The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

citizen k

Rep. John Lewis On Ferguson: 'Declare Martial Law'

Civil rights icon Rep. John Lewis (D-Ga.) called on President Barack Obama to declare martial law in Ferguson, Missouri, where police and protesters have clashed after a police officer shot and killed unarmed black teenager Michael Brown on Saturday.

"It is very sad and unbelievable. It's unreal to see what the police is doing there," Lewis said in a Thursday interview with MSNBC's Andrea Mitchell. "First of all, Ferguson, Missouri, is part of the United States of America. People have a right to protest. They have a right to dissent. They have a right to march in an orderly, peaceful, nonviolent fashion. And the press has a right to cover it."

Lewis, whose skull was fractured by police during the 1965 march over the Edmund Pettus Bridge in Selma, Alabama, told Mitchell that the situation in Ferguson reminds him of "the '40s, the '50s, the '60s," pointing to the dearth of black officers on the St. Louis suburb's police force.

"So my own feeling, right now, is that President Obama should use the authority of his office to declare martial law. Federalize the Missouri National Guard to protect people as they protest," Lewis said. "And people should come together. Reasonable elected officials, community leaders and address what is happening there."

He continued: "If we fail to act, the fires of frustration and discontent will continue to burn, not only in Ferguson, Missouri, but all across America."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/14/john-lewis-ferguson_n_5679033.html#203_watch-footage-taken-after-ryan-reillys-arrest

Sheilbh

I thought this tweet by Erick Erickson was quite striking, 'Shouldn't have to wait for a white kid from a rich neighborhood to die to recognize more police are acting like heavy handed paramilitaries'.

Also Rand Paul:
http://time.com/3111474/rand-paul-ferguson-police/
Let's bomb Russia!

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Sheilbh

:lol:

An Arab journo I follow on Twitter did ask if Qatar had  already chosen a proxy in the Ferguson Spring.
Let's bomb Russia!

Martinus

QuoteTips For Being An Unarmed Black Teen
INFOGRAPHIC • Civil Rights • Race • Violence • News • ISSUE 50•32 • Aug 14, 2014

With riots raging in Ferguson, Missouri following the shooting death by police of an unarmed African-American youth, the nation has turned its eyes toward police brutality, social injustice, and the continuing crisis of race relations throughout the U.S. Here are The Onion's tips for being an unarmed black teen in America:

Shy away from dangerous, heavily policed areas.
Avoid swaggering or any other confident behavior that suggests you are not completely subjugated.
Be sure not to pick up any object that could be perceived by a police officer as a firearm, such as a cell phone, a food item, or nothing.
Explain in clear and logical terms that you do not enjoy being shot, and would prefer that it not happen.
Don't let society stereotype you as a petty criminal. Remember that you can be seen as so much more, from an armed robbery suspect, to a rape suspect, to a murder suspect.
Try to see it from a police officer's point of view: You may be unarmed, but you're also black.
Avoid wearing clothing associated with the gang lifestyle, such as shirts and pants.
Revel in the fact that by simply existing, you exert a threatening presence over the nation's police force.
Be as polite and straightforward as possible when police officers are kicking the shit out of you.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/tips-for-being-an-unarmed-black-teen,36697/?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=SocialMarketing&utm_campaign=LinkPreview:1:Default

Valmy

It is rather bizarre.  I mean black people are the most beaten down people in this country.  Weird we should fear them.  It is like the irrational hatred of jews, just do not get that one.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on August 14, 2014, 04:32:18 PM
Quote from: citizen k on August 14, 2014, 04:05:02 PM

Actually it's not the worst idea.  The governor has already sent in the Highway Patrol.  If the Patrol fails, you send in the National Guard.  Whatever the grievances the public has against the police department rioting should occur.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on August 14, 2014, 04:40:39 PM
It is rather bizarre.  I mean black people are the most beaten down people in this country.  Weird we should fear them.  It is like the irrational hatred of jews, just do not get that one.

It's not that irrational.  For a variety of reasons blacks commit crimes and a much greater rate than whites.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on August 14, 2014, 04:48:41 PM
Quote from: derspiess on August 14, 2014, 04:32:18 PM
Quote from: citizen k on August 14, 2014, 04:05:02 PM

Actually it's not the worst idea.  The governor has already sent in the Highway Patrol.  If the Patrol fails, you send in the National Guard.  Whatever the grievances the public has against the police department rioting should occur.

Martial law rarely sounds like a good idea, certainly not here.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

It is rather bizarre.  I mean black people are the most beaten down people in this country. 

Historically or currently?

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on August 14, 2014, 04:51:46 PM
It is rather bizarre.  I mean black people are the most beaten down people in this country. 

Historically or currently?

Currently.  They are generally always in the shittiest shape in all the stats.  It goes Whitey, Latinos, Blacks.  Asians not being important or whatever.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Quote from: derspiess on August 14, 2014, 04:51:05 PM
How is it different than this:

Except, perhaps, better disciplined?
Let's bomb Russia!

Martinus

Quote from: Barrister on August 14, 2014, 04:50:47 PM

It's not that irrational.  For a variety of reasons blacks commit crimes and a much greater rate than whites.

Is the rate statistically significant in absolute terms to justify the prejudice?

More importantly, what are the statistics on violent crimes against unrelated third parties when you compare white and black populaces (as opposed to drug related crimes or gang related crimes, for example, where fear of a populace prone to commit such crimes would indeed be quite irrational).

derspiess

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 14, 2014, 04:55:35 PM
Quote from: derspiess on August 14, 2014, 04:51:05 PM
How is it different than this:

Except, perhaps, better disciplined?

Better disciplined and more restrictive.  Unless it's some benevolent version of martial law I'm unfamiliar with.

I'm not defending the tactics currently being used, mind.