The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

That's the local news channel.  He was apparently a local sports star in high school and a well-known community character.  Th station's audience would not think of a welsh actor when hearing the name.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Sheilbh

The interview with the local Michigan Sheriff about the kidnap-the-governor plot is, as the tweet says, quite something:
https://twitter.com/rossjonesWXYZ/status/1314581815815004160?s=20

I feel like there is an issue here with law enforcement that needs looking at - no idea how you fix it.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 09, 2020, 11:55:05 AM
The interview with the local Michigan Sheriff about the kidnap-the-governor plot is, as the tweet says, quite something:

I feel like there is an issue here with law enforcement that needs looking at - no idea how you fix it.

So you can legally kidnap the governor? I hadn't looked at it from that perspective before.

I guess I would follow up with the question that if people are unhappy with a sheriff can they kidnap him?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DGuller

I think one absolute necessity is having federal standards on police training, education, and licensing.  The constitution works in the whole of US equally, so law enforcement should not be an entirely local issue.

Sheilbh

Quote from: DGuller on October 09, 2020, 12:06:17 PM
I think one absolute necessity is having federal standards on police training, education, and licensing.  The constitution works in the whole of US equally, so law enforcement should not be an entirely local issue.
But given that so many of them are elected (so no boss but the voters) isn't that quite tough?

To be honest this was something that came up when I listened to a very good podcast on the Jacob Wetterling case. So I hadn't thought about this sort of issue, but they were talking about the problem of local PDs just doing bad jobs, but it not coming out until there's a huge scandal. Until then the guy in charge get's re-elected for 25+ years.
Let's bomb Russia!

DGuller

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 09, 2020, 12:15:01 PM
Quote from: DGuller on October 09, 2020, 12:06:17 PM
But given that so many of them are elected (so no boss but the voters) isn't that quite tough?

To be honest this was something that came up when I listened to a very good podcast on the Jacob Wetterling case. So I hadn't thought about this sort of issue, but they were talking about the problem of local PDs just doing bad jobs, but it not coming out until there's a huge scandal. Until then the guy in charge get's re-elected for 25+ years.
I'm talking about things in general. Such bozos may be elected, but they're the tip of the iceberg.  The big part of the iceberg is the lack of professionalism among rank and file.  The less professionally trained the police force is, the more they're trained "on the street" by the older wiseguy cops, and the more they're going to act like blue mafia rather than a civil service. 

In the US, there is a huge disparity in training quality, and typically the higher up in the hierarchy of police forces you go, the more extensive the training is, and the more forcefully instilling of professional culture it is.  Once you reach the critical mass of law enforcement officers who view themselves as professional, you'll make it very difficult for the rest to be brazen assholes.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on October 09, 2020, 12:02:47 PM

So you can legally kidnap the governor? I hadn't looked at it from that perspective before.

I guess I would follow up with the question that if people are unhappy with a sheriff can they kidnap him?
Tbf, he didn't say they had a right to kidnap the governor.  He just says there's kidnap, and then there's kidnap ;)  He also questions the validity of the charges and insists they're innocent until proven guilty.  Somehow, I doubt he'd say the same if his officers arrested some protesters at a leftist rally.  But I might just presume things without any evidence whatsoever here...  :hmm:

In his mind, it would be totally legal for any group to enter a government office and place the Governor (or, I guess, any other elected government official) under arrest, presumably for not doing her job correctly.

I'm not knowledgeable enough in US&Michigan law to determine the validity of that statement, but if it is really a legal thing in some/all US States, than I find that mind boggling. 

The recall procedure is a nice, democratic thing, but armed thugs performing a "citizen arrest" to depose a duly elected official, popular or not, that's not something I would approve of in a democracy.  But again, I must stress that I am unfamiliar with the specific laws of your country or Michigan State that would allow that.  I kinda suspect he is really, really, stretching the law here, but I'll let one of the lawyers determine the truth of the statement here.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

DGuller

I hope there is no concept of citizen's trial or citizen's execution there. :unsure:

The Brain

Isn't Michigan that fucked up place where the lawmakers made it legal to walk around the capitol with guns, and then became afraid when people started walking around the capitol with guns?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

viper37

Was reading Fox News website yesterday, and read something about Breonna Taylor. 

I really, really, really liked how Fox News insunuates she had something to hide by presenting a picture of her with an AR-15, and her boyfriend with another gun.  White people with guns = Freeeeeddddooooom!   Black people with guns = Thugs! Criminals!
Link

they always have this insiduous way of presenting facts to make you think what they want.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Minsky Moment

The Sheriff seems forget that under Michigan law a sheriff who says dumb shit on TV can be seized and forced to dance in a public production of Swan Lake in the role of Odette.  Its MCL 36 . . .something or other.  You know the law between the one that says any drunk yahoo can arrest the governor and the one appointing grumbler to the censorate.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

merithyn

Quote from: viper37 on October 09, 2020, 02:02:27 PM
Was reading Fox News website yesterday, and read something about Breonna Taylor. 

I really, really, really liked how Fox News insunuates she had something to hide by presenting a picture of her with an AR-15, and her boyfriend with another gun.  White people with guns = Freeeeeddddooooom!   Black people with guns = Thugs! Criminals!
Link

they always have this insiduous way of presenting facts to make you think what they want.

'MURICA!  :punk:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Tamas

He looks related to them.

11B4V

Quote from: Tamas on October 09, 2020, 05:10:00 PM

He looks related to them.

A big issue. He's probably a like mind.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

grumbler

Quote from: The Brain on October 09, 2020, 12:53:30 PM
Isn't Michigan that fucked up place where the lawmakers made it legal to walk around the capitol with guns, and then became afraid when people started walking around the capitol with guns?

The legislature didn't "[make] it legal to walk around the capitol with guns," but rather didn't make it illegal, but, yeah, that's the place.  What's worse is that Michiganders can't blame this one all on Ohio State bagmen (though the plot did originate in Ohio).

Something weird has happened in the western art of the state, which used to be all hippies and vacationers from Chicago.  Now it seems full of KKK members and right-wing militias.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!