The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on September 14, 2014, 12:37:38 PM

I know Seedy knows what the 21' rule is. However you still need to link that the suspect has Opportunity, Capability, and Intent to employ deadly force. Just because the chap has a knife doesnt mean you automatically shoot him.

It's all context.  We had a guy once with one of those butcher cleaver knives, the big square ones, in a 10' by 10' quiet room.  One way in, one way out.  Didn't have to shoot him.  Rushed him with a shitload of mattresses.   His intent wasn't to carve up some cops, his intent was to harm himself.

As far as I'm concerned, the video that prompted this entire discussion, they didn't have to shoot him.  At that particular moment, at least.

QuoteMight help explain more of the mind set.

http://www.policemag.com/channel/patrol/articles/2007/10/rethinking-the-21-foot-rule.aspx

LOL, PoliceMag.

http://www.policemag.com/channel/vehicles/news/2011/07/01/maryland-transportation-authority-police-lose-take-home-vehicles.aspx

Worked so fucking hard on that program.   :(

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on September 08, 2014, 11:31:13 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 08, 2014, 11:25:26 AM
It's what negroes do.  If it's not our white women, it's our guns.

Keep on white knighting, white knight.  I shudder to think how they'd get along without you.

White Knighting?  Really?  Going for sociopathic douchebag shit now?  Of course you cheer on government officials shooting US citizens unnecessarily despite wanting the government to leave people alone.  How you work out those mental gymnastics is beyond me. 
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on September 14, 2014, 03:14:33 PM
Quote from: derspiess on September 08, 2014, 11:31:13 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 08, 2014, 11:25:26 AM
It's what negroes do.  If it's not our white women, it's our guns.

Keep on white knighting, white knight.  I shudder to think how they'd get along without you.

White Knighting?  Really?  Going for sociopathic douchebag shit now?  Of course you cheer on government officials shooting US citizens unnecessarily despite wanting the government to leave people alone.  How you work out those mental gymnastics is beyond me. 

Pretty easy if you don't think black people are people.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Officer was shot tonight.  If only he backed up more. :(
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on September 27, 2014, 11:19:39 PM

What is wrong with you?  In none of the situations we talked about did the person have a gun.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Sometimes Raz gets overstimulated and lashes out wildly.  Saw a lot of that at the animal shelter.

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on September 27, 2014, 11:52:13 PM

What is wrong with you?  In none of the situations we talked about did the person have a gun.

He did have a weapon.  Therefore the police should have backed up.  It's the police's fault what with the militarization and such.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBUUO_VFYMs

Guy gets shot because he moves too fast in getting his license. (0:40)

Good news: he survives.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 27, 2014, 11:57:12 PM
Sometimes Raz gets overstimulated and lashes out wildly.  Saw a lot of that at the animal shelter.

:D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on September 27, 2014, 11:52:13 PM

After all the years you and he have been here, you have to ask what is wrong with him?

When you engage with him after he says stupid stuff like this, you just encourage him to say more stupid stuff.

One option is to refuse to engage him when he says stupid stuff.  The better option is not to engage him no matter what he says.   :P
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Syt on September 28, 2014, 04:10:18 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBUUO_VFYMs

Guy gets shot because he moves too fast in getting his license. (0:40)

Good news: he survives.

Better news:  cop gets fired and criminally charged. 
Had his bail review last week: $75,000. 
Former Officer of the Year for the South Carolina State Police.  Future convict.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Syt on September 28, 2014, 10:51:38 AM
I hear he pleads not guilty.

He can plead all he wants, he's going to go to jail. 

"Why'd you shoot me?"
"You dove headfirst into your car."  Sorry, not a reason to use lethal force, dumbass.

Also, notice how the suspect victim actually apologizes to the officer that shot him, refers to him as "sir", etc.?

Maybe it'll help dispel the derspiessian notion that every black man is some sort of menacing Mandingo copkillin' nigger that needs to be shot  in an encounter with police because he's about to kick off this Nat Turner party and start some murder up in this motherfucker on the way to the convenience store to rape some white women.

But it won't.

CountDeMoney

It's not a shooting, but here's a clip from my old crew that's been on all the news lately:

http://youtu.be/kP_TtBPpIRM

Greenmount and North, LOL, good times.

Now, as bad as the black officer acts in laying all those haymakers, neither of the two white officers did anything during or after:  Internal Affairs didn't know about this incident until the guy's lawyers forwarded this video to them, and while they began an investigation, they didn't bring it to the Commissioner's attention--until it hit the evening news.

And you'll see one white officer--the one with the black hair--has orange tabs on his epaulettes: they have little sergeant pins on them, and that means he's the OD;  since there was no sergeant on duty in that sector that evening, he was the one in charge that night.  And didn't do a goddamned thing about it.

And yet people still ask me why I quit. Officers like that will get you fired, hurt or worse.  Fuck that.