The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

There is a longer actual video of the incident you can find if you care to...

So the backstory here is that he was chasing the truck, who was driving very fast. The driver was drunk.

The truck lost control, and rolled. The passenger, who is the drivers ex-wife, was ejected from the vehicle. If you look at the video clip, or the longer one, her body is actually in the foreground of the scene, it is blurred out though - she is behind that blurry square to the right of the cop.

So the cop comes up on the accident, the women is moaning on the ground he walks up, the driver starts to climb out, the cop shoots him twice, and then goes to the truck and looks inside.

The woman is bleeding to death on the ground.

Moments later, more cops show up. The shooting is very hard to watch, but the cluster fuck in the minutes afterwards is almost worse...the other cops don't know that he shot someone, and he is kind of walking around, and I think he is *fucking looking for his spent shell casings!*.

The other cops are telling shot driver to get out, he is telling them he refuses to get out, while kind of looking around on the ground. I don't know if he actually thought that if he could find the shell casings, maybe nobody would notice the driver had been shot???

Meanwhile, the woman is moaning and bleeding to death. She would eventually die as well, and it didn't really look like any of the cops do much of anything to actually try to help her. Maybe that is SOP? Afraid they might harm her more than help if they try to move her, or stop her bleeding? Not sure.

The entire fucking thing is just a tragic comedy of the first order.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Berkut on December 05, 2016, 11:48:48 PM
Meanwhile, the woman is moaning and bleeding to death. She would eventually die as well, and it didn't really look like any of the cops do much of anything to actually try to help her. Maybe that is SOP? Afraid they might harm her more than help if they try to move her, or stop her bleeding? Not sure.

The entire fucking thing is just a tragic comedy of the first order.

A lot of agencies have SOP that prevent police from rendering first aid--we had to get certified per mandatory state requirements, but it was department SOP not to render first aid, so we would let our first aid certifications expire.

I was reading the backstory on that after you posted it, and found it interesting that the DA was originally NOT going to file charges for this "accident", despite the video.  And people wonder why people don't expect justice from the system in cases like this.  If that dash cam was never there, nothing ever would've happened to him.  And it turns out, it almost didn't.

DGuller

Nothing will change as long as the best case scenario is that the shooter gets put on trial.  Every single cop who has a hand in falsifying the police report, letting others do it, or takes part in "getting everyone's stories straight" should be charged as part of conspiracy against the public.  Because that's exactly what it is.

The cop that shot the guy in the back was not convicted, not yet anyway.  The other cop who watched him drop the taser next to the dead guy hasn't even been charged, or disciplined in any other way as far as I'm aware.  Take the guy with that cellphone away and the murdering cop would be lauded as a hero, thanks to the guy who quietly watched the murderer plant his taser.

garbon

Quote from: Berkut on December 05, 2016, 09:42:38 PM
https://gfycat.com/LightFeminineEasternglasslizard

At least this guy is going to jail for a little while anyway.

Convicted of involuntary manslaughter. Apparently he accidently pulled out his gun and shot the guy twice.

Then when the rest of the cops showed up moments later, he told them that the guy in the vehicle was refusing to get out. Didn't mention that the reason he was refusing to get out was that he had shot and killed him until after the EMTs showed up and noticed some bullet holes in him.

"Oh yeah, I might have shot him...."

Thanks for the snuff film...
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: DGuller on December 06, 2016, 02:29:47 AM
Nothing will change as long as the best case scenario is that the shooter gets put on trial.  Every single cop who has a hand in falsifying the police report, letting others do it, or takes part in "getting everyone's stories straight" should be charged as part of conspiracy against the public.  Because that's exactly what it is.

The cop that shot the guy in the back was not convicted, not yet anyway.  The other cop who watched him drop the taser next to the dead guy hasn't even been charged, or disciplined in any other way as far as I'm aware.  Take the guy with that cellphone away and the murdering cop would be lauded as a hero, thanks to the guy who quietly watched the murderer plant his taser.

Agreed
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Finally.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-government-finally-has-a-realistic-estimate-of-killings-by-police/

The Government Finally Has A Realistic Estimate Of Killings By Police

By Carl Bialik

About 1,200 people were killed by police officers in the U.S. in the 12 months that ended in May, according to a federal report released Thursday. That number is much larger than government counts of police killings for earlier years — and is much more in line with private estimates.

