The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

The cop who shot Philando Castile was found not guilty.  I'm shocked, shocked.  I wonder why cops ever take plea deals in these cases, it seems like even in the most inexcusable cases the worst they can get is hung jury.

CountDeMoney

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on June 16, 2017, 04:34:58 PM
The cop who shot Philando Castile was found not guilty.  I'm shocked, shocked.  I wonder why cops ever take plea deals in these cases, it seems like even in the most inexcusable cases the worst they can get is hung jury.

Haven't there been some convictions mentioned in this thread?

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Habbaku on June 20, 2017, 11:30:44 PM
:hmm: Philando Castile was definitely armed.

Being legally armed with a concealed weapon is not a crime.

QuoteMinnesota police officer who responded after another officer fatally shot a black motorist says he saw a gun sliding out of the man's front right pocket.
Roseville police Officer Juan Toran testified Tuesday that he was performing CPR on Philando Castile and he saw the gun as paramedics rolled Castile onto a backboard. Toran says he shouted "Gun!" and removed it.
St. Paul paramedic Eric Torgerson testified that he saw an officer reach deep into Castile's pocket to pull out the gun. He didn't see it sliding out of the pocket.
On the audiotape, Yanez can be heard telling a fellow officer, "I don't know where the gun was."
The police officer backing up his partner in a Minnesota traffic stop that led to the death of a motorist last year says there wasn't enough concern ahead of the stop to treat it as a felony stop.
Officer Joseph Kauser says his partner, Jeronimo Yanez, told him he thought driver Philando Castile resembled a suspect in a recent armed robbery. But Kauser said there wasn't enough concern to handle the stop as high-risk, in which occupants are ordered out of the car with their hands up before officers approach.
Instead, it was treated as "stop and ID."

But you're from Georgia, so it obviously doesn't count when it's a negro.  At least the cop is fired, is which a better ending than usual.

Berkut

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 20, 2017, 11:56:06 PM

No, but it is also not what the word "unarmed" means.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Berkut on June 20, 2017, 11:59:25 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 20, 2017, 11:56:06 PM

No, but it is also not what the word "unarmed" means.

It's just the title of the show, it's not subject to strict autistic asschimp scrutiny.  Sometimes cat videos make it in, too.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

derspiess

The Philando Castile thing was fucked up.  I don't see how the cop got acquitted.  Castile was operating under contradictory police commands-- how was he supposed to not move and at the same time get his license?

I also have the feeling the University of Cincinnati cop is going to walk.  If he ends up with a hung jury again here in his second trial, I don't see them trying him a third time.  Prosecution screwed up; should have charged him with manslaughter instead of murder.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Oexmelin

White cop shoots black cop, "not knowing he was an officer, fired his weapon once at the man".

Militants of "Blue Lives Matter" spontaneously combust.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/off-duty-st-louis-officer-injured-by-friendly-fire-after/article_761b9cc4-75d1-5023-a38f-c4096f99d114.html
Que le grand cric me croque !

garbon

Even when you join them, that don't make you safe.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Quote from: garbon on June 22, 2017, 05:00:00 PM
Well, you kind of have to let others know you're one of the good ones.

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on June 22, 2017, 06:57:27 PM
Quote from: garbon on June 22, 2017, 05:00:00 PM
Well, you kind of have to let others know you're one of the good ones.

Even Uncle Tom didn't get a happy ending.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on June 21, 2017, 08:22:39 AM
I also have the feeling the University of Cincinnati cop is going to walk.  If he ends up with a hung jury again here in his second trial, I don't see them trying him a third time.  Prosecution screwed up; should have charged him with manslaughter instead of murder.

They knew what they were doing.