The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Berkut on August 28, 2014, 10:33:49 AM
I suspect spicey would be the kind of cop itching to get a "kill".

Those don't last long.  Unfortunately they usually get their 1 before then.

derspiess

You know me so well.  It's like you're in my mind & stuff.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Berkut

Quote from: derspiess on August 28, 2014, 12:17:29 PM

You aren't exactly difficult to figure out.

"He was walking towards me with the knife, so I shot him...did I move away? No, of course not. Why would I do that?"
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on August 28, 2014, 12:17:29 PM

Maybe it was when you applied for your concealed weapon permit, under "Reason" you wrote "Just because" in crayon.

derspiess

Quote from: Berkut on August 28, 2014, 12:27:35 PM

"He was walking towards me with the knife, so I shot him...did I move away? No, of course not. Why would I do that?"

Yeah, I'm sure your made-up psychological profile of me is easy to figure out since you're the one who came up with it.

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 28, 2014, 12:36:28 PM
Maybe it was when you applied for your concealed weapon permit, under "Reason" you wrote "Just because" in crayon.

I don't have a CCW permit.  But in Ohio you don't have to name a reason.  Shall Issue FTW
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DGuller

Quote from: derspiess on August 28, 2014, 01:28:37 PM

Yeah, I'm sure your made-up psychological profile of me is easy to figure out since you're the one who came up with it.
To be fair, you're not exactly a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma.  I've written 10 line programs that have been harder to decipher than your mind.

derspiess

Quote from: DGuller on August 28, 2014, 01:53:03 PM

To be fair, you're not exactly a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma.  I've written 10 line programs that have been harder to decipher than your mind.

:)

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

A fellow Perl user! :w00t: :hug:

frunk

++++++++[>+>++>+++>++++>+++++>++++++>+++++++>++++++++>+++++++++>++++++++++>+++++++++++>++++++++++++>+++++++++++++>++++++++++++++>+++++++++++++++>++++++++++++++++<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<-]>>>>>>>>>>>----.++++<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>.<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>+.-<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>+++.---<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>.<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>+.-<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>+++.---<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>--.++<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>-.+<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>----.++++<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>.<<<<>>>>>>+.-<<<<<<>>>>>>.<<<<<<>>>>.<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>----.++++<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>+.-<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>--.++<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>---.+++<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>+++.---<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>----.++++<<<<<<>>>>.<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>++.--<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>---.+++<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>----.++++<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>.<<<<>>>>>>>>>+.-<<<<<<<<<>>>>.<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>++.--<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>---.+++<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>----.++++<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>.<<<<>>>>>>>>>----.++++<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>---.+++<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>++.--<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>+++.---<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>+.-<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>---.+++<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>+++.---<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>+++.---<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>.<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>+++.---<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>+.-<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>--.++<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>-.+<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>----.++++<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>.<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>++.--<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>---.+++<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>+.-<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>----.++++<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>.<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>+.-<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>----.++++<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>.<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>+.-<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>--.++<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>+.-<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>-.+<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>+.-<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>+.-<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>+++.---<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>--.++<<<<<<.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Razgovory

I'm with speiss here.  Having the police run away from the guy with the knife doesn't solve the issue that they were called in to deal with: A man was menacing people with a knife.  If they had tazers perhaps they should have used those, but the situation was unlikely to be solved without violence.  It was essentially a suicide by cop.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

frunk

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on August 28, 2014, 02:08:10 PM
Rolling out Brainfuck is cheating. :P

Fine.

The Infamous Hello World Program.

Romeo, a young man with a remarkable patience.
Juliet, a likewise young woman of remarkable grace.
Ophelia, a remarkable woman much in dispute with Hamlet.
Hamlet, the flatterer of Andersen Insulting A/S.

Act I: Hamlet's insults and flattery.

Scene I: The insulting of Romeo.

[Enter Hamlet and Romeo]

Hamlet:
You lying stupid fatherless big smelly half-witted coward!
You are as stupid as the difference between a handsome rich brave
hero and thyself! Speak your mind!

You are as brave as the sum of your fat little stuffed misused dusty
old rotten codpiece and a beautiful fair warm peaceful sunny summer's
day. You are as healthy as the difference between the sum of the
sweetest reddest rose and my father and yourself! Speak your mind!

You are as cowardly as the sum of yourself and the difference
between a big mighty proud kingdom and a horse. Speak your mind.

Speak your mind!

[Exit Romeo]

Scene II: The praising of Juliet.

[Enter Juliet]

Hamlet:
Thou art as sweet as the sum of the sum of Romeo and his horse and his
black cat! Speak thy mind!

[Exit Juliet]

Scene III: The praising of Ophelia.

[Enter Ophelia]

Hamlet:
Thou art as lovely as the product of a large rural town and my amazing
bottomless embroidered purse. Speak thy mind!

Thou art as loving as the product of the bluest clearest sweetest sky
and the sum of a squirrel and a white horse. Thou art as beautiful as
the difference between Juliet and thyself. Speak thy mind!

[Exeunt Ophelia and Hamlet]

Act II: Behind Hamlet's back.

Scene I: Romeo and Juliet's conversation.

[Enter Romeo and Juliet]

Romeo:
Speak your mind. You are as worried as the sum of yourself and the
difference between my small smooth hamster and my nose. Speak your
mind!

Juliet:
Speak YOUR mind! You are as bad as Hamlet! You are as small as the
difference between the square of the difference between my little pony
and your big hairy hound and the cube of your sorry little
codpiece. Speak your mind!

[Exit Romeo]

Scene II: Juliet and Ophelia's conversation.

[Enter Ophelia]

Juliet:
Thou art as good as the quotient between Romeo and the sum of a small
furry animal and a leech. Speak your mind!

Ophelia:
Thou art as disgusting as the quotient between Romeo and twice the
difference between a mistletoe and an oozing infected blister! Speak
your mind!

[Exeunt]

Berkut

Quote from: Razgovory on August 28, 2014, 02:47:06 PM

I'm with speiss here.  Having the police run away from the guy with the knife doesn't solve the issue that they were called in to deal with: A man was menacing people with a knife.  If they had tazers perhaps they should have used those, but the situation was unlikely to be solved without violence.  It was essentially a suicide by cop.

Who said anything about running away?

This is in response to the claim that the officers had to kill him because he got close to them.

Well, it was really more like they got close to him - they could have simply backed away from him while trying to talk him down - they don't have to "run away".

He can't move towards both of them at the same time.

The point is there are options here other than just shoot the guy. Shooting him should be the last option. Yes, if he forces them into that (and he has the power to do so), then it is on him.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Razgovory

If they are backing up, they are essentially running away.  It also increases the danger since the police are walking in a direction they aren't facing.  Since both officers were standing next to each other the guy with the knife could move towards both at the same time.  Besides being dangerous, backing up only delays thing since the man with the knife was approaching the officers demanding they shoot him.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Backing up is backing up.  Running away is running away.