And we're back!

Main Menu

Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

More like "Putin on the blitz".  :P

Legbiter

Quote from: The Brain on April 17, 2021, 06:30:04 AMWell, Gondor definitely needs Rohan or The Ring.

This reminds me, about a year ago the Finns released a counter-psyop (Russia had recently been above average obnoxious to them) aimed at repelling what looks like a Russian military attack. All the baddies the Finns are valiantly killing by land, sea and air are suspiciously Russian looking as are the full-spectrum salami tactics employed against the Finns.  :hmm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTmWCbcYwb8

*edit* Are those F-18's the Finns are flying?*

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

mongers

I see Putin more as a Smaug the dragon figure.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Tonitrus

Peace in our time!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-56842763

QuoteRussia to pull troops back from near Ukraine

The Brain

That's why it's called apeacement.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

mongers

Glad that settled down, I wonder if it could be considered that Biden 'faced him down'?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

11B4V

Sounds like a good topic for GMT's Next War Series..... :yes:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

DGuller

Quote from: mongers on April 26, 2021, 07:27:34 PM
Glad that settled down, I wonder if it could be considered that Biden 'faced him down'?
I don't think anyone knows what Putin's game plan was.  Maybe reminding the world that he can make them sweat about what he's going to do was his intention all along.

Sheilbh

Maybe - but Biden did agree to a one-on-one summit with Putin which is normally considered a win for Putin.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 27, 2021, 03:59:56 AM
Maybe - but Biden did agree to a one-on-one summit with Putin which is normally considered a win for Putin.

Ah, but unlike the previous POTUS Biden speaks and understands English.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Zanza

A US president meeting the leader of a great power when there is something to talk about seems business as usual. How is that a win for Putin?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Zanza on April 27, 2021, 05:31:55 AM
A US president meeting the leader of a great power when there is something to talk about seems business as usual. How is that a win for Putin?
I think it's the one-on-one summit nature of it - so it's not Biden visiting Russia or Putin visiting the US, but both going to a neutral location for negotiations.

My understanding is the US's preference is more multilateral meetings, and possibly talk on the sidelines like at APAC meetings, the UN or G20 etc. The Russian preference is to re-ignite that Cold War feeling of being one of the world's two powers by having a one-on-one in Reykjavik. In addition it excludes the French and Germans who ae the Minsk Protocol partners - so Europe's security and borders is an issue for the US and Russia to negotiate again. I've no doubt Biden's team will be in close contact with Paris and Berlin, but visually it's not great.

This is nowhere near as extreme but it's a bit like how Trump agreeing to the Singapore summit with Kim Jong-Un was a diplomatic accomplishment for North Korea. The US - and other countries - generally don't seem to do summit diplomacy that much anymore, the only other example I can think of in recent years was North Korea.

And the other point I suppose is that the Russians will use this - we know how aggressive they are in using diplomatic events, the recent Borrell trip to Moscow was an incredible example. During the press conference the Russians announced that they were expelling a load of European diplomats, Lavrov had a real go at the EU for being an "unreliable partner" (:lol:), accused European leaders of lying about Navalny - that sort of performance is what Russia often does at diplomatic events where they have the world's press. I'm sure the US is aware and Biden will be prepared for it and I think you need to have a response ready, but Borrell wasn't and it didn't look great - a lot of MEPs were very unhappy. Admittedly with Borrell I think something similar had happened the month before in Ankara so there was maybe a sense that it might become a worrying trend for him.
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

Quote from: The Brain on April 27, 2021, 04:02:22 AM

Ah, but unlike the previous POTUS Biden speaks and understands English.

Yeah I don't think Putin will learn as many US state secrets as the last meeting with the POTUS.

Tamas

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 27, 2021, 05:49:46 AM
Quote from: Zanza on April 27, 2021, 05:31:55 AM
I think it's the one-on-one summit nature of it - so it's not Biden visiting Russia or Putin visiting the US, but both going to a neutral location for negotiations.

My understanding is the US's preference is more multilateral meetings, and possibly talk on the sidelines like at APAC meetings, the UN or G20 etc. The Russian preference is to re-ignite that Cold War feeling of being one of the world's two powers by having a one-on-one in Reykjavik. In addition it excludes the French and Germans who ae the Minsk Protocol partners - so Europe's security and borders is an issue for the US and Russia to negotiate again. I've no doubt Biden's team will be in close contact with Paris and Berlin, but visually it's not great.

This is nowhere near as extreme but it's a bit like how Trump agreeing to the Singapore summit with Kim Jong-Un was a diplomatic accomplishment for North Korea. The US - and other countries - generally don't seem to do summit diplomacy that much anymore, the only other example I can think of in recent years was North Korea.

And the other point I suppose is that the Russians will use this - we know how aggressive they are in using diplomatic events, the recent Borrell trip to Moscow was an incredible example. During the press conference the Russians announced that they were expelling a load of European diplomats, Lavrov had a real go at the EU for being an "unreliable partner" (:lol:), accused European leaders of lying about Navalny - that sort of performance is what Russia often does at diplomatic events where they have the world's press. I'm sure the US is aware and Biden will be prepared for it and I think you need to have a response ready, but Borrell wasn't and it didn't look great - a lot of MEPs were very unhappy. Admittedly with Borrell I think something similar had happened the month before in Ankara so there was maybe a sense that it might become a worrying trend for him.

I disagree. Such a meeting was a massive win for a regional troll like Kim of North Korea, but it is far closer to reality in case of US-Russia. Sure, it will be a reaffirmation of Putin's machismo back home but if Biden refused to meet that also would be used in Russia to confirm Putin's machismo.