The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Quote from: Phillip V on April 06, 2017, 10:40:26 AM
Ferguson Re-Elects White Mayor 2 Years After Mike Brown Incident

67 percent of the city's 21,000 residents are black.  Can't complain if you don't vote.   :thumbsdown:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/05/us/ferguson-mayor-race.html

That entire article keeps coming back to the racial identity of the politician.

I think this is a critical mistake the BLM movement is making. An understandable mistake, sure, but still a mistake.

They should be focusing instead on the policies and platforms of the candidates, and is that means they back a white candidate that represents their views, then fine. That isn't necessarily likely, and it is likely that the set of candidates that best represet their views will likely be mostly black, which is fine as well.

But the language and rhetoric is important, and this article, IMO, is a case study in what they are doing wrong. It isn't "Why can't we get someone who will help bring change that is needed elected" it is "Why can't we get a black person elected".
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

I am just amazed that a mayor of any race could get re-elected after all that shit. Maybe he makes the trash be picked up on time.

QuoteThe city has replaced its white police chief and city manager with black men. It reached an agreement with the Justice Department to overhaul its justice system. And three black people, including Ms. Jones, have won seats on the Council. There was only one before Mr. Brown's killing.

It seems like overall they are winning they just blew this one for whatever reason.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

I sure hope this woman does not, actually, speak for a lot of them.

QuoteThe election results, for some, underscored the need to "take a step back and reassess and redefine what actual political power is," said Ashley Yates, a St. Louis-born activist who is now working on causes nationwide for Black Lives Matter. "For a lot of us, it's not about building something that will gain us greater access to the political establishment that already exists. It's not about just putting more black faces in systems that are built to oppress us already."

I have no idea what this highly theoretical pie in the sky gibberish means. 'Step back and reassess and redefine what actual political power is'. :huh:

So...rip up the Constitution? Replace it with...what exactly? Create a new philosophy of politics and government? Well that might make a great dissertation but how is this random string of thoughts relevant to any real people in this country?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Admiral Yi

"Under white control." :mellow:

The writer doesn't seem to have considered the possibility of blacks voting for the white mayor.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 06, 2017, 11:33:11 AM

The writer doesn't seem to have considered the possibility of blacks voting for the white mayor.

Well one is quoted at the bottom. And a black woman is celebrating with him in the picture. So clearly some did.

There is no exit poll data so I have no idea if, as suggested, the whites all voted in a united bloc as revenge for the protests or if the black voters stayed home or voted for the incumbent in significant numbers. Hard to draw conclusions with no data.

Edit: though the article does mention that voter turnout was low. Damn. What has to happen for people to be engaged in local politics?

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 06, 2017, 11:33:11 AM

I did find the language used on the article troubling.

But given that the mayor ran as a republican, and the very low % of blacks who vote republican, it doesn't seem likely that a surge of black supporters is what kept the mayor in office.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

jimmy olsen

About damn time. This happened almost a year ago.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/florida-cop-charged-manslaughter-shooting-autistic-man-s-unarmed-therapist-n745716

QuoteFlorida Cop Charged With Manslaughter in Shooting of Autistic Man's Unarmed Therapist

by Daniella Silva

A Florida police officer was charged with attempted manslaughter on Wednesday for shooting the unarmed caretaker of an autistic man last summer.

In addition to attempted manslaughter in the third degree, North Miami Police Officer Jonathan Aledda was also charged with culpable negligence, a first-degree misdemeanor, for the shooting of behavioral therapist Charles Kinsey in July.

The charges come nine months after the incident where police shot Kinsey in the leg, even after he laid down on the pavement with his hands in the air and pleaded with them that he was simply trying to help the autistic man.

Police had said they were responding to a report of a possibly suicidal man walking around with a gun.

According to a statement from Miami-Dade State Attorney Katherine Fernandez Rundle announcing the charges , a resident of the Miami Achievement Center for the Developmentally Disabled who required 24-hour supervision, left the facility with a silver tanker truck toy.

Kinsey, the resident's behavioral therapist, followed the man in an attempt to get him to return to the facility, according to the statement.

The statement said Officer Aledda, who was about 150 feet away from the two men, fired three shots in their direction.

"Officer Aledda was not in a position to correctly assess the situation or in a position to accurately fire. It was one of Officer Aledda's shots which struck Charles Kinsey," the statement said, adding that there were two other officers who were within 20 feet of the situation.

The shooting, while not fatal, was scrutinized as another example of excessive use of police force against unarmed black men.