Criminal justice researchers have long argued that official counts of police killings, which rely on voluntary reports from local police departments, are woefully incomplete. Over the past decade, about half a dozen efforts by activists, volunteers and media organizations have sprung up in response to widespread outrage about high-profile killings by police officers to try to fill the breach using information from media reports and other sources. Their annual death toll estimates since 2013 have generally ranged from 1,100 to 1,400, more than twice as high as the counts from official government sources.

Thursday's report from the Bureau of Justice Statistics is effectively an acknowledgment that the amateurs were right. It used media reports to fill in the gaps in data provided by law-enforcement agencies and reached a figure similar to those from the private groups.1

The corroboration by BJS of other outfits' numbers "speaks to the power of some of what we've been collecting and what so many others have been collecting — that it's really been able to approximate those numbers," said Samuel Sinyangwe, who leads one of the volunteer efforts, Mapping Police Violence, and co-founded Campaign Zero, a group that promotes policy ideas that it says can reduce the number of people killed by police officers. Sinyangwe said the new estimate from BJS "sounds correct." Mapping Police Violence lists 1,198 people killed by police during the period covered by the BJS report; the Guardian, which has been counting police killings since last year, lists 1,127.

Sinyangwe and other activists worry, however, that the government's new efforts to collect better data on police killings won't continue under Donald Trump and his nominee for attorney general, Jeff Sessions. If the Senate confirms Sessions, "I am skeptical about whether they will move forward with this," Sinyangwe said. Spokespeople for Trump and Sessions didn't return emails seeking comment.

The inadequacy of official statistics on police violence has drawn national attention since Ferguson, Missouri, police officer Darren Wilson, who is white, killed Michael Brown, a black man, in August 2014. Brown's death and other high-profile police killings raised the profile of the Black Lives Matter movement and sparked a nationwide debate over police violence. But without reliable data, researchers couldn't answer even basic questions about who was killed by police or whether the number of such deaths was rising or falling. FBI Director James Comey — whose agency, like BJS, is part of the Justice Department — last year called the lack of good data "ridiculous."

Now the government is trying to improve its data. Last year, BJS researchers found that the agency's existing methods of counting arrest-related deaths — basically, asking police departments to report totals — were probably missing about half of all cases. (Some researchers think even more were being missed.) Thursday's report builds on that research by trying to find the deaths that were missing from official counts, using several methods.

First, researchers used automated searches to identify media articles and webpages that might contain information on arrest-related deaths — including shootings and other intentional killings (which BJS classifies as homicides), as well as suicides, accidents and deaths by natural cause. They then sorted those reports manually to find the ones to investigate further. Researchers also took advantage of the BJS's existing contacts with the 18,000 local law-enforcement agencies around the country to go further than the nongovernmental efforts can. They contacted local law-enforcement agencies and medical examiners or coroners involved with deaths over a three-month period to confirm that the deaths happened and determine whether they should be counted; agencies and the researchers sometimes disagreed. (For example, some agencies resisted counting suicides or accidents that killed someone being pursued by police officers.)

The researchers also asked local agencies whether there had been any deaths that weren't reflected in media accounts. That allowed them to estimate how many deaths their media-based counts were missing — information that BJS then applied to a full year of data to arrive at its annual death-toll estimate of 1,900, including 1,200 homicides. Deaths by suicide, accident and natural causes were more likely than homicides to get no media coverage.

"This hybrid approach was shown to, we think, really do a great job improving our coverage," said Michael Planty, who co-wrote the report, is a deputy director at BJS and has been working for five years on measurement of arrest-related deaths. (The BJS counts deaths after arrests separately. In other reports released Thursday that were based on analyses that didn't use new techniques, BJS reported that in 2014, 1,053 people died in local jails and 3,927 died in state and federal prisons — both figures higher than a year earlier.)

Using media accounts to supplement official reports has become a common research tactic in the grim accounting of terrorism, school shootings and police misconduct. Since 2009, the BJS has used what Planty called an "ad hoc" process of analyzing media accounts to improve its collection of police killings by identifying cases that agencies weren't proactively reporting.

