The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

If the participants are enjoying it they should continue.

Oexmelin

Que le grand cric me croque !

Jacob

mongers

We need another angle (argument over definitions) :

Spaniards here, is your Civil Guard a para-military body, a civilian structure or a straight up armed military organization? 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Monoriu

In Hong Kong, the police is part of the civil service.  Within the police department, there are two main kinds of employees.  Police, which is considered a disciplinary service, and "civilians".  Basically generic, non-police, non-disciplinary civil servants who take care of some back office operations like finance, filing, general office administration etc.  The police do explicitly call these folks "civilians".  I guess this heavily implies that they do not consider themselves civilians.  This isn't new.  They simply follow the British tradition. 

Razgovory

Quote from: mongers on April 21, 2021, 07:15:40 PM

Spaniards here, is your Civil Guard a para-military body, a civilian structure or a straight up armed military organization?

I honestly don't know.  They are gendarmes, right?  I think that might actually be a military force.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Razgovory on April 22, 2021, 04:31:10 AM
Quote from: mongers on April 21, 2021, 07:15:40 PM

I honestly don't know.  They are gendarmes, right?  I think that might actually be a military force.

Guardia Civil is indeed a police force with military status.  :smarty:

So yes, gendarmes.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Is the margin of error 23 full percentage points or is it a smaller unit? That's one truly shitty poll if it's the former...

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on April 25, 2021, 12:54:22 PM
Is the margin of error 23 full percentage points or is it a smaller unit? That's one truly shitty poll if it's the former...

2.3 points:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Jacob

To me that indicates that pushing against obvious police excess is a winning issue for Democrats. Most of their voters and independents agree with it, while the GOP are split basically right down the middle.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on April 25, 2021, 01:34:35 PM
To me that indicates that pushing against obvious police excess is a winning issue for Democrats. Most of their voters and independents agree with it, while the GOP are split basically right down the middle.

Sure, if every killing by cop from now on is a Floyd v Chauvin.  Take that video of the shooting of the 13 year old for example.  That's not as clear cut IMO.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 25, 2021, 02:12:22 PM

Sure, if every killing by cop from now on is a Floyd v Chauvin.  Take that video of the shooting of the 13 year old for example.  That's not as clear cut IMO.

Definitely. Hence the "obvious".

It'll be interesting to see to what degree the GOP can leave Chauvin behind and press on the cases that split the Dem base and unite their own (whichever cases those may be).

Zoupa

There's absolutely no need for the Democrats to carefully evaluate each case and react accordingly. I think (and the polls seem to agree) that this is an issue they can hammer the GOP on.

It's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy past time Democrats get to fighting dirty.

Razgovory

Quote from: Zoupa on April 25, 2021, 03:30:38 PM

There's absolutely no need for the Democrats to carefully evaluate each case and react accordingly. I think (and the polls seem to agree) that this is an issue they can hammer the GOP on.

It's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy past time Democrats get to fighting dirty.

I'm kind of on board with this.  We have been parsing good shootings and bad shootings for years now, and it hasn't done much at all.  Maybe if we assume that all shooting are criminal we can get some movement on this.  I'm just fucking sick of this.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017