The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 15, 2014, 05:48:08 PM
Policing is (not unconnectedly I imagine) like guns for me. There's just a vast cultural gulf. The best I can do is try and understand.

This is not the policing I knew 20 years ago.  This is not the kind of policing we did.

Back then, only LAPD had that kind of militaristic, adversarial philosophy.  But post-9/11, with the Homeland Security grant bonanza combined with the massive influx of combat veteran soldiers into a profession whose only trait it has in common with soldiering is the concept of a rank structure, it has become the norm.

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 15, 2014, 05:56:59 PM
Policing is (not unconnectedly I imagine) like guns for me. There's just a vast cultural gulf. The best I can do is try and understand.

But post-9/11, with the Homeland Security grant bonanza combined with the massive influx of combat veteran soldiers into a profession whose only trait it has in common with soldiering is the concept of a rank structure, it has become the norm.
^^^^^^^^
This right here, IMO, is the biggest problem with PD's nowadays. Badge heavy, PTSD ex-military cops that have no business wearing a badge. Let alone carrying a gun.

I will still maintain that a cops best tool is the one below his nose.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

frunk

Quote from: 11B4V on August 15, 2014, 06:17:58 PM

His mustache?

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Sheilbh

Back then, only LAPD had that kind of militaristic, adversarial philosophy.  But post-9/11, with the Homeland Security grant bonanza combined with the massive influx of combat veteran soldiers into a profession whose only trait it has in common with soldiering is the concept of a rank structure, it has become the norm.
Yeah. It just seems so far from 'police by consent' that I have about as much understanding of American cops as of French gendarmes running through Gare du Nord with what looked to me, as a shit-scared fourteen year old, like machine guns.
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

But post-9/11, with the Homeland Security grant bonanza combined with the massive influx of combat veteran soldiers into a profession whose only trait it has in common with soldiering is the concept of a rank structure, it has become the norm.
^^^^^^^^
This right here, IMO, is the biggest problem with PD's nowadays. Badge heavy, PTSD ex-military cops that have no business wearing a badge. Let alone carrying a gun.

Thanks, two interesting views from the coalfaces, so to speak.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Razgovory

^^^^^^^^

Eh, you are always going to get a share of the bullies and jackasses.  You can't turn them all away because they make up such a significant number of applicants.  The sad truth is that a lot of people become cops so they can throw their weight around.  The people who would make good cops often don't apply.  The best you can do is have a strict organization and keep them on a short leash.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

My dad once asked me why I didn't become a cop like him. I told him there would be too many bodies in the Morgues.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 15, 2014, 07:03:53 PM
My dad once asked me why I didn't become a cop like him. I told him there would be too many bodies in the Morgues.

Also you wouldn't be able to afford a home in France.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

That, IMHO, is the biggest problem BPD has, and why the "Stop Snitching" culture is so ingrained here;  nobody talks to the cops, because the cops aren't talking to them.

What is police work?  When somebody is bitching about their garbage pick-up and getting the run-around from the city, you don't say "hey, that's not my job."  You come back a few days later with a name and a phone number for them to call.  Because that is what gets you picked out from all the other cops on a scene by somebody who has something to say--"I ain't talking to Jones, he a thug, I'll talk to Ryan"--and you will catch up with them later.  And they'll give you a name.  That is police work.   

That's what I never understood why they had the attitudes.  Don't worry about the knuckleheads and the action, there will always be plenty of that to go around, you don't need to look for it.

Giving two teens shit for walking in the street?  You fucking kidding me?  You don't have anything better to do?  Dropping a choke hold on a guy for something like untaxed cigarettes that only warranted a citation?  End your career and possibly go to jail because you couldn't be bothered to talk to him for 10 more minutes?  Choking out a guy from behind when he's already cuffed and not fighting? 

Couldn't work with those guys, and they wouldn't be able to work with me.  Especially that one motherfucker that laid his hands on another cop's prisoner a while back.  That happened to me once, and we damned near came to blows right then and there.  My cuffs, my prisoner.  You don't fucking touch him.  Goddamn, that video made me mad.

Need to go back to community policing, and do it old school.  First thing I'd do is kick everybody out of their cars and get them walking the beat.  You can't police a community from behind rolled up windows and a mobile data terminal.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

QuoteDeputy Travis Junior: To me it doesn't make sense if you gotta pray facin' a certain way... if God's everywhere shouldn't you be able to face any which way when you pray? Like is his receiver somewhere in the Middle East and he's listening to the receiver or somethin'?

Deputy James Garcia: Yeah, it's like, I have a plan with God but it's like a bad cell plan, doesn't work in certain areas.

Deputy Travis Junior: Five calls a day.

Deputy James Garcia: See I got anytime minutes with my God.

alfred russel

I think part of the militarization has to do with the risk aversion we've developed. When the powers that be are arresting a mother for leaving a 9 year old unsupervised in the park, or giving out million dollar judgments for spilling coffee on yourself, or mandating bicycle helmets, what do you think they will do when it comes to something genuinely dangerous like policing in troubled neighborhoods? Maybe it used to be acceptable, even in more violent times, to just knock on the door and talk to a likely criminal, but now you need the security of an armored vehicle.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014