Speed-reading death reports and turning them into data is difficult and psychologically taxing work. The BJS contracted with RTI International, a nonprofit research organization based in North Carolina, to conduct much of the research. Between June and August 2015, a dozen RTI researchers read through and logged roughly 150,000 media reports that potentially contained information about a death. To try to reduce strain, "we limited folks to no more than 30 percent of their time a week," said Duren Banks, a senior research criminologist at RTI and co-author of the new report. "It takes a little bit of a thick skin to read about this for hours on end."

It also isn't cheap. Even after researchers found ways to dramatically reduce the number of media articles that their algorithm flags, the work costs $40,000 a month, Planty said.

It's not clear how the Justice Department will collect police-killings data in the future. The department hasn't committed to adopting the methods described in the new report for its official statistics. (On Thursday afternoon, the department said it would release more information about its data-collection plans on Friday morning.) BJS has more work ahead of it, including reports planned for next year delving into the characteristics of people killed by police — other efforts have found that black Americans are killed at a rate much higher than their share of the population — and comparisons of its data with nongovernmental counts. The FBI is also mounting a parallel effort to get better data.

Activists worry that improving data on police killings, which has proceeded at a pace that many have found disappointing under President Obama, won't be a priority in a Trump administration. This past summer, Trump blamed Black Lives Matter, without any evidence, for instigating killings of police officers, an issue he emphasized much more strongly in his campaign than killings by police officers. Planty, when asked whether he sensed that the change of administrations would affect BJS's work in the area, said, "No."

Even if BJS does proceed with more complete data collection, it won't necessarily replace private estimates. Sinyangwe said he plans to continue his work regardless, because unlike BJS, which only aggregates deaths for statistical purposes, he and other independent counters provide details on individual deaths, allowing for more granular analysis.

D. Brian Burghart, who founded and runs another police killings database, Fatal Encounters, said the BJS effort was long overdue. He said he started his site because he "realized that the internet meant this information could no longer be hidden." If the government improves the way it collects data, Burghart said, he would be happy to step aside after nearly five years.

"I want to be obsolete," Burghart said. "This is the most boring, repetitive work that you can imagine. It's horrible. I research violent deaths eight to 14 hours a day. So, yeah, it sucks. I'd be totally happy for [BJS] to do that." He added, "I don't know what's taken them this long to get there, to be honest."
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

I skimmed an Atlantic article about this NC special session and this particular Slate! article doesn't seem to be too Huffed up.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 15, 2016, 06:50:46 PM
I skimmed an Atlantic article about this NC special session and this particular Slate! article doesn't seem to be too Huffed up.

Wrong thread.

1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Surpise, suprise, suprise!

QuotePolice said two vehicles were traveling from the Mondawmin Mall area, and an unmarked police car was stopped behind one of the cars.

Investigators said a passenger got out of one of the vehicles and shot at the other car. The police officer then got out of his vehicle and fatally shot the gunman, identified Friday as Lavar Montray Douglas, 18, police said. He was not a student at Coppin.

https://youtu.be/mDTXOUjLl7E

QuoteHe was not a student at Coppin.

Obviously not.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

jimmy olsen

Disgusting.  :mad:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2017/03/10/appeals_court_rules_homeless_man_cannot_sue_cop_who_let_police_dog_maul.html

QuoteHomeless Man Has No Right to Sue Cop Who Let Police Dog Maul Him

By Mark Joseph Stern

THE SLATEST
YOUR NEWS COMPANION
MARCH 10 2017 1:35 PM
Appeals Court: Homeless Man Has No Right to Sue Cop Who Let Police Dog Maul Him
By Mark Joseph Stern
591631932-karl-and-patrol-dog-iso-after-successfully-containing
A police dog (not the dog in question).
Fiona Goodall/Getty Images

On Thursday, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit issued one of the most gruesome and inhumane decisions in recent memory, holding that the Constitution does not necessarily require law enforcement officers to stop police dogs from brutally mauling innocent people. If it stands, the decision would ensure that a homeless man who was disfigured by a police dog will not be able to sue a police officer who knew the man was innocent and allowed the dog to continue attacking him. It is an astonishing ruling that defies all logic and illustrates the grave threat that qualified immunity poses to constitutional rights today.

