The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Eddie Teach on September 07, 2020, 11:18:04 AM
The military is targeting physically fit people below 35. I'm not sure who the far right targets.

That's the US military, and most others.  The British military seems to know who the far right targets, and targets the same people for some reason. 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

viper37

The far right groups likes to send their recruits to the military so they can get training.

That explains the close proximity between the two.  It's not a matter of the military tolerating this (I know the Canadian army does not, pretty sure the US army/navy/air force does not either, not sure about every other armies in the world), it's a matter of discovering it.  The guys (and maybe girls, though I have my doubts concerning far rightwingers) who are sent to the military aren't those in the front lines, or those who have already gotten convictions for violent crimes, so unless they brag about it, it's difficult to know their links.

I have no idea how modern recruitment works, but I'm guessing they do a general search for a criminal past, investigations by other law agencies, maybe?  And they look at their social media profile, most definately.  So someone clearing their FB & Instagram accounts first before joining the military would not be discovered until much later after boot camp.

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josquius

Quote from: grumbler on September 07, 2020, 12:17:34 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on September 07, 2020, 11:18:04 AM
The military is targeting physically fit people below 35. I'm not sure who the far right targets.

That's the US military, and most others.  The British military seems to know who the far right targets, and targets the same people for some reason. 

Correlation does not equal causation.

Both target young men from deprived areas without many other prospects in their life.
The connection between the two such as it is, lies more in the other direction with the far right being very big on the military, which helps them to some extent in their recruitment in these deprived areas from which the military recruits heavily.
██████
██████
██████

grumbler

I don't know how accurate Tyr's description of British military recruiting is (it sounds to me like he is just making it up as he goes, but don't really care since i don't know how the British military recruits and don't think his point has any relevance beyond the UK in any case), but it is pretty clear in the US that right-wing (and left-wing) militia target much older, more prosperous people than the military does.  Militia types have to provide their own guns, ammo, uniforms, transportation, and food. 

While many militia types claim to have experience in the armed forces, it is pretty clear that a great many (in fact, an overwhelming percentage of those who've actually been identified, as far as i can tell) do not actually have military experience.  That makes sense; those who think that only they can take action to prevent a government, communist, or fascist takeover are generally the kinds of people who are crap at taking orders and deferring gratification.  They are not the types to succeed in a military organization that prioritizes obedience to orders and esprit de corps.

None of the Bundys ever served, nor did anyone in their gangs (from what I can tell).  Michael Reinoehl claimed to have served, but didn't.  His victim, Aaron Danielson, didn't serve.

There's certainly some overlap between military, police, and militia participation, but not any that is apparent in recruiting - except either in the UK, or in Tyr's fevered imagination.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on September 07, 2020, 04:48:23 PM
but it is pretty clear in the US that right-wing (and left-wing) militia target much older, more prosperous people than the military does.  Militia types have to provide their own guns, ammo, uniforms, transportation, and food. 
and that's why you see all those 50 something, arriving at a protest in their Mercedes, taking their guns, ammo and water from the the trunk.   :sleep:

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on September 07, 2020, 05:16:21 PM

and that's why you see all those 50 something, arriving at a protest in their Mercedes, taking their guns, ammo and water from the the trunk.   :sleep:

I don't see those, but, if you see them, that's okay with me.  They might even be real.  ;)

Bayraktar!

chipwich

Quote from: grumbler on September 07, 2020, 06:48:40 PM

I don't see those, but, if you see them, that's okay with me.  They might even be real.  ;)

I had no idea there were so many militiamen in Quebec.

viper37

so, where are all those rich middle age guys recruited by the far right then? :)

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on September 07, 2020, 07:58:37 PM

so, where are all those rich middle age guys recruited by the far right then? :)

Dunno.  Why do you think there are large numbers of "rich middle age guys recruited by the far right?"  Insofar as I know, you are the only person in the world who thinks that only rich people belong to the far right.

Bayraktar!

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on September 07, 2020, 08:31:27 PM
but it is pretty clear in the US that right-wing (and left-wing) militia target much older, more prosperous people than the military does.  Militia types have to provide their own guns, ammo, uniforms, transportation, and food. 

as you were answering to Tyr:
Both target young men from deprived areas without many other prospects in their life.

Once again, you find yourself backed into a corner and you are trying the age old "I did not say that".

So, if the right and left wing militia don't go after 35 and younger in good physical shape from poorer areas, where are all the violent protesters coming from? :)  You just said they represente the majority, but you also said they ain't the people we see.  So, where are they all hidden? :)

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on September 08, 2020, 05:03:07 PM
Quote from: grumbler on September 07, 2020, 08:31:27 PM

as you were answering to Tyr:

Once again, you find yourself backed into a corner and you are trying the age old "I did not say that".

So, if the right and left wing militia don't go after 35 and younger in good physical shape from poorer areas, where are all the violent protesters coming from? :)  You just said they represente the majority, but you also said they ain't the people we see.  So, where are they all hidden? :)

I am not backed into any corner at all.  You are claiming that militia members are "all those 50 something, arriving at a protest in their Mercedes" types, and I am saying you are full of shit. 

Michael Reinoehl was 48 years old.  Not a candidate for US military or naval recruitment.  Aaron J. Danielson was 39, also not a candidate.  The man with Danielson was Chandler Pappas, 36.  Not eligible to be recruited.  None owned a Mercedes.

It's funny how all of the people who can be identified by name and age fit neither of your two fictions about them being recruited by the military or 50 year-old Mercedes drivers.  Were you deliberately trying to make your evidence unbelievable by carefully bracketing the truth while missing it?

Bayraktar!

DGuller

I was going to make a sarcastic remark about something someone said, but then I realized that everyone is speaking sarcasm here, probably.  I'm not actually sure who is saying what, so I can't even mock anything with absolute confidence.  :(

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on September 08, 2020, 05:55:15 PM
I am not backed into any corner at all.  You are claiming that militia members are "all those 50 something, arriving at a protest in their Mercedes" types, and I am saying you are full of shit. 
I'm not saying anything.  I was mocking your inexact statement.  But you knew that.

Michael Reinoehl was 48 years old.  Not a candidate for US military or naval recruitment.  Aaron J. Danielson was 39, also not a candidate.  The man with Danielson was Chandler Pappas, 36.  Not eligible to be recruited.  None owned a Mercedes.
Congrats, that's 3.  Now, are they also wealthy?  And were they recruited at that age?  Because I'm pretty sure the US armry, all branches, has active duty  soldiers of 48, 49 and 36 years old :)

It's funny how all of the people who can be identified by name and age fit neither of your two fictions about them being recruited by the military or 50 year-old Mercedes drivers.  Were you deliberately trying to make your evidence unbelievable by carefully bracketing the truth while missing it?
Because 3 is such a large sample.  You're telling me the US army has no one above 35 in its active ranks? :)

Sophie Scholl

It sounds like militias aim for the same target demographic as reenactors. One distinction to make with far right armed recruitment is that it isn't just militias anymore. Groups like the Proud Boys and Patriot Prayer are the new power players and their financial and lifestyle commitments are a lot lower than militias. As such, they trend a lot younger and with much broader and lower bases in terms of financial standing.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Razgovory

I know that a few of the Alt-Right in my area have military experience. :ph34r:
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017