The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Berkut

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 12, 2018, 06:50:28 PM
Black security guard prevents a mass shooting, is immediately gunned down by the police when they show up.

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/11/black-security-guard-stops-shooter-bar-gets-gunned-cop-mistook-criminal/

QuoteThe Midlothian Police Department has so far released very little information about the shooting and is only confirming that one of its officers was involved. According to WGN, the State Police Public Integrity Task Force is running an investigation of the officer's decision to open fire on Roberson.

Pastor Patricia Hill of Chicago's Purposed Church tells WGN TV that she's horrified to see another young black man fatally shot by police despite the fact that he had risked his own life to prevent a potential mass shooting.

"Once again it's the continued narrative that we see of shoot first, ask questions later," she said.

I wonder how many quotes they had to ignore before finding one of someone with some sort of vague status to jump to the obvious conclusion needed to make the story really pop?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

mongers

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46314065

Sandra Parks: Anti-gun student, 13, killed by stray bullet
23 November 2018 

"We are in a state of chaos. In the city in which I live, I hear and see examples of chaos almost every day. Little children are victims of senseless gun violence..."

Two years ago, 11-year-old Milwaukee schoolgirl Sandra Parks wrote these words in an award-winning essay about the murders in her city.

On Monday night, aged 13, she was shot by a stray bullet fired into her home.

Her frantic family called 911, but Sandra died at the scene.

The girl's mother, Bernice Parks, told police she had gone to bed early while her children watched TV. She woke to the sound of gunshots shortly before 20:00, and found her daughter bleeding on the floor.

"She said, 'Momma, I'm shot. Call the police,'" Ms Parks told TV station WITI. "I looked at her. She didn't cry. She wasn't hollering. She was just so peaceful... She didn't deserve to leave this world like that."
Pro-gun tweet provokes doctors' fury
America's gun culture in 10 charts

Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett described the situation as "insanity", telling reporters: "Tragically, her death was caused by someone who just decided they were going to shoot bullets into her house, and she's dead. A 13-year-old, on Thanksgiving week, on a school night, in her bedroom, and she died."

Mr Barrett speculated that the shooter may have wanted to "settle a score, express anger, try to scare someone", saying on Tuesday: "All we know is that a 13-year-old died last night in her bedroom."

Midwestern paper the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports that one suspect, Isaac D. Barnes, has been charged with homicide and a second man, Untrell Oden, faces two counts for allegedly helping to safeguard two guns.

Mr Barnes' ex-girlfriend reportedly flagged his possible involvement to a police officer at the scene. She said he had approached her parked car on a nearby street carrying an assault-style rifle and wearing a mask.

She said he swore at her and told her "you lucky the kids are in the car. I was gonna fan you down."

Police found Mr Barnes in a nearby home, hiding in a closet.

Milwaukee's murder rate has been falling since a spike between 2014 and 2015, but the city still ranks among America's most deadly, FBI figures show.

No comment necessary on my part.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

jimmy olsen

The undercover cop part is the only reason there's hope for conviction here.

https://www.riverfronttimes.com/newsblog/2018/11/29/4-st-louis-cops-charged-over-beating-undercover-office-during-stockley-protest?platform=hootsuite

Four St. Louis city officers are facing multiple felony charges for beating a suspect who was not threatening them — who was actually an undercover cop —  then conspiring together to mislead investigators and influence the testimony of potential witnesses.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

https://www.ksat.com/news/female-inmate-who-died-in-bcso-custody-had-been-held-since-july-on-a-300-bond

QuoteInmate who died in BCSO custody had been held since July on $300 bond

SAN ANTONIO - Court records confirm that an inmate who died while in the custody of the Bexar County Sheriff's Office on Friday had been held in jail on a $300 bond since July.

An official with the Bexar County Medical Examiner's Office identified the woman Saturday as 61-year-old Janice Dotson-Stephens.

Dotson-Stephens was arrested July 17 on a criminal charge of trespassing on private property.

County clerk records show the misdemeanor charge was her first arrest in Bexar County.

BCSO officials said Friday that Dotson-Stephens appeared to have died of natural causes and had been held at the infirmary at the annex detention center.

Officials have not said why Dotson-Stephens stayed in the jail so long, since a $30 payment would have likely been all it took to release her on bond.

Court records show she refused to be interviewed the day after the arrest, as well as on four straight days in late July.

Dotson-Stephens again refused to be interviewed August 4. A court-appointed attorney was assigned to her August 8, according to court records.

She was ordered to go through a psychological evaluation on August 27, 10 days after she refused to make a court appearance.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

Reading through that I was going to guess mental illness was in play.

Those kinds of cases are incredibly difficult.  I had a guy once in our specialized mental health court.  We wanted to let him out - I think he just needed to promise to stay away from the victim's residence.  But no, he wasn't signing anything, it was all F-this and F-that.  If we just open the door and let him out he'll never come back to court, and he'll go right back to committing the same offence.

No idea what happened in this case, but up here you ask for a fitness evaluation and you could easily be looking at 2 months, on an offence not worth anywhere near that amount.  So what do you do?  We try to find someone who can look after the person and help them come to court, but if you're dealing with a homeless person they may not have those supports.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

dps

How does someone who is already in jail just refuse to appear in court? 

Eddie Teach

Maybe they didn't feel it was worth the effort to compel her.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

A mass shooting has happened in  Aurora, a suburb about 40 miles (65km) from Chicago.

No details, other than several casualties.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

mongers

Quote from: 11B4V on February 15, 2019, 07:06:52 PM
Did the police do it?

I doubt it; couldn't find the mass shooting thread, non-school one that is, so thought this would be the best place.

Alternatively someone could start a non-education routine mass shooting in the US thread? :unsure: 

Update here:
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-47261314

5 murdered, 5 police officers shot, others injured, the named 45 year old gunman also dead.

11B4V

Quote from: mongers on February 15, 2019, 07:12:35 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on February 15, 2019, 07:06:52 PM
Did the police do it?

I doubt it; couldn't find the mass shooting thread, non-school one that is, so thought this would be the best place.

Alternatively someone could start a non-education routine mass shooting in the US thread? :unsure: 

Update here:
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-47261314

5 murdered, 5 police officers shot, others injured, the named 45 year old gunman also dead.

Page 1, near the top just for you.