The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zoupa

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

viper37

Quote from: Berkut on December 02, 2021, 09:52:38 AM
b) And it is kind of a weird spot for the cop to be in - how do you stop someone in a motorized scooter thing who is holding a knife?

a) You can't really approach them without risking getting stabbed, and you don't want to let them get back into the store where who the fuck knows what the guys is going to do.

a) yes you can approach them. It's a mobile wheel chair, not a racing bike.  It has limited speed and mobility.  The driver needs one hand to operate the machine, leaving only one free for the knife, it can't grab someone and stab them, it needs to run over them, unbalance them, stab/cut them.  the risk of injuries to other is limited.

b) all the cop had to do to neutralize the individual was to get behind the motorized vehicle and shoot the battery.  No power, no movement.  End of threat.  then it could wait for reinforcements to secure the prisoner and remove his knife from his hands, forcefully, but without fatality.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Berkut

Quote from: viper37 on December 02, 2021, 05:37:18 PM
Quote from: Berkut on December 02, 2021, 09:52:38 AM
b) And it is kind of a weird spot for the cop to be in - how do you stop someone in a motorized scooter thing who is holding a knife?

a) You can't really approach them without risking getting stabbed, and you don't want to let them get back into the store where who the fuck knows what the guys is going to do.

a) yes you can approach them. It's a mobile wheel chair, not a racing bike.  It has limited speed and mobility.  The driver needs one hand to operate the machine, leaving only one free for the knife, it can't grab someone and stab them, it needs to run over them, unbalance them, stab/cut them.  the risk of injuries to other is limited.

Well the driver can, you know...stand up and stab someone. The cop has no reason to assume he was incapable of leaving the scooter.

b) all the cop had to do to neutralize the individual was to get behind the motorized vehicle and shoot the battery.  No power, no movement.  End of threat.  then it could wait for reinforcements to secure the prisoner and remove his knife from his hands, forcefully, but without fatality.

Not saying it could not be done, and should have been done in some fashion less stupid then blowing the guy away. And "shooting the battery" would be less stupid then shooting the occupant, but still likely rather stupid and almost certainly a violation of procedure and protocol. I imagine most batteries don't respond well to being shot.

Just pointing out that "cop shoots man in wheelchair who had a knife" isn't really an accurate description of the threat the guy posed.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Berkut

Quote from: Eddie Teach on December 02, 2021, 06:28:18 PM
Shouldn't he have a taser?

One would think....although there has been a lot of SHOCK and OUTRAGE over taser use, so some departments have stopped using them.

I am genuinely curious what he should have done, according to whatever training and protocol was in place.

I don't see why he could not simply continue to follow and wait for an opportunity to incapacitate the scooter. If the guy jumped out of it, he and the the officer had a rather clear drop on him.

Although you d hear about people with knives being able to do a rather shocking amount of damage rather quickly at times. And like I said, there was no reason for the officer to assume he was not able to get out of the scooter seat.

0 rows returned

DGuller

Trying to shoot out the battery on a moving scooter seems like a rather impractical solution.  I'm not sure it's a common knowledge where the batteries are located on scooters, and it's not something that you can easily figure out in a split second.  Cops also don't have anti-materiel rifles with them, so I'm not even sure it's all that easy to disable a battery with a pistol shot, especially if it's not located in an exposed area with a bullseye helpfully painted on it.  The only practical solution that comes to mind is knocking the scooter over on its side, if the cop were close enough to do it.

The Brain

Didn't the Israelis develop a method to deal with guys in wheelchairs? Could probably work for scooters as well.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

Quote from: The Brain on December 03, 2021, 01:20:37 AM
Didn't the Israelis develop a method to deal with guys in wheelchairs? Could probably work for scooters as well.
:pinch:

The Larch

Putting myself in "armchair cop" mode, I wonder if kicking the scooter down could have worked.  :hmm: I mean, even if they're faster than a wheelchair it's not as if they're that fast or manouvrable.

Syt

You could probably box them in with some barricades. I doubt those things have much power.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

PDH

Siegfried Line Dragon's Teeth, land mines, fuel-air explosive.  There were many alternatives to just gunning him down.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Razgovory

Honestly, I have no idea what to do.  Ask people to evacuate the building?  Throw your wallet at the guy?  Wait 15 more seconds for that cop arriving to get out of the car?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Berkut

It isnt fast - seems like you could just clear out the path in front of him of people, and look for something to toss in front of him.

Hell, I don't know. Blowing him away didn't really seem like the right answer in any case.

0 rows returned