "evil white cops are hunting down innocent defenseless black teens" narrative?  Really?

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on October 09, 2014, 09:37:12 AM
Ah, so you're buying into the "evil white cops are hunting down innocent defenseless black teens" narrative?  Really?

Even if one was to hypothetically say that in general police aren't scumbags - it is a problem if people perceive it to be their lived reality.

That reminds me, the one recent bit on SNL I liked involved the white guy speaking about how black people can say all sorts of stuff while white people are rather hemmed in. The black guy (who is just generally awful and should be replaced already) said actually one key thing we can never say is "Thank you, officer, for your help." :D :(

Syt

Quotean officer working a department-approved secondary job for a private security company

Cop pay is that bad, huh?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.