The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sophie Scholl

Same. Or police training. I just *love* how delightfully ignorant, naive, or archaic of an understanding of the various shades of the Alt-Right certain people here have. "Militia groups! They're the alt-right!" Yeah. Ok. Please come into the 21st century. The militia groups are the tiny fringe element of the modern movement in terms of numbers and influence.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Richard Hakluyt

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 09, 2020, 06:41:07 AM
Is this article even half-way accurate?
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/v7gxa4/pba-card-police-courtesy-cards?utm_source=pocket-newtab-global-en-GB

Because it is mind-boggling to me that this exists :blink:

This paragraph seems like it could just as easily apply to the UK:

QuoteIn practice, Correia and Wall said those who are able to "get off easy" from an encounter with the police typically look and act a lot like Mike, an affable white person who respects police authority and is careful to address them with friendly deference—to act the part of the sheepish, apologetic innocent who understands that the cop is "just doing their job."
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on September 09, 2020, 08:44:36 AM
I've known quite a few cops and I never got one of those cards :angry:

They probably discovered we were anti-public sector unions :(
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DGuller

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/v7gxa4/pba-card-police-courtesy-cards?utm_source=pocket-newtab-global-en-GB

Yes, NYPD is very notorious for this.  I know someone who mentioned that this card got him out of five tickets, as he was describing how he avoided being arrested for shooting off illegal fireworks. 

Hopefully NYPD is the worst of the lot when it comes to this.  Obviously this is corrupt as fuck, but just as obviously, police union doesn't see it that way.  They don't even realize how bad it sounds that this card is requesting that "every courtesy is to be extended to the holder", as if the regular civilians are not deserving of courtesy from police.

Eddie Teach

I imagine those stickers people get have a similar effect.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

Quote from: DGuller on September 09, 2020, 08:52:57 AM

Yes, NYPD is very notorious for this.  I know someone who mentioned that this card got him out of five tickets, as he was describing how he avoided being arrested for shooting off illegal fireworks. 

Hopefully NYPD is the worst of the lot when it comes to this.  Obviously this is corrupt as fuck, but just as obviously, police union doesn't see it that way.  They don't even realize how bad it sounds that this card is requesting that "every courtesy is to be extended to the holder", as if the regular civilians are not deserving of courtesy from police.

I recall a bit about these cards/stickers years ago, probably on John Oliver, John Stewart, or Colbert Report.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DGuller

Quote from: Eddie Teach on September 09, 2020, 09:22:10 AM
I imagine those stickers people get have a similar effect.
From what I heard, not really.  The PBA card is pretty special, because there is an individual cop behind one, and defying the card means risking a conflict with the officer to gave it.  All the memorabilia that you get from donating to police under one guise or another (another totally not corrupt practice) is far more likely to be ignored.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

derspiess

Only thing I ever got was a poker chip from a buddy of mine who is a US Marshal. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on September 09, 2020, 01:55:04 PM
Only thing I ever got was a poker chip from a buddy of mine who is a US Marshal. 

Assisting you with illegal gambling eh?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Quote from: derspiess on September 09, 2020, 01:55:04 PM

Was it:  platinum?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Barrister

Surprisingly nuanced article for Vice.  They do point out that it's all just a matter of discretion, which police have all the time anyways.  And the last thing you'd ever want is for police to not have any discretion in laying charges.

I'm kind of shocked at the numbers though - NY PBA hands out 20 cards per officer per year.  That's a lot of fucking cards.  I'm happy to at least see that the cards are tied to specific officers and that they do double-check them, but still.

And mostly - I'd be mortified to put any cop friend of mine in such a position.  In my years as a Crown I've been pulled over twice.  Neither time did I ever mention being a Crown.  Once the cop did figure out who I was (I was driving a government-owned vehicle) and he did not give me a ticket, the other didn't figure it out and did.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.