But North Miami's police union, which is representing Aledda, quickly criticized the charges in an interview with the Miami Herald.

"In this case, we're going to be able to show how politically motivated, vindictive and incompetent that the state attorney is," Miami-Dade Police Benevolent Association President John Rivera told the Miami Herald. "The law is a very simple thing — intent. They're never going to be able to prove that this guy acted maliciously or recklessly in any way."

Rivera also claimed that Aledda was actually trying to fire at the autistic man, who he believed was armed a danger to Kinsey.

The encounter unfolded on July 18, 2016, when North Miami officers were summoned to the scene by a 911 caller who reported what appeared to be a disturbed man armed with a handgun. It was actually a silver toy truck. The man was 26-year-old Arnaldo Rios, a severely autistic man who had wandered away from a group home and sat down in the middle of the street. Kinsey was trying to coax him back to the facility when police arrived.

Part of the July incident was caught on a bystander's cellphone camera, which showed Kinsey trying to explain to police that weapons were not necessary.

"I'm telling them again, 'Sir, there is no need for firearms. I'm unarmed, he's an autistic guy. He got a toy truck in his hand,'" Kinsey said to a local FOX affiliate at the time, restating what could be heard on the video.

The shooting itself was not caught on video.

"It was like a mosquito bite, and when it hit me, I'm like, I still got my hands in the air, and I said, 'No I just got shot!' And I'm saying, 'Sir, why did you shoot me?'" Kinsey recalled, "and his words to me, he said, 'I don't know.'"

Police confirmed at a press conference following the incident that no gun was recovered at the scene.

The state attorney's statement said Wednesday's charges were the result of an inquiry that included prosecutorial review of the police investigation, numerous meetings with police to review evidence, and additional statements from witnesses.

The manslaughter charge carries a penalty of up to five years in prison.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote"In this case, we're going to be able to show how politically motivated, vindictive and incompetent that the state attorney is," Miami-Dade Police Benevolent Association President John Rivera told the Miami Herald. "The law is a very simple thing — intent. They're never going to be able to prove that this guy acted maliciously or recklessly in any way."

To protect and serve...sure...but who?

Also is it really perfectly legal to shoot people in Florida so long as you think happy thoughts?

Tonitrus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 12, 2017, 11:44:32 PM
About damn time. This happened almost a year ago.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/florida-cop-charged-manslaughter-shooting-autistic-man-s-unarmed-therapist-n745716

QuoteFlorida Cop Charged With Manslaughter in Shooting of Autistic Man's Unarmed Therapist

by Daniella Silva

A Florida police officer was charged with attempted manslaughter on Wednesday for shooting the unarmed caretaker of an autistic man last summer.

There's a pretty big difference between those two...

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on April 12, 2017, 11:46:10 PM
"In this case, we're going to be able to show how politically motivated, vindictive and incompetent that the state attorney is," Miami-Dade Police Benevolent Association President John Rivera told the Miami Herald. "The law is a very simple thing — intent. They're never going to be able to prove that this guy acted maliciously or recklessly in any way."

Oh, I think they'll be able to prove maliciousness or recklessness when they shot him--

Oh wait, he was a nigger.  NOT GUILTY

Tonitrus

An interesting article that I'd be curious for Seedy's perspective...

QuoteDoes a Uniform Keep Officers in Line? The Baltimore Chief Thinks So
By SHERYL GAY STOLBERGAPRIL 14, 2017

Credit Noah Berger/Reuters

BALTIMORE — Abdul-Jaami Salaam felt his heartbeat quicken the minute he saw what the police officers were wearing: jeans, T-shirts and bulletproof vests. "Here come the cowboys," he thought.

It was a steamy night in July 2013. Mr. Salaam, a mental health counselor here, had just pulled his blue minivan into his driveway, his 3-year-old son in the back seat, which was piled high with groceries. The officers jumped out of their Jeep, looking for drugs or guns. Mr. Salaam had neither.

The beating he took that night landed Mr. Salaam in the hospital, bruised and bloodied, and cost Baltimore taxpayers $70,000 when he won a lawsuit. But beyond the payout, the episode raises a serious question about the culture of law enforcement: Are officers more likely to flout the law when they are not in uniform?

In March, the Baltimore police commissioner, Kevin Davis, abruptly disbanded plainclothes teams — known here as knockers or jump-out boys — after seven members of a gun task force were indicted on federal charges of stealing drugs, guns and money. One is accused of moonlighting as a heroin dealer.

