The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Besides really, should the existence of stereotypes choose how one feels like living?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on August 13, 2014, 03:40:33 PM
Quote from: derspiess on August 13, 2014, 03:36:31 PM
How about not living the stereotype?

That's even more un-Languishlike.

I can't help but laugh given that you're the one saying this. :D

:blush:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on August 13, 2014, 03:38:57 PM

So if I were to participate by taking a photo of myself flipping the camera off with a 40 in my lap and then a picture of my graduation day from college - would I be "living the stereotype?"

No, that would be you having a picture taken with your hair dyed neon blue. :P

mongers

So if I were to participate by taking a photo of myself flipping the camera off with a 40 in my lap and then a picture of my graduation day from college - would I be "living the stereotype?"

Seriously, I thought you wouldn't be seen dead with anyone that old.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

sbr

garbon

Quote from: mongers on August 13, 2014, 03:42:20 PM

Seriously, I thought you wouldn't be seen dead with anyone that old.

:huh:

I think it has been established by now that I don't go for the younger set. :unsure:

garbon

Shouldn't have been a stereotype?

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2014/08/13/man-found-beaten-in-san-franciscos-duboce-triangle-to-be-taken-off-life-support-kalamazoo-michigan-hate-crime/

QuoteA man who was beaten in an alleged hate crime in San Francisco's Duboce Triangle will be taken off life support Wednesday afternoon.

Brian Higgins, 31, was found unconscious Sunday morning in San Francisco's Duboce Triangle neighborhood. He may have been the victim of an assault and attempted murder, police said Tuesday.

Higgins, with roots in Kalamazoo County, Michigan, was part of a community called the Radical Faeries. It's described as a group of gay men looking for a spiritual dimension to their sexuality, according to CBS station NEWESCHANNEL 3.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on August 13, 2014, 03:40:37 PM
Besides really, should the existence of stereotypes choose how one feels like living?

I dunno, derfetus seems to be doing just fine playing to type as a 19th century Amish father.

Martinus

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on August 13, 2014, 03:44:10 PM
Shouldn't have been a stereotype?

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2014/08/13/man-found-beaten-in-san-franciscos-duboce-triangle-to-be-taken-off-life-support-kalamazoo-michigan-hate-crime/

QuoteA man who was beaten in an alleged hate crime in San Francisco's Duboce Triangle will be taken off life support Wednesday afternoon.

Brian Higgins, 31, was found unconscious Sunday morning in San Francisco's Duboce Triangle neighborhood. He may have been the victim of an assault and attempted murder, police said Tuesday.

Higgins, with roots in Kalamazoo County, Michigan, was part of a community called the Radical Faeries. It's described as a group of gay men looking for a spiritual dimension to their sexuality, according to CBS station NEWESCHANNEL 3.

I'm playing it light - otherwise I'd have to rage. I know the flippancy about being killed for "playing a stereotype" is full of shit, garbo.

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on August 13, 2014, 03:47:41 PM
I know the flippancy about being killed for "playing a stereotype" is full of shit, garbo.

Well, of course. The point of me posting that was to show that the "stereotype" bit by derspiess was ridiculous.

Razgovory

Which stereotype?  The Conservative one when he hears some black kid gets shot his immediate thought is

Quote from: derspiess on August 11, 2014, 10:20:10 PM
Apparently this guy was a perfect human being and planned to go to college.  Why is it always those types who seem to be the ones physically attacking cops?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

You'd certainly appear to be doing so.  But why would you do that?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on August 13, 2014, 03:40:37 PM

May be just a personal preference, but yeah I think it's generally a good idea to try to avoid negatively stereotypical habits.  For example, I grew up in Appalachia and have tried to avoid those related stereotypes.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on August 13, 2014, 03:49:56 PM
Well, of course. The point of me posting that was to show that the "stereotype" bit by derspiess was ridiculous.

I don't see how it relates.