The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: viper37 on September 02, 2020, 04:16:03 PM
Quote from: garbon on September 02, 2020, 02:52:12 AM
What leverage do they have when the protests stop?
they can resume the protests if their goal of meeting the politicians does not materialize despite the promises.

protesting won't change anything and change will take time.  Disbanding the police is not realistic in a large city like Portland, too much chaos involved.  Defunding the police, if by that they mean less money for surplus military equipment and more money on social services, that is a realistic goals.  If they mean "gut them until there's no money for police work", it is not.

Got it. So those uppity bastards should just accept their lot.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Zoupa

Protests in France almost always work, mostly because of the disruption they cause. You need to hit the pocketbook. Block the infrastructure (don't destroy it). Stop going to work. The government always caves in.

Maximus

Quote from: DGuller on September 02, 2020, 12:04:18 PM
I hope that Democratic city leaders in the US are not going to help snatch defeat from the jaws of victory in 2020.  Losing control and order is a deadly sin for any political leader, and is definitely a very effective way to activate the fear reflex that turns people fascist.
If losing order is a worse sin than extrajudicial murder then there's no point in worrying about people turning to fascism.

viper37

Quote from: garbon on September 02, 2020, 04:42:17 PM
:roll:

At some points, the Americans will have to decide if they want change or if they want protests.  If it's protests you want, keep doing things the way you are, it is working great so far.

I'd rather see my neighbours living in a safe environment, and electing someone else than Donald Trumpesque figures to lead them, but it's your choice, ultimately, I'm just a dirty, stupid&racist foreigner.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Zoupa on September 02, 2020, 07:53:17 PM
Protests in France almost always work, mostly because of the disruption they cause. You need to hit the pocketbook. Block the infrastructure (don't destroy it). Stop going to work. The government always caves in.
See, that's why a government can't allow protesters to meet them while they keep protesting.  It's a non-ending cycle that paralyzes government and societies.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on September 02, 2020, 04:42:17 PM
Quote from: viper37 on September 02, 2020, 04:16:03 PM
Quote from: garbon on September 02, 2020, 02:52:12 AM
What leverage do they have when the protests stop?
they can resume the protests if their goal of meeting the politicians does not materialize despite the promises.

protesting won't change anything and change will take time.  Disbanding the police is not realistic in a large city like Portland, too much chaos involved.  Defunding the police, if by that they mean less money for surplus military equipment and more money on social services, that is a realistic goals.  If they mean "gut them until there's no money for police work", it is not.

You have to understand, g. There's a right way and a wrong way to protest. And whatever the BLM people do is wrong. See: Koepernick.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

katmai

White people don't even know how to spell Kaepernick
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Zoupa

Quote from: viper37 on September 02, 2020, 08:45:39 PM
Quote from: Zoupa on September 02, 2020, 07:53:17 PM
See, that's why a government can't allow protesters to meet them while they keep protesting.  It's a non-ending cycle that paralyzes government and societies.

France is doing alright.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Maximus on September 02, 2020, 08:36:11 PM
Quote from: DGuller on September 02, 2020, 12:04:18 PM
I hope that Democratic city leaders in the US are not going to help snatch defeat from the jaws of victory in 2020.  Losing control and order is a deadly sin for any political leader, and is definitely a very effective way to activate the fear reflex that turns people fascist.
If losing order is a worse sin than extrajudicial murder then there's no point in worrying about people turning to fascism.

What if losing order results in multiple murders?

Anyway, this is a false dichotomy. Extrajudicial murder is not being condoned as a tool to keep order.

Eddie Teach

grumbler

Quote from: Eddie Teach on September 02, 2020, 09:33:08 PM
Anyway, this is a false dichotomy. Extrajudicial murder is not being condoned as a tool to keep order.

Extrajudicial murder is being regarded by the Republican Party as an acceptable byproduct of keeping minorities in their place.  I am quite ready to believe that Republicans, hell, even Mitch McConnell, would be happy with no extrajudicial murders as long as there were also no uppity minorities.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

merithyn

Quote from: grumbler on September 02, 2020, 09:47:35 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on September 02, 2020, 09:33:08 PM

Extrajudicial murder is being regarded by the Republican Party as an acceptable byproduct of keeping minorities in their place.  I am quite ready to believe that Republicans, hell, even Mitch McConnell, would be happy with no extrajudicial murders as long as there were also no uppity minorities.

I totally agree with this.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...