The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on August 18, 2014, 09:07:31 PM
Quote from: citizen k on August 18, 2014, 07:01:47 PM
Protesters march towards Gov Nixon's #StL office chanting "the Nat'l Guard has got to go"
https://twitter.com/StanfordKMOV/status/501473199935479809/photo/1

Protesters aren't being let in, security told me they're not here on "official business" -
https://twitter.com/StanfordKMOV/status/501474294258757633/photo/1

Good work Raz!

I think they are attacking the Wainwright building.  I'll be down there tomorrow.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 18, 2014, 04:24:35 PM
Maybe. But isn't the national disgrace that this is an aspect of how policing is and, as importantly, is perceived to be for African-Americans. Isn't the shift that white America's noticed?

I cannot speak for the great hive mind of white America but unless you are super isolated from the culture at large I have a hard time seeing somebody not know this.  This has been something talked about in our culture for decades, both as a source of black comedy and in earnest.  The shift may be that now it can be live streamed so white Europe (and everybody else) can notice now if they want to.  But I guess I fail to see how it really matters who is being victimized here, the actions of the cops are a disgrace either way.  It only makes it worse that it is part of a larger cultural disgrace.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

sbr

Quote from: Razgovory on August 18, 2014, 09:30:47 PM
Quote from: Valmy on August 18, 2014, 09:07:31 PM
Quote from: citizen k on August 18, 2014, 07:01:47 PM
Protesters march towards Gov Nixon's #StL office chanting "the Nat'l Guard has got to go"
https://twitter.com/StanfordKMOV/status/501473199935479809/photo/1

Protesters aren't being let in, security told me they're not here on "official business" -
https://twitter.com/StanfordKMOV/status/501474294258757633/photo/1

Good work Raz!

I think they are attacking the Wainwright building.  I'll be down there tomorrow.

That's messed up, Adam's having a great year.

CountDeMoney

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on August 18, 2014, 09:35:17 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on August 18, 2014, 04:24:35 PM
Maybe. But isn't the national disgrace that this is an aspect of how policing is and, as importantly, is perceived to be for African-Americans. Isn't the shift that white America's noticed?

I cannot speak for the great hive mind of white America but unless you are super isolated from the culture at large I have a hard time seeing somebody not know this.  This has been something talked about in our culture for decades, both as a source of black comedy and in earnest.  The shift may be that now it can be live streamed so white Europe (and everybody else) can notice now if they want to.  But I guess I fail to see how it really matters who is being victimized here, the actions of the cops are a disgrace either way.  It only makes it worse that it is part of a larger cultural disgrace.

I think I saw that polling on Republicans though that race was being discussed too much in relation to Ferguson.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

As I said I cannot speak for the hive mind, probably the same people who explained how Rodney King deserved it.

Man remember the days when the cops only beat people?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on August 18, 2014, 11:23:44 PM

I think I saw that polling on Republicans though that race was being discussed too much in relation to Ferguson.

The only time when Republicans don't think race is being discussed to much is when they are discussing how Obama hates white people.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on August 19, 2014, 09:50:03 AM

The only time when Republicans don't think race is being discussed to much is when they are discussing how Obama hates white people.

I remember Rush Limbaugh ranting on how Obama was a black panther who was going to take vengeance on white people.  Obama.  The dude does not have a radical bone in his body.  It was just a total racist fantasy story about the threatening black dude.

Speaking of Obama that speech was total weak sauce.  He is pretty worthless as a leader. 

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on August 19, 2014, 09:56:16 AM

I remember Rush Limbaugh ranting on how Obama was a black panther who was going to take vengeance on white people.  Obama.  The dude does not have a radical bone in his body.  It was just a total racist fantasy story about the threatening black dude.

Speaking of Obama that speech was total weak sauce.  He is pretty worthless as a leader.

I agree that Obama is a bit of a caretaker president, but I'm unsure as to what he ought to be saying in a case like this.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

CountDeMoney

The guy's an Ivy League law grad who would be vacationing in Martha's Vinyard even if he wasn't President of the United States.

You've got more in common with the Dazzling Urbanites of Ferguson than he does.

Edit: Post was for Valmy, not Malthus the Privileged Jew  :P

Razgovory

I can't think of anything productive for him to say.  He could ask for calm, and at the same time ask the Russians to dissolve their nuclear arsenal.

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on August 19, 2014, 10:16:48 AM
Quote from: Valmy on August 19, 2014, 09:56:16 AM

I agree that Obama is a bit of a caretaker president, but I'm unsure as to what he ought to be saying in a case like this.

I thought this was interesting.

http://www.vox.com/2014/8/18/6031197/obama-ferguson-race-speech
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

garbon

Well he did look ridiculous on that Harvard thing. Played his race card too quick and on a largely spurious incident.