The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I drove through there yesterday.  You'd think form the news that there is this enormous ghetto in flames.  The protests are on like three blocks.  Folks there seemed to be just normal folks, going about their business.  I'm beginning to think everything would have been better if nobody outside the community had come in at all and it was just a local issue.  Nobody gave a shit that some crazy guy got shot in St. Louis city yesterday.  Most of the residents moved out of the city to get away from shit like that.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Quote from: Razgovory on August 20, 2014, 05:33:23 PM
I drove through there yesterday.  You'd think form the news that there is this enormous ghetto in flames.  The protests are on like three blocks.  Folks there seemed to be just normal folks, going about their business.  I'm beginning to think everything would have been better if nobody outside the community had come in at all and it was just a local issue.  Nobody gave a shit that some crazy guy got shot in St. Louis city yesterday.  Most of the residents moved out of the city to get away from shit like that.

Hell, that Jake Tapper wuss was comparing it to Bagram in Afghanistan.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

Heard today the officer was pretty beat up after this.  Had to do xrays see if his skull was fractured.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Tonitrus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 20, 2014, 09:45:26 AM
Quote"A knife cannot puncture a vest," another resident said.

The fuck it can't.

But it can puncture one's face/femoral artery, etc.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tonitrus on August 21, 2014, 09:19:23 PM

The fuck it can't.

OK.... :mellow:

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Tonitrus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 21, 2014, 09:25:37 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on August 21, 2014, 09:19:23 PM

The fuck it can't.

OK.... :mellow:

I was decrying the implication from the original quote that all attacks on officers go for the vest.  <_<

Razgovory

I've hard that in prisons guards wear special gear that is more resistant to knives and such.

Siege

Dude, a knife is a fucking toy in the hands of an untrained wanna-be knifer.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Siege on August 22, 2014, 03:23:16 AM

And that's how Siege won the respect of the guys in the Octagon.
PDH!

grumbler

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on August 22, 2014, 06:34:43 AM
Quote from: Siege on August 22, 2014, 03:23:16 AM

And that's how Siege won the respect of the guys in the Octagon.
:lol:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

An assault rifle and body armor puts you at an immediate disadvantage?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

http://rt.com/politics/182116-russian-commission-ferguson-osce/

QuoteSenior MP calls for intl commission to assess US domestic crisis in Ferguson

Deputy State Duma speaker Sergey Neverov has called for various international organizations to create a joint group to assess the US authorities' handling of the ongoing protest in the town of Ferguson.

Neverov, who also chairs the majority United Russia caucus in the Lower House, has told reporters that the international community must not remain indifferent to the crisis situation in the United States – the country that presents itself as a model for democracy. "The events in Missouri have demonstrated that the United States have serious problems based on racial discrimination," Neverov noted in a comment to the Russian daily Izvestia.

The politician said that United Russia wanted to set up a special commission manned with representatives of the UN, PACE and other international groups that would make contact with participants of the events in Ferguson, Missouri, and investigate the lawfulness of the actions of US authorities and law enforcers.

Neverov added that the chairman of the Lower House committee for international relations MP Aleksei Pushkov (United Russia) could head the Russian part of the international commission.

In mid-August, Pushkov denounced the use of tear gas and rubber bullets in Ferguson as "a sign of dictatorship and an excessive use of force" by posting a message on his Twitter.

Izvestia quoted a source in the United Russia party saying they wanted the Russian part of the commission to be manned by MPs, who now participate in the Russian delegation in the PACE.

On Thursday a member of the Presidential Council for Human Rights suggested sending a peacekeeping mission of rights activists to Ferguson in order to stop the violence. Igor Borison told the ITAR-TASS news agency that the measure would prevent "a full scale genocide against its own population" in the United States.

Earlier this week, the Russian Foreign Ministry's envoy for Human Rights, Konstantin Dolgov, said that the unrest in Ferguson was a vivid demonstration of the extreme tensions that exist in modern American society. Dolgov called the curfew, the violent dispersing of rallies and the deployment of the National Guard to the area "a repetition of the race cataclysms" that have shaken the United States in the past.

"While demanding that other countries guarantee the freedom of speech and stop suppressing anti-government protests, at home the US authorities never show any leniency towards those who actively express their discontent with inequality, de-facto discrimination, and the position of second class citizens. As we have all seen, reporters who perform their professional duty also get their share of ill treatment," read the comment posted on the ministry's website.

Tensions remain in the St. Louis suburb of Ferguson where the Missouri governor announced on Monday that he had ordered National Guard troops to be deployed to protect the area from "deliberate, coordinated and intensifying violent attacks on lives and property." The clashes resumed during the week as police used tear gas to disperse protesters. Law enforcers also used live ammunition against the crowd.

The initial protests were prompted by the death of Michael Brown, an unarmed 18-year-old black man who was shot and killed by white police officer, Darren Wilson, on August 9.

:lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.