The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on August 13, 2014, 04:15:00 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 13, 2014, 03:38:57 PM
So if I were to participate by taking a photo of myself flipping the camera off with a 40 in my lap and then a picture of my graduation day from college - would I be "living the stereotype?"

You'd certainly appear to be doing so.  But why would you do that?

Because I felt like flipping the camera off and drinking a 40?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on August 13, 2014, 04:19:39 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 13, 2014, 03:40:37 PM
Besides really, should the existence of stereotypes choose how one feels like living?

May be just a personal preference, but yeah I think it's generally a good idea to try to avoid negatively stereotypical habits.  For example, I grew up in Appalachia and have tried to avoid those related stereotypes.

Ah so it is a personal worry of looking like a hick. Understandable.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on August 13, 2014, 04:22:59 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 13, 2014, 03:49:56 PM
Well, of course. The point of me posting that was to show that the "stereotype" bit by derspiess was ridiculous.

I don't see how it relates.

Why did he have to go around acting like such a fairy?

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Man this Fergusen stuff is off the hook.  This is like 1960s stuff.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

No shit.  Locked up reporters from the Washington Post and Huffington in a McDonald's for not moving fast enough when the cops told everybody to leave.
No explanation as to why the McDonald's had to be emptied.

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on August 13, 2014, 04:29:27 PM
Quote from: derspiess on August 13, 2014, 04:22:59 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 13, 2014, 03:49:56 PM
Well, of course. The point of me posting that was to show that the "stereotype" bit by derspiess was ridiculous.

I don't see how it relates.

Why did he have to go around acting like such a fairy?

Yeah, that's the same type of mentality that blames a rape victim for looking like a "slut".

That being said - and perhaps this thread is not the best one to have this discussion - I think we should draw the line somewhere when it comes to being called out on a stereotype - I don't think anyone should be completely immune to that (obviously, anything that involves violence or active persecution is right out). I just think that people who embrace a certain stereotype in order to stand out are hypocrites when they are offended or call it bullying when someone (verbally) reacts negatively to it.

CountDeMoney

Interesting factoid:  Ferguson is 70% black, Ferguson PD has 3 black officers out of 53.

Martinus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 14, 2014, 12:16:44 AM
Interesting factoid:  Ferguson is 70% black, Ferguson PD has 3 black officers out of 53.

Wow, talk about the blacks not wanting to help the situation.

Razgovory

It's shifted a lot in recent years.  Not very long ago it was mostly white.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

I noticed that to.  Another weird corollary with the 60s.

But as Raz mentioned 10 years ago it was majority white.  It is just a burb of St. Louis though right?  I thought maybe it was a recipient of black flight from another area but looking at the shrinking population it looks like whitey is moving out.  Hardly any Asians or Latinos though how weird is that?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Scipio

The state of Mississippi would like to thank Ferguson, MO, for making us look good.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Grey Fox

I like to tell Americans that their government is not out to get you or kill you.

Apparently, the Police feel differently.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

Quote from: Scipio on August 14, 2014, 08:25:40 AM
The state of Mississippi would like to thank Ferguson, MO, for making us look good.

It would take a lot more than that to even make MS look okay. ;)