The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on August 15, 2014, 01:24:14 PM
Hmm...
http://m.stltoday.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/michael-brown-a-suspect-in-robbery-of-cigars-from-store/article_52c40b84-ad90-5f9a-973c-70d628d0be04.html?mobile_touch=true

The issue is that the video of the robbery shows a man with sandals on his feet. The picture of Michael Brown's body shows him wearing high-top sneakers.

Deadly force is ridiculous in this case, anyway, but now it also appears that the shot the wrong guy.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on August 15, 2014, 02:10:10 PM
Deadly force is ridiculous in this case, anyway, but now it also appears that the shot the wrong guy.

Oh for...
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: derspiess on August 15, 2014, 01:24:14 PM
Hmm...
http://m.stltoday.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/michael-brown-a-suspect-in-robbery-of-cigars-from-store/article_52c40b84-ad90-5f9a-973c-70d628d0be04.html?mobile_touch=true

The issue is that the video of the robbery shows a man with sandals on his feet. The picture of Michael Brown's body shows him wearing high-top sneakers.

According to what I've read, the other fellow admitted the two of them did the shoplifting/robbery - or at least, that's what his lawyer said.

QuoteJohnson acknowledged to the FBI and other investigators that he and Brown went to the store and "that he did take cigarillos," his attorney, Freeman Bosley, told MSNBC.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/ferguson/article20073213/
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

merithyn

Wonder how the shoe thing happened, then. I've seen the pics, and it does appear that they have two different kinds of shoes on.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on August 15, 2014, 09:56:46 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 14, 2014, 09:43:08 PM
Incidentally, I suspect the folks in Fergusson are not what the open carry advocates have in mind.

I don't know.  Most of the nutty right wingers I see tend to be on the folks in Fergusson's side.  Ted Cruz and Rand Paul, who Spicey cruises and stands with, have said so.  This may be another horrible symptom of irrational fear of the black man but publicly everybody seems to be against the cops on this one.

Looking at that Breitbart site, I get the impression the those people are animals and police needs to come down harder on them.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on August 15, 2014, 02:51:55 PM
Quote from: Valmy on August 15, 2014, 09:56:46 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 14, 2014, 09:43:08 PM
Incidentally, I suspect the folks in Fergusson are not what the open carry advocates have in mind.

I don't know.  Most of the nutty right wingers I see tend to be on the folks in Fergusson's side.  Ted Cruz and Rand Paul, who Spicey cruises and stands with, have said so.  This may be another horrible symptom of irrational fear of the black man but publicly everybody seems to be against the cops on this one.

Looking at that Breitbart site, I get the impression the those people are animals and police needs to come down harder on them.

Well I guess there are always nuttier right wingers.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

What it really means is there's a bully shoplifter on the loose, and no stone will be left unturned, no rubber bulet left unfired and no unarmed black teen left unshot until this criminal is caught.

Bet his ass grabbed some Skittles, too.  There's your motive and shoot/don't shoot green light right there.  Taste the rainbow.

Malthus

First that guy in NY with the untaxed cigarettes; now this guy and the cigarillos.

Is there any doubt that smoking kills?  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on August 15, 2014, 02:51:55 PM

Breitbart's dead, you should stop looking for guidance from his website.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Scipio

If the appropriate response to shoplifting a box of cigarillos or obstructing traffic is shooting the perpetrator, my police department is doing things all wrong.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Jacob

Quote from: Scipio on August 15, 2014, 04:43:03 PM
If the appropriate response to shoplifting a box of cigarillos or obstructing traffic is shooting the perpetrator, my police department is doing things all wrong.

Apparently the shooting was unconnected to the shop-lifting. The shooting officer was unaware of the shoplifting incident, and the police department has apologized for implying that the two were connected.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Barrister on August 15, 2014, 09:37:45 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 14, 2014, 09:45:55 PM
Yeah, the county mounties seem to have a nasty reputation in their own right.

I've heard the phrase "county mountie" used here in Canada, but it's use in the US seems bizarre.  Since, you know, you don't have any mounties. :huh:

Stop being a goof.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

Quote from: Jacob on August 15, 2014, 04:48:14 PM
Quote from: Scipio on August 15, 2014, 04:43:03 PM

Apparently the shooting was unconnected to the shop-lifting. The shooting officer was unaware of the shoplifting incident, and the police department has apologized for implying that the two were connected.

I wonder if the kid knew that.  It does complicate things though.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

Quote from: Malthus on August 15, 2014, 02:00:55 PM
Obviously not.

It simply changes the public perception of the incident.
Okay. But my view after, like the rest of us, watching a few of these is that the biggest influence of perception is the immediate and total racial element to the story. Which goes both in terms of how the story's told and how it's received.

The view I get, from this forum and reading stories about American cops, is about the whole militarisation of the police that leads to a town like Ferguson  having a police force better armed than the RUC in Belfast during the troubles. That and that I should never stop grovelling and doffing my cap to American police 'officers'.

Policing is (not unconnectedly I imagine) like guns for me. There's just a vast cultural gulf. The best I can do is try and understand.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 15, 2014, 05:48:08 PM
That and that I should never stop grovelling and doffing my cap to American police 'officers'.

I find it better to just not look them in the eye. No reason to call attention to yourself.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.