People hate Congress more than Jar Jar Binks

Started by frunk, July 23, 2014, 07:09:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frunk

People hate Congress more than Jar Jar Binks

QuoteIn terms of irritating, incompetent creatures who get in the way of everything we want to see, most Americans overwhelmingly prefer Jar Jar Binks to the United States Congress. That's according to a chart put together by the Washington Post, which combined favorability ratings for political figures taken from a Gallup Poll, and a recent survey FiveThirtyEight conducted on the Star Wars films. There were some surprises: People claim to like Padme more than Boba Fett, and Anakin Skywalker more than Darth Vader; and at least one percent of respondents who said they've watched a Star Wars film and live on planet Earth were "unfamiliar" with Luke Skywalker. Not so surprising was that people greatly prefer their annoying, attention-seeking behaviors and disastrous Senate votes to come from computer-generated jerks, rather than electorate-generated ones.

As you can see in the below chart, in fact, pretty much any Star Wars character you can name is more popular than our government officials, with Congress bottoming out at a -65 favorability rating. And with a mere -8 rating, Jar Jar is ranked far out ahead of many of our most powerful leaders, including John Boehner, Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid, and even Mitch McConnell, whose brave leadership in the Battle of Endor apparently wasn't enough to raise his standings. (Most Americans agree McConnell was smart to recognize it was a trap, but he shouldn't have called for that tactical retreat. It just made him look cowardly.)

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

alfred russel

The star wars ratings aren't really a relevant comparison. The question regarded how people view the characters, which could be interpreted whether they were worthy fictional artistic creations, rather than whether their real life incarnations would be considered favorably or unfavorably.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Eddie Teach

Quote from: alfred russel on July 23, 2014, 08:49:51 PM
The star wars ratings aren't really a relevant comparison. The question regarded how people view the characters, which could be interpreted whether they were worthy fictional artistic creations, rather than whether their real life incarnations would be considered favorably or unfavorably.

If that was widespread you wouldn't see Luke with a 60 point lead on his dad.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Capetan Mihali

Jar Jar has his partisans. :mellow:  Interpreting things in the Jar-Jar voice is a great party trick/way to make people hate you.  :)
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

alfred russel

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 23, 2014, 09:09:59 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on July 23, 2014, 08:49:51 PM

If that was widespread you wouldn't see Luke with a 60 point lead on his dad.

It isn't universal, but I doubt it is negligible either. Luke is about 90% net favorable, Darth Vader ~28%. Those equate to:
Luke favorable 95%, unfavorable 5%
Vader favorable: 64%, unfavorable 36%

Would 64% really have a favorable view of a real life darth vader? So maybe he is getting credit for a late life conversion...but then the Emperor is a net positive, and he is basically pure evil. I think a lot of the positives are coming from people like the artistic construction of the fictional character, rather than the actual person he would be in reality.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Grinning_Colossus

People often forget that Jar Jar Binks was himself a congressman.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Syt

And he was the one who called for giving the chancellor emergency powers.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

I did forget that.  Thanks for reminding me. :mad:
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on July 23, 2014, 11:12:03 PM
People often forget that Jar Jar Binks was himself a congressman.

He was a senator. :nerd:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Viking

I want to see Palpatine's stats compared to Cheney's, given that they are in fact the same person this would iron out any biases towards apparently fictional characters.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Norgy

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on July 23, 2014, 09:14:18 PM
Jar Jar has his partisans. :mellow:  Interpreting things in the Jar-Jar voice is a great party trick/way to make people hate you.  :)

It's also a good way to make news headlines a little less sad, but vastly more irritating.

Valmy

Palpatine would bring the sort of ruthlessness one needs to run this country these days.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."