"I don't want the jeans, I don't want the T-shirts," Commissioner Davis said in an interview, recounting his fury as he read the F.B.I. indictment. "I want your brass badge attached to your chest. I want the patches on your shoulder. I want you to look like a cop, because I can't ask you to act like a cop unless you look like one."

The commissioner's action, in a city at the center of a national debate over police practices, has prompted some soul-searching over plainclothes squads, forcing chiefs who are grappling with rising gun violence to weigh building trust against reining in elite units that can operate in dangerous environments.

The uniform is a signal to the public, and to the officer who wears one, that the police represent law and order. But in big-city departments, many officers do not wear uniforms, according to Maria Haberfeld, an expert in police training at John Jay College of Criminal Justice in Manhattan. Shedding them — what the police call getting "out of the bag" — is a sign of status.

Detectives, who investigate crimes and are not typically involved in street policing, wear suits. Undercover and sting officers dress in plain clothes to fool suspects. But beginning in the 1980s, in response to the crack epidemic, cities also began creating special units to roam high-crime neighborhoods with a mandate of ridding the streets of drugs and guns.

Commissioner Davis says officers drawn to this brand of aggressive policing are a special breed: "These are your A-plus cops, the hunter-gatherers of our profession." They tend to have discretion in how they work and freedom in what they wear, which contributes to a macho ethos and a dress code that, in Baltimore, included backward baseball caps.

"It's a subculture within a subculture," Professor Haberfeld said. "They develop this mentality of: 'We are dealing with the worst of the worst, we are dealing with the scum of the earth, so you don't tell us how to do our job.'"

Baltimore is not the first city to wrestle with high-profile cases involving plainclothes police officers. In New York in 2014, plainclothes officers were responsible for the death of Eric Garner, whose last words — "I can't breathe" — became a national rallying cry for police reform. In Palm Beach County, Fla., last year, a plainclothes officer driving an unmarked car was charged with manslaughter and attempted murder after he pulled up alongside a man whose car had broken down and, without identifying himself as an officer, shouted commands and then fired his weapon.

In Miami, an elite street-crime unit was disbanded in 1997 after 11 officers were charged in a federal conspiracy to plant guns on suspects. In Los Angeles, the sheriff's department decided to fire seven deputies in 2013, after The Los Angeles Times exposed a secretive jump-out squad whose members celebrated shootings and branded themselves with matching tattoos.

But for ambitious officers, the squads have an enduring allure. "They're given all the toys: the computers, the money, the guns and dress how you feel, do what you want to do," said Sgt. Louis Hopson, a 36-year veteran of the Baltimore Police Department and the board chairman of a group that represents black officers. "Come to work when you want to come to work, treat people however you want to treat them. It's very seductive to a young mind."

Uniformed officers deter crime, but plainclothes officers are better at catching criminals, said John Cornicello, who was a homicide lieutenant in the New York Police Department before he retired in 2012. But, he acknowledged, plainclothes units tend to drift into long lunches and bad habits. When a plainclothes team was responsible for the fatal 1999 shooting of Amadou Diallo, an unarmed man who was reaching for his wallet, Mr. Cornicello said, "the question arose, 'How well did we prepare them?'"

During protests in Ferguson, Mo., in 2015, plainclothes officers had been tracking a man who opened fire on the police and was hit when officers returned fire. Credit Jeff Roberson/Associated Press
The element of surprise that benefits the plainclothes officer can also create confusion. Mr. Salaam, for instance, says he had no idea, at first, that the police were following him.

Police chiefs are well aware of these pitfalls, though many say that with proper supervision, plainclothes units can be extremely effective in fighting crime.

Ronal W. Serpas, a former chief in New Orleans and Nashville, allowed some officers to wear jeans because they were often engaged in foot chases, and jeans are "cheaper and easier to clean," he said, than a pair of $100 uniform pants. But he required that their shirts bear highly visible police insignia.

In Washington, Cathy L. Lanier, then the chief, eliminated plainclothes vice units in 2015, saying she wanted the police to be identifiable when they made arrests. Chief Lanier insisted then that the city had no "jump-out squads," but black residents had complained bitterly about them for years, especially after a 2013 report by a lawyers' group found that African-Americans accounted for more than eight of every 10 arrests.

"There were old people, young people, people talking about the jump-outs, never knowing when you're walking down the street whether someone is going to jump out and search you," said Alec Karakatsanis, a civil rights lawyer, recalling a community forum he helped organize at the time.

