The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on August 14, 2014, 07:59:43 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 14, 2014, 07:57:06 PM
You're gay, so yes, I'd expect you to miss an Animal House reference for a fucking musical.

One is a famous work of literature and one...well when I watched it a white girl next to me was like yeah show that nigger what is what. :mellow:

:mellow:
I wouldn't expect that sort of response to Oliver!, either.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 14, 2014, 08:05:18 PM
You're gay, so yes, I'd expect you to miss an Animal House reference for a fucking musical.

One is a famous work of literature and one...well when I watched it a white girl next to me was like yeah show that nigger what is what. :mellow:

:lol: :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tonitrus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 14, 2014, 08:03:07 PM
Even military types are saying, "That's pretty fucked up, man."

To be fair to the Ferguson PD:  these Barney Fife amateurs can't handle two kids walking in the street without shooting one of them, they certainly can't be expected to deal with protesters.

To be even more fair to the FPD, from the pics I've seen, most of the po-po military wannabees seem to be coming from St Louis County Police. 

alfred russel

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 14, 2014, 07:50:26 PM
Take pride in your tribe.  :mad:

My tribe is on a 3-13 run, plummeting out of the playoff race, and football season is around the corner. My tribe can fuck itself.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Razgovory

Incidentally, I suspect the folks in Fergusson are not what the open carry advocates have in mind.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tonitrus on August 14, 2014, 09:24:33 PM
To be even more fair to the FPD, from the pics I've seen, most of the po-po military wannabees seem to be coming from St Louis County Police.

Yeah, the county mounties seem to have a nasty reputation in their own right.

QuoteFor at least a decade, there have been complaints about racial tensions between police and black communities in the St. Louis County area. Communities, some residents say, can have less-experienced, poorly-equipped police departments and highly uneven levels of protection.

This year, St. Louis County invited researchers from the University of California at Los Angeles to help study complaints that county police had engaged in racial profiling and to help them improve protocols for matters ranging from traffic stops to neighborhood monitoring.

This came after a former lieutenant with the county police who had been accused of ordering officers to target black people at stores was fired. An investigation determined that he had made "inappropriate racial references."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/even-before-teen-michael-browns-slaying-in-mo-racial-questions-have-hung-over-police/2014/08/13/78b3c5c6-2307-11e4-86ca-6f03cbd15c1a_story.html

derspiess

I'll agree that the police response seems heavy-handed, but let's not ignore the complicity of the rioters and looters here.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on August 14, 2014, 09:54:16 PM
I'll agree that the police response seems heavy-handed, but let's not ignore the complicity of the rioters and looters here.

12 businesses the first night is not exactly the corner of Florence and Normandy.  But I can see how you'd consider protesters as rioters since the initial incidents Sunday night.

Here, this'll warm your cracker cockles:

QuoteST. LOUIS COUNTY – Nine people face charges for looting in Ferguson that followed the fatal shooting of Michael Brown Sunday night into Monday morning, according to St. Louis County Prosecuting Attorney Bob McCulloch.

The nine face varying felony charges relating to burglary and theft along West Florissant.

Charges have been issued against the following so far:

Stephon Thompson, 19, of St. Louis, faces a second-degree burglary charge for breaking into a Foot Locker in the 8000 block of West Florissant.
Robert Stephenson, 28, of St. Louis, faces a second-degree burglary charge for breaking into a Princess Beauty Supply in the 6900 block of West Florissant.
Beonca McRath, 19, of St. Louis County, faces a second-degree burglary charge and stealing under $500 for breaking into a Princess Beauty Supply in the 6900 block of West Florissant. According to court records, McRath stole hair weave from a business.  :lol:
Steven Martin, 27, of St. Louis County, faces a second-degree burglary charge for breaking into a Foot Locker in the 8000 block of West Florissant.
Andrew Henry, 30, of St. Louis, faces a second-degree burglary charge for breaking into a Foot Locker in the 8000 block of West Florissant.
Demarco Harris, 38, of St. Louis County, faces a second-degree burglary charge and charge of stealing under $500 from Nu Fashion Beauty Supply in the 7500 block of West Florissant.
Nikko Fiertag, 23, of St. Louis County, faces a second-degree burglary charge and charge for stealing under $500 worth of shoes from a Foot Locker in the 8000 block of West Florissant.
Michael Davis, 27, of St. Louis County, faces a second-degree burglary charge for breaking into Princess Beauty Supply in the 6900 block of West Florissant.
Trey Brewer, 18, of Dallas, Texas faces a second-degree burglary charge for breaking into Princess Beauty Supply in the 6900 block of West Florissant.

