Author Topic: Brewing thread  (Read 747 times)

merithyn

• Octogon Champion
  • Unabashed Anglophile
Re: Brewing thread
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2020, 06:55:02 pm »
When you have your fire are you using aged hard wood?  One of the mistakes I learned I was making when we used a wood fireplace is that green or even not fully aged wood is a crappy heat source. Fun for fire pits, but useless beyond that. And would a thick walled ceramic vessel work? Or would it just crack?

I've tried multiple times with kiln-dried hard woods with a thick crock in a fireplace. I can get it to really hot, but not to a rolling boil like the recipes say should happen.

Also, you might like this channel https://youtu.be/TdvRfPCrR3A  I mean it’s not overly in-depth but it’s fun.

I've made raston before. :) It's rather tasty with a good venison stew. ^_^
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn’t there
He wasn’t there again today
I wish, I wish he’d go away...

Threviel

• Toaster
Re: Sciency question about brewing
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2020, 09:22:22 am »
I'll try and report back here. I appreciate your help  :)

Of course!

I'm planning to do a video class on making a bochet in the next couple of weeks, too. I'll post the link once it's done. :)

I haven't had time to brew a new mead, but I did try the one I previously made again. By (bad) luck there's a homebrewing store next to my job and I talked to the owner about mead. He claimed that mead should rest a few months before drinking. And lo and behold, the yeasty flavour was entirely gone. It was okish I guess, not very good anyway.

I have had the time to do my yearly Glögg. Glögg is a Swedish holiday drink, normally a very sweet mulled wine quite different from the German Glühwein. I do a variant based on svagdricka, a Swedish very low-alcohol malt based beverage. About 5l svagdricka, 2kg sugar and lots of spices and a wine yeast. Smells wonderful when it ferments. It's still fermenting, I think it will take up to 6-8 weeks, then I'll heat it up to 60 C to kill the yeast and bottle it. Can be stored and tastes better next year.

This inspired me to try and brew a beer. I got the store to make me a recipe for a belgian style christmas beer brewed with the brew-in-a-bag-method. It has fermented for a week and I will let it ferment for two more before bottling.

merithyn

• Octogon Champion
  • Unabashed Anglophile
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2020, 12:27:38 am »
Didn't even think to ask how raw your mead was. Yeah,  mine stays in the bottle for a few months before drinking it.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn’t there
He wasn’t there again today
I wish, I wish he’d go away...

Darth Wagtaros

• Can I Be: Ottoman Empire
  • Blerg
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2020, 06:42:13 am »
I made sarsparilla.  It was good.
Jaron Is.

Threviel

• Toaster
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2020, 06:58:45 am »
How's that made? Where did you get the ingredients?

Darth Wagtaros

• Blerg
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2020, 01:50:38 pm »
Youtube shows liek Glen and Friends and How to Drink

I got the ingredients off of Amazon.  It wasn't cheap.
Jaron Is.

Darth Wagtaros

• Blerg
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2020, 07:08:52 am »
How's that made? Where did you get the ingredients?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-74-KCsZm4

No Gential though.
Jaron Is.

Threviel

• Toaster
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2020, 08:57:07 am »
Cool. That seems fun. Did you bottle it or do the syrupy version?

Reminds me of Gin and Tonic Tonic. Some small company around here makes a tonic syrup using quinine that I absolutely fell in love with, so much better than Schweppes.

Darth Wagtaros

• Blerg
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2020, 10:39:55 am »
I used some coke bottles, and some yeast.  Made an iced cream float.  I still have the rest in a large jar with an air lock to see how it'd taste if I let it rest a bit.

I do think I watered it down too much though. SO it tastes a little, 'thin'.
Jaron Is.

Syt

• Neil
  • Spooktober Time
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2020, 10:47:05 am »
Are you using star bottle caps?
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.

Darth Wagtaros

• Blerg
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2020, 04:30:58 pm »
NO. :(  I figured it it sucked then I'd be embarrassed to use cool bottles with stickers. :(
Jaron Is.