The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

yeah make sense I am just worried a general anti-police sentiment will take hold in your country, which would be really detrimental, regardless of how many cruel racist shitheads there are in the force.

fromtia

Quote from: Valmy on September 04, 2020, 12:59:11 AM
Quote from: chipwich on September 03, 2020, 07:18:08 PM
Protest-riots have no bearing on whether a cop gets convicted or not.

Agreed, the illegality of the act and the evidence in question should. But that has not been happening so we have protests.

I think this is qualified immunity in action, no? If we think things are bad now let's wait and see how exciting they get when Chauvin gets off.

Was listening to Brett Weinstein opine on the noble dark webz ( :lol:)that if Chauvin doesnt get a fair trial, Maoists will have uninvented the USA. Made me chuckle a bit. Oh Brett.
"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

Valmy

Quote from: Tamas on September 04, 2020, 10:17:23 AM
yeah make sense I am just worried a general anti-police sentiment will take hold in your country, which would be really detrimental, regardless of how many cruel racist shitheads there are in the force.

It is a real problem because the more unpopular the police get in some circles the more they tend to draw their membership entirely from other circles.

But this has been going on for a very long time, there is a reason they ended up wearing body cameras in the first place.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Maybe if there were a general anti-police sentiment, there would actually be political will to make changes.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

11B4V

Quote from: Valmy on September 04, 2020, 10:13:17 AM
Quote from: Tamas on September 04, 2020, 09:32:50 AM
Quote from: merithyn on September 04, 2020, 09:28:37 AM
It'll be interesting to see the body camera footage on this arrest.

God forbid they opted to shoot an armed killer who was resisting arrest

If that is what happened then the body camera footage would show that is clearly what happened and it would show they are justified. Any killing of an American citizen by the state deserves an investigation no matter how justified it might be claimed to be.

Edit: and hey look there is even a context specific to Portland...

Yup
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

grumbler

Quote from: chipwich on September 03, 2020, 07:18:08 PM
Protest-riots have no bearing on whether a cop gets convicted or not.

Protests do, however.  DAs think more seriously about charging criminal cops if they think that the public is watching them and waiting for them to do so.  DAs don't like charging cops (they work with cops all the time), but they even more don't like to fail to be re-elected.  Protests negatively affect their re-election chances.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: merithyn on September 04, 2020, 09:41:53 AM

So, to put a bit of perspective on this for you...

The Patriot Prayer group has a lot of people in and around the police force. They were also working directly with the former Portland Police Bureau Chief (who lost his job because of it). They are in tight with the PPB. When we heard what happened, a bunch of us immediately said, "That guy's dead." Not one of us believed that he would be taken alive given what happened.

I'm not saying that it wasn't justified. I'm just saying that I am interested in seeing the body cam footage. Maybe the guy decided to go out in a blaze of glory and the police will be found to be 100% in the right. I'm just saying that I'm not in the least bit surprised that the man is now dead.

How do the Portland Police mind-control the police in Olympia, Washington?

I agree that its no surprise that the guy went out in a blaze of glory, given the way he talked.  But I think that he'd have gone down the same way if he'd murdered someone in Oshkosh, Wisconsin.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on September 04, 2020, 10:28:32 AM
It is a real problem because the more unpopular the police get in some circles the more they tend to draw their membership entirely from other circles.

But this has been going on for a very long time, there is a reason they ended up wearing body cameras in the first place.

You'd think that honest cops would be the people most anxious to see all of this murder by police end.  No beat cop benefited when Freddy Grey was murdered by cops in Baltimore in 2015.  But they've all suffered from the loss of credibility and cooperation from the residents of the city. 

Bayraktar!

viper37

Quote from: garbon on September 04, 2020, 10:33:04 AM

Maybe if there were a general anti-police sentiment, there would actually be political will to make changes.
yeah, that's what happenned in the USSR under Staline.  There was a general anti-police and anti-kgb sentiment that lead to change.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on September 05, 2020, 06:12:02 PM
Quote from: garbon on September 04, 2020, 10:33:04 AM

yeah, that's what happenned in the USSR under Staline.  There was a general anti-police and anti-kgb sentiment that lead to change.

Was the change you are referring to the creation of the KGB, which did not exist in Stalin's USSR? :hmm:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

merithyn

Quote from: grumbler on September 04, 2020, 08:52:30 PM

The Patriot Prayer group has a lot of people in and around the police force. They were also working directly with the former Portland Police Bureau Chief (who lost his job because of it). They are in tight with the PPB. When we heard what happened, a bunch of us immediately said, "That guy's dead." Not one of us believed that he would be taken alive given what happened.

I'm not saying that it wasn't justified. I'm just saying that I am interested in seeing the body cam footage. Maybe the guy decided to go out in a blaze of glory and the police will be found to be 100% in the right. I'm just saying that I'm not in the least bit surprised that the man is now dead.

I agree that its no surprise that the guy went out in a blaze of glory, given the way he talked.  But I think that he'd have gone down the same way if he'd murdered someone in Oshkosh, Wisconsin.

I don't think anyone was "mind-controlled". However, the Patriot Prayer group isn't just in Portland. :)
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

grumbler

Quote from: merithyn on September 05, 2020, 06:21:20 PM

I don't think anyone was "mind-controlled". However, the Patriot Prayer group isn't just in Portland. :)

But the PPB, the actors in your scenario, do just exist in Portland, right?  :)

Bayraktar!

Zoupa

merithyn

Quote from: grumbler on September 05, 2020, 07:41:05 PM

I actually said,  "The Patriot Prayer group has a lot of people in and around the police force."  I'm sorry you assumed I meant just in Portland, or specifically just PPB. I didn't.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

11B4V

Quote from: merithyn on September 05, 2020, 11:04:42 PM
Quote from: grumbler on September 05, 2020, 07:41:05 PM

I actually said,  "The Patriot Prayer group has a lot of people in and around the police force."  I'm sorry you assumed I meant just in Portland, or specifically just PPB. I didn't.

That sounds like QAnon level stuff there.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".