And here in Baltimore, the gun task force is not the first plainclothes unit to be disbanded; an earlier version was broken up in 2010. A Baltimore Sun investigation later documented $5.7 million in payouts from 2011 to 2014 to people who said they had been brutally beaten, many by plainclothes officers. Mr. Salaam's payout came later, in 2016.

Also in 2016, a Justice Department investigation of the Baltimore police documented a pattern of racial bias and cited frequent complaints about plainclothes officers "as particularly aggressive and unrestrained in their practice of stopping individuals without cause and performing public, humiliating searches."

Baltimore Police Department Commissioner Kevin Davis last week. Credit Patrick Semansky/Associated Press
All of this history was on Commissioner Davis's mind, he said, when he made the "unilateral decision" to abolish the entire 46-member gun task force after reading F.B.I. affidavits that documented, in eye-popping detail, a pattern of shakedowns — including one drug bust in which his officers recovered $70,000 in heat-sealed bundles of bills and pocketed $20,000 for themselves.

"Sometimes you have to throw the baby out with the bathwater," the commissioner said. "I was concerned enough about the culture of discretionary policing that I felt we needed to abolish it and start from scratch in a different way."

He said he expected to reconstitute the unit at some point, but with tighter controls, including "integrity checks" such as financial background examinations or polygraph tests.

The demise of the dreaded "knockers" was greeted with cheers in poor black neighborhoods here, where one of the indicted officers, Detective Daniel Hersl, is particularly notorious as a result of a running feud with a local rapper, whose family has long accused the detective of planting evidence and stealing money.

Given that publicity, some wondered why it took an F.B.I. investigation for Commissioner Davis to act. "It's concerning for us that it takes these spectacular abuses to get any kind of accountability," said Lawrence Grandpre, director of research for Leaders of a Beautiful Struggle, a public policy group.

The indictments have cast doubt on dozens, if not hundreds, of convictions, which are now being reviewed by the city prosecutor's office. David B. Shapiro, a lawyer who represents victims of police misconduct, is preparing for a possible class action suit.

Among his clients is Derek Williams, 29, a Baltimore County sanitation worker who was arrested in July 2014 by Detective Hersl and says he spent 10 months in jail after the detective planted drugs on him. Growing up in Baltimore, Mr. Williams said, he learned quickly that there was a "very big difference" between uniformed officers and those in plain clothes.

"When you're a uniform cop, that badge is shown, your name is shown," Mr. Williams said. "I would go to a cop that's in uniform for help way before I would go to a knocker."

CountDeMoney

Never liked it.  Sense of Delta operator entitlement, rules don't apply to us.  No supervision.  Bunch of Training Day bullshit.

There's a time and place for it, but Baltimore had gotten way out of control with it.  Waaaaay too many of them, no staff oversight,  and the worst part was nobody ever got rotated.

And it's bullshit anyway;  after a few jumpouts everybody in the neighborhood knew who they were, and their cars, which were usually forfeitures anyway--"Hey, ain't that Pook-J's Escalade?" "Yeah, but he's up Hagerstown."  "Uh oh."--so it's not like they were really fooling anybody. But, like I've said so many other times, moron cops are never as smart as they think they are.  If they were, they wouldn't be cops.

Put them in their uniforms, kick them out of their cars, walk the fucking beat.

QuoteThey tend to have discretion in how they work and freedom in what they wear, which contributes to a macho ethos and a dress code that, in Baltimore, included backward baseball caps.

Co-opting the bail bondsman uniform.  Typical.  :rolleyes:

jimmy olsen

Not a police shooting, but holy shit this is crazy!  Stay safe Ohio peeps.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/cleveland-police-hunt-suspect-after-facebook-live-killing/

Police: Suspect kills elderly victim on Facebook Live, manhunt continues

140 Comment   Share   Tweet   Stumble   Email
Last Updated Apr 16, 2017 11:56 PM EDT

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Police say a man killed someone on Facebook Live and a manhunt is underway Sunday.

The suspect broadcast the killing on Facebook Live around 2 p.m. ET, police said, and has claimed to have committed multiple other homicides which are yet to be verified.

Emergency staffers at the Cleveland Clinic is on standby for mass casualties, CBS affiliate WOIO reports.

In the video, which has been removed from Facebook, the suspect pulls up to an elderly man who is walking on the side of the road. He tells the man to say a woman's name and pulls out his gun. The elderly man repeatedly tells the suspect he doesn't know the woman -- believed to be Stephens' former girlfriend -- but the suspect pulls the trigger, shooting the man in the head, leaving him bloodied in the street.

