The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Barrister on September 09, 2020, 02:13:16 PM
Surprisingly nuanced article for Vice.  They do point out that it's all just a matter of discretion, which police have all the time anyways.  And the last thing you'd ever want is for police to not have any discretion in laying charges.
The problem with police discretion is that so many cops are unaware that there is such a thing as abuse of discretion.  Discretion is meant to deal with unique circumstances of individual cases that can't practically be covered by policy without introducing undesirable outcomes.  Discretion is not meant to allow every cop to set their own policy, such as what classes of people will be subject to enforcement and what classes of people won't be.  Maybe the last thing you want is for police to not have any discretion, but the next to last thing you want is police that interprets discretion as arbitrariness.  Actually, I'm not sure which one is the last one and which one is the next to last one.  :hmm:

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Valmy

Quote from: katmai on September 10, 2020, 11:57:22 AM
Quote from: Berkut on September 05, 2020, 11:23:08 PM
The article said it was US Marshals effecting the arrest, not local PD.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/09/10/reinoehl-portland-antifa-killing-police/ What are languish's thoughts on this?

This is not an uncommon fate for cop killers. Unconstitutional, of course, they are as entitled of a fair trail as any other murderer.

I cannot read the article unfortunately.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

Quote from: Valmy on September 10, 2020, 11:59:08 AM
This is not an uncommon fate for cop killers.
I know I'm being very pedantic by pointing it out, but technically the guy shot a far-right militia person, not a cop.

merithyn

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/09/10/reinoehl-portland-antifa-killing-police/ What are languish's thoughts on this?

This is not an uncommon fate for cop killers. Unconstitutional, of course, they are as entitled of a fair trail as any other murderer.

I cannot read the article unfortunately.

He wasn't a cop killer. Let's be clear.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

QuoteThere are few official details about what happened next. At least four members of the task force, which included officers from a variety of local agencies, fired dozens of times at Reinoehl; the U.S. Marshals Service later said he had a handgun, but it wasn't clear whether he had ever fired it at police.

The first article wasn't exactly correct. US Marshals and "a variety of local agencies".

Barrister

So I understand the reluctance of people to believe what police might say, but two independent witnesses confirmed that the suspect fired first.

Obviously there should be a full investigation (including who was standing where, and what opportunity they had to see anything), but my initial reaction is to have doubts about the allegation that cops straight-up murdered this guy.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: DGuller on September 10, 2020, 12:10:07 PM
I know I'm being very pedantic by pointing it out, but technically the guy shot a far-right militia person, not a cop.

I can't read the article, paywalled, so everything I said might be completely wrong.

Not that that ever stopped me from posting about something :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

derspiess

Quote from: grumbler on September 09, 2020, 02:05:47 PM
Quote from: derspiess on September 09, 2020, 01:55:04 PM
Only thing I ever got was a poker chip from a buddy of mine who is a US Marshal.

Was it:  platinum?

Now that you mention it-- yes, yes it was.  I also got shot in the head and had it stolen :hmm:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on September 10, 2020, 01:46:23 PM
Now that you mention it-- yes, yes it was.  I also got shot in the head and had it stolen :hmm:

Mr. House is not going to be happy.

merithyn

Quote from: Barrister on September 10, 2020, 12:33:32 PM

So I understand the reluctance of people to believe what police might say, but two independent witnesses confirmed that the suspect fired first.

Obviously there should be a full investigation (including who was standing where, and what opportunity they had to see anything), but my initial reaction is to have doubts about the allegation that cops straight-up murdered this guy.

As I said, I'm waiting on the bodycam footage.

katmai

Quote from: Valmy on September 10, 2020, 01:27:33 PM
Quote from: DGuller on September 10, 2020, 12:10:07 PM

I can't read the article, paywalled, so everything I said might be completely wrong.

Not that that ever stopped me from posting about something :P
fucking cheapskate. Support your hometown paper you ass.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

So far, it's one witness saying the cops never announced themselves, and two non-police witnesses saying that the police did.  I'd need more of a balance to the reports to start doubting the witnesses who've been consistent in their stories.

I'm not saying the witness who is dissenting is wrong, mind, just that the preponderance of evidence is against him.  It's also hard to credibly testify that something didn't happen, as opposed to testifying that you didn't see something happen.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!