The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Fuck John Crawford. He caused a panic and a woman dropped dead.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

grumbler

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 01, 2014, 02:06:55 PM
Fuck John Crawford. He caused a panic and a woman dropped dead.

Exactly.  By forcing the police to shoot him,* he directly caused the death of a 37-year-old woman who died of a heart attack when she heard the gunshots.

I also don't know how he couldn't have expected to die when he threatened the police, after being shot, by saying "it's not real."  Suicide by cop?

* They really didn't have a choice; he was facing away from them, and using the gun as a cane while he talked on the phone.  Clearly, a man facing away from police and talking on a phone is about to murder them.  And not killing him on the spot, or even telling him to turn around, would obviously be "running away."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Ed Anger

I knew they would be trouble when they put that RTA bus stop at Fairfield Commons.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Berkut

http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2014/06/dash_cam_footage_from_open_car.html

Apparently it is possible to deal with someone acting irrationally and armed without just blowing him away 20 seconds into the stop.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

CountDeMoney

Oh, Jeffrey...you know damn well a crazy white guy walking around with an assault rifle is nowhere near as dangerous as an unarmed black teen.

garbon

I'm glad that they didn't kill that guy but man...that sure underlines the treatment of whites vs. blacks.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Berkut

What I thought was interesting (and encouraging) about that article was that the cops were actually discussing the legal and constitutional implications of their options.

Mostly it seems like cops are not aware of those implications, or if they are, it is strictly from the standpoint of "Have we done the minimum so we can pretend like we met them?"
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 08, 2014, 10:54:09 AM
Oh, Jeffrey...you know damn well a crazy white guy walking around with an assault rifle is nowhere near as dangerous as an unarmed black teen.

Was the white guy harming anyone?  I think they were a bit lenient on him but he kept his distance from people and didn't seem to really be much of a threat.  A bit different from punching a cop inside his car and going for his gun.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on September 08, 2014, 11:20:09 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 08, 2014, 10:54:09 AM

Was the white guy harming anyone?  I think they were a bit lenient on him but he kept his distance from people and didn't seem to really be much of a threat.  A bit different from punching a cop inside his car and going for his gun.

Is that what all those dead black guys were doing?

CountDeMoney

It's what negroes do.  If it's not our white women, it's our guns.

derspiess

Quote from: Jacob on September 08, 2014, 11:21:22 AM

Oh, I thought this one Michigan case was being compared against the Missouri one this thread was started for. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 08, 2014, 11:25:26 AM

Keep on white knighting, white knight.  I shudder to think how they'd get along without you.

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on September 08, 2014, 11:30:09 AM
Quote from: Jacob on September 08, 2014, 11:21:22 AM

Oh, I thought this one Michigan case was being compared against the Missouri one this thread was started for. 

There have been a lot more fatal shootings of black people since then*, many of which have been discussed in this thread.

*really before then too.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on September 08, 2014, 11:31:13 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 08, 2014, 11:25:26 AM

Keep on white knighting, white knight.  I shudder to think how they'd get along without you.

As I am not afraid of black people, I never felt compelled to shoot any of them.  Creepy ass cracker.