The suspect walks away and says the elderly man is dead because of the woman.

Authorities identified the suspect as Steve Stephens, a 6-foot, 1-inch tall African American male with a full beard. He weighs 244 lbs. The suspect is believed to be wearing a dark blue and gray or black striped polo shirt.

Cleveland Police Chief Calvin D. Williams gave a press conference to urge the public to call 911 if they see suspect Steve Stephens and to not approach him as he is considered armed and dangerous. WOIO-TV
Cleveland Mayor Frank G. Jackson and Police Chief Calvin D. Williams held a press conference Sunday evening with the latest details.

"Steve Stephens killed an elderly gentleman. I personally give my condolences to the family of the victim," Jackson said.

"We know who Steve Stephens is and he will be eventually caught. He need not to do anymore harm to any innocent people. Whatever concerns or problems that he's having, we're here to have a conversation," the mayor said.

Man in standoff with deputies uses Facebook Live to surrender
"We need Steve to turn himself in," Williams said. "We want this to end with as much peace as we can bring to this right now. If that doesn't happen, we have all our partners in on this and will look until we find him."

Williams said state, county and federal officials are helping with the capture of the suspect. As of this evening, there have been no sightings of the suspect. Officials have confirmed that the city is not on lockdown.

Williams also said that there are no other victims and urges the public to come forward with any information. "We need to get Steve off the streets," he said. "There's no need for any more bloodshed."

The chief said officials are in contact with Stephens' family to track him down and that the victim was picked at random. The victim has been identified as 74-year-old Robert Godwin Sr.

A man who spoke with WOIO said the victim was his father.

"He was a good guy. He would give you the shirt off his back," he said. "I'm not just saying that for these cameras ... This man, right here, was a good man and I hate that he's gone."

WOIO obtained photos of the victim as his family is devastated over their loss. The family had just celebrated Easter with him at a family dinner.

Police are searching for a white Ford Fusion that belongs to the suspect. They said the suspect was last seen south of Interstate-90 in the area of East 93rd.

Williams said the car was recently purchased and thinks there is a temporary tag and that the plates could have been switched. The car has Ohio temporary tag: E363630.

The FBI told CBS News that it will will provide additional personnel, investigative techniques and various resources to this ongoing situation.

Joy Lane, Stephens' longtime partner, broke her silence on the shooting in a text message to CBS News.

"We had been in a relationship for several years. I am sorry that all of this has happened. My heart & prayers goes out to the family members of the victim(s). Steve really is a nice guy... he is generous with everyone he knows. He was kind and loving to me and my children. This is a very difficult time for me and my family Please respect our privacy at this time."

Ealrier, Cleveland State University officials on Twitter urged people to stay remain in a safe location or stay away from campus but has since lifted a lockdown tonight.

Stephens' Facebook page has since been deactivated as of Sunday evening after he published footage of the shooting and Facebook issued the following statement:

"This is a horrific crime and we do not allow this kind of content on Facebook. We take our responsibility to keep people safe on Facebook very seriously, and are in touch with law enforcement in emergencies when there are direct threats to physical safety."

Stephens worked at Beech Brook as a case worker -- which assists children, adolescent and adults with behavioral health.

"We are shocked and horrified like everyone else," said Nancy Kortemeyer, a spokeswoman for Beech Brook. "To think that one of our employees could do this is awful."

Stephens' mother, Maggie Green, spoke to CNN and she said that he was "mad with his girlfriend. That's why he is shooting people and he won't stop until his mother or girlfriend tell him to stop."
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/may/02/dallas-texas-police-shooting-jordan-edwards-moving-car

QuotePolice shooting of Texas teen in moving car violated federal guidance

Jordan Edwards, killed in Dallas-area shooting, becomes latest victim of practice banned by most large police departments across the country

When a Dallas-area police officer fired shots into a moving car on Saturday night, killing 15-year-old Jordan Edwards, the officer did so in direct violation of federal guidance and widespread police department best practices.

Jordan was just the latest victim of a practice the Department of Justice has routinely described as dangerous and unnecessary. A 2015 Guardian investigation found that about four people a month were killed in similar incidents where police fired into moving vehicles. Data from the Guardian's Counted database, which recorded how many people were killed by US police in 2015 and 2016, suggests that that number killed by police gunfire after officers shot into vehicles remained unchanged in 2016, at 48.

Jordan was in the passenger seat of a car authorities say was being driven backwards in an "aggressive manner" when a Balch Springs, Texas, officer opened fire. In a Sunday press conference, the police chief said officers were responding to reports of "drunken teenagers" and heard gunshots when they arrived on the scene.

Lee Merritt, an attorney representing Jordan's family, said the teens in the car were not the ones police had been called about. The officer, who has not been identified, has been placed on routine administrative leave.

Typically in shootings like this, police say that the the vehicle itself is being used as a deadly weapon, justifying the use of deadly force. Experts, however, say that shooting at moving vehicles is ill-advised for a number of reasons. For one, it is extremely difficult to hit a moving target, and officers waste time aiming and firing that could be spent getting out of the way.

Secondly, shooting at a car is no guarantee that it will stop. In many cases, for example the shooting of Samuel DuBose in Cincinnati in 2015, shooting someone behind the wheel of a car leads to the vehicle driving unguided until it hits something, potentially endangering bystanders.

Most large police departments in the country, including those of New York, Los Angeles, Houston and Denver, prohibit officers from shooting into cars. In fact, had the officers responding to the scene where Jordan was killed been from nearby Dallas, they probably would have been trained to respond differently. The Dallas police rulebook prohibits officers from firing at vehicles "unless it is necessary to prevent imminent death or serious bodily injury to the officer or another person", and advises officers to get out of the way, rather than fire, whenever possible.

But many smaller departments, such as Balch Springs, whose rulebook was not immediately available for review, do not have such restrictions.

Jeremy Mardis, 6, Marksville, Louisiana
3 November, 2015: Officers shot and killed Jeremy Mardis, a 6 year old boy with autism, while trying to apprehend his father, Christopher Few. Immediately after Few's vehicle stopped during a chase, two deputy Marshals got out of their patrol cars and began firing into the vehicle, hitting Mardis four times and Few twice. The incident was captured on body cameras.

The two deputy marshals who fired their weapons, Derrick Stafford and Norris Greenhouse Jr, were both indicted on murder charges and arrested. Stafford was convicted and sentenced to 40 years in prison in March. Greenhouse's trial is scheduled to begin in June.

Doll Pierre-Louis, 24, Miami Gardens, Florida
26 May, 2016: Doll Pierre-Louis was trying to flee a traffic stop for speeding when the arresting officer, who was on a motorbike, jumped onto the hood of Pierre-Louis's vehicle as he tried to turn around. Florida Highway Trooper Misael Diaz then shot through the windshield of the car before jumping off as Pierre-Louis drove away. A short distance away, Pierre-Louis who was travelling with his girlfriend, struck another vehicle and finally stopped. "If he felt that his life was threatened and the vehicle's going to run you over, you know, that's assault with a deadly weapon," said patrol spokesman Joe Sanchez.

The case remains under investigation by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement.

Eric Harris, 22, New Orleans, Louisiana
8 February, 2016: Eric Harris was shot by officers when he put his car in reverse at the end of a car chase with Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Office deputies. The chase started in Jefferson Parish, but ended in the city of New Orleans a neighboring jurisdiction. Harris crashed his car into a pole, and when his reverse lights came on, the deputies who were about 20 feet behind the vehicle, said they feared for their lives and fired. New Orleans deputy police chief Arlinda Westbrook said at a public forum in March 2016 that "if that was our police officer, because it's so contrary to our policy, they would have been arrested on the spot," in reference to the deputies actions. A gun was recovered from the vehicle.

A regional civil rights task force headed by the FBI declared in March that no charges would be filed against the officer.

Jacqueline Salyers, 32, Tacoma, Washington
28 January, 2016: Police were trying to apprehend Jacqueline Salyers' boyfriend Kenneth Wright who was wanted on felony drug and gun charges. When officers approached the vehicle, Wright, who was in the passenger seat, put his hands up, but Salyers, in the driver seat, put the car in gear. Fearing for his life officer Scott Campbell fired, killing her. Wright later said Salyers was frightened by the officer's screaming and panicked. Salyers was pregnant when she died. Toxicology reports showed she had a potentially lethal dose of methamphetamine in her system at the time as well. A gun was recovered from the vehicle.

The Pierce County prosecutor ruled the shooting justified in May 2016.

Kenneth Kennedy, Kingman, Arizona
29 October, 2016: Kenneth Kennedy attempted to flee during a traffic stop and bumped two police cruisers during his attempt, authorities said. Deputy Mark Giralde fired at the windshield, killing Kennedy after he started driving at the deputy, according to police. Kingman's wife was also in the car at the time but was unharmed.

Bullhead City police are still investigating the incident.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.