The grisly facts of the case are uncontested. One night in 2010, Officer Terence Garrison and his police dog, Bikkel, were tracking a robbery suspect in High Point, North Carolina. Bikkel led Garrison to an abandoned house, then attacked a man crouched behind a bush near the front stoop. Garrison quickly realized that the man did not match the physical description of the suspect. (In fact, he was Christopher Maney, a homeless man accused of no crime.) But Garrison decided that the man might still be dangerous, so he demanded that Maney show his hands before calling off Bikkel. But Maney was using his hands to try to protect himself against the dog and pleaded with Garrison to stop Bikkel's attack, insisting that he had done nothing wrong. After allowing the mauling to continue for 10 seconds, Garrison finally told Bikkel to stop. He then put Maney in handcuffs and called medical support.

Maney arrived at the hospital in critical condition. Bikkel had bit the top of his head, tearing away a two-square-inch section of hair, skin, and tissue that ultimately required a nearly 16-inch skin graft. Deep bites on Maney's arm and thigh led to a brachial artery blood clot and profuse bleeding, bruising, and swelling.

After convalescing, Maney sued Garrison, alleging a violation of his Fourth Amendment right to be free from unreasonable seizures. Under the Fourth Amendment, a dog bite qualifies as a seizure of the person, and Maney argued that Garrison prolonged the biting for an unreasonable amount of time. But the 4th Circuit concluded that Garrison was shielded from the lawsuit by qualified immunity, meaning he did not violate a "clearly established" constitutional right. According to the majority, Fourth Amendment precedents do not unambiguously prohibit officers from "prolong[ing] a dog bite seizure until a subject complies with orders to surrender." The majority analogized the mauling to a "Terry stop," during which an officer may briefly stop and frisk individuals on the basis of "reasonable suspicion." Garrison, the majority concluded, had really just engaged in a type of Terry stop in which "the classic Terry tableau is replaced by something more dynamic."

As Judge Pamela Harris explained in dissent, this analysis is disturbing nonsense:

Maney was not himself suspected of any crime, armed or not, and he did not attempt to flee or to resist. Nevertheless, Officer Garrison deliberately subjected him to a canine attack in order to rule out any possibility that he might pose a threat. Whether or not a more customary Terry stop might have been authorized, I think it is clear enough that the circumstances did not justify the sustained mauling of Maney. Clear enough, that is, to warrant denial of qualified immunity to Garrison on Maney's excessive force claim.

Harris noted that the Terry analysis is especially ridiculous because "there was not reasonable suspicion sufficient to support a Terry stop" in the first place. Just before encountering Maney, Garrison had walked through a homeless camp just 150 yards away. "He was aware," Harris wrote, "that there was a perfectly innocent explanation for Maney's presence near the abandoned house. And I would not count against Maney his failure to stand and identify himself, which Maney—quite reasonably, in hindsight—attributes to his fear that a sudden movement might prompt a dog attack. Citizens are under no free-standing obligation to identify themselves to the police."

In other words, Garrison did not have sufficient justification to stop Maney in the first place. And he certainly didn't have a good reason to do what he did next—"intentionally prolong a violent assault on Maney to determine whether he might pose a threat." In reality, Harris wrote, Garrison had clearly utilized excessive force under longstanding Supreme Court precedent, inflicting objectively unreasonable and disproportionate violence that "no reasonable officer" would consider to be legal. Thus, Harris argued, Garrison should not be protected by qualified immunity.

Harris is obviously correct, but her colleagues in the majority cannot be entirely blamed for disregarding Maney's constitutional rights. The Supreme Court has expanded qualified immunity—a doctrine of dubious constitutional provenance—to such an extreme that police officers routinely get away with acts of shocking brutality. It has grown increasingly difficult for victims of such violence to hold officers accountable in court; a clever judge can almost always find a reason why some particular barbarity was not "clearly" forbidden by the Fourth Amendment when it occurred. Maney is only the latest victim of qualified immunity run amok. The list will continue growing apace.

1 Karma Chameleon point

11B4V

Nobody cares anymore. It's the era of Trump.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point

grumbler

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 17, 2017, 07:18:01 PM
Qualified immunity strikes again.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2017/03/17/appeals_court_rules_officer_who_killed_man_in_his_own_home_cannot_be_sued.html

I'm less concerned about the right to sue than I am about the fact that police officers can literally get away with murder.  Richard Sylvester should have already met Sparky and be immune to lawsuits because he is dead.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!