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on August 14, 2014, 06:32:42 PM
Quote from: LaCroix on August 14, 2014, 06:30:26 PM
Quote from: Valmy on August 14, 2014, 04:40:39 PM
It is rather bizarre.  I mean black people are the most beaten down people in this country.  Weird we should fear them.  It is like the irrational hatred of jews, just do not get that one.

indians have it worse. jurisdiction has caused a lot of problems.

Probably true and you should know, you live up where they are.  But nobody fears them.  They mostly live out in the boonies and other people don't bug them much right?

Nah.  WE hardly have black people up here, so you want the group that is unfairly maligned and feared, it's natives.

Probably for the same reasons as blacks though - natives are disproportionately represented in crime statistics.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Tonitrus

So it might be most apt to say that poor people are disproportionally represented in crime statistics.

citizen k

Palestinians Are Sharing Advice With Protesters In Ferguson, Missouri

David M Brooks

As the protests in Ferguson have escalated over the past week, the international community has increasingly turned their attention to the demonstrations stemming from the fatal shooting of an unarmed 18-year-old black man.

Surprisingly, the images and videos of the police crackdown on protesters has resulted in shows of sympathy and support coming all the way from Palestinians in Gaza.

From occupied Palestine we stand with the oppressed in #Ferguson...#FreePalestine #FergusonRiot pic.twitter.com/AyqCTns3pS   
    — فلسطين i (@iFalasteen) August 14, 2014

Made in USA teargas canister was shot at us a few days ago in #Palestine by Israel, now they are used in #Ferguson. pic.twitter.com/y3co6DMFM6   
    — مريم البرغوثي (@MariamBarghouti) August 14, 2014

Palestinians have often dealt with tear gas and rubber bullets used against their own protests, and some have been passing on advice on how to deal with them:

People in Gaza are tweeting information on how to handle tear gas to the citizens of Ferguson.
    — Rabih Alameddine (@rabihalameddine) August 14, 2014

Don't Keep much distance from the Police, if you're close to them they can't tear Gas. To #Ferguson from #Palestine   
    — Rajai abuKhalilرجائي (@Rajaiabukhalil) August 14, 2014

Always make sure to run against the wind /to keep calm when you're teargassed, the pain will pass, don't rub your eyes! #Ferguson Solidarity
    — مريم البرغوثي (@MariamBarghouti) August 14, 2014

And as the protests in Ferguson have continued, people in the community have expressed appreciation and mutual support for the people in Gaza.

The fact Gaza tweeting to the people in Ferguson how to stop tear gas and Ferguson crowd chanting "Free Gaza" is amazing
    — Faithful Black Man (@CountOnRodney) August 14, 2014

Posts showing solidarity have continued to erupt over social media as others become aware of the situation in the U.S. and as groups find commonality in their own struggles.

Hamde Abu tells #Ferguson that #Palestine knows what it means to be shot for your ethnicity pic.twitter.com/56aKRQHZnI   
    — Rana Nazzal (@zaytouni_rana) August 14, 2014

In Ferguson, the protests on Thursday entered their sixth day as Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon (D) replaced local police forces with patrolman from the State Highway patrol.

Martinus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 14, 2014, 08:05:18 PM

:D

Martinus

Quote from: Martinus on August 14, 2014, 04:56:01 PM
Quote from: Barrister on August 14, 2014, 04:50:47 PM
Quote from: Valmy on August 14, 2014, 04:40:39 PM
It is rather bizarre.  I mean black people are the most beaten down people in this country.  Weird we should fear them.  It is like the irrational hatred of jews, just do not get that one.

It's not that irrational.  For a variety of reasons blacks commit crimes and a much greater rate than whites.

Is the rate statistically significant in absolute terms to justify the prejudice?

More importantly, what are the statistics on violent crimes against unrelated third parties when you compare white and black populaces (as opposed to drug related crimes or gang related crimes, for example, where fear of a populace prone to commit such crimes would indeed be quite irrational).

Bump. The floor is yours, counsellor. :P

Barrister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 14, 2014, 09:45:55 PM

I've heard the phrase "county mountie" used here in Canada, but it's use in the US seems bizarre.  Since, you know, you don't have any mounties. :huh:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on August 15, 2014, 09:37:45 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 14, 2014, 09:45:55 PM

I've heard the phrase "county mountie" used here in Canada, but it's use in the US seems bizarre.  Since, you know, you don't have any mounties. :huh:

We know that but we still use the term.  Good day, sir. :angry:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall