The Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant Megathread

Started by Tamas, June 10, 2014, 07:37:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Apparently these guys have just conquered Mosul and now control Nineveh in general.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-27778112

I guess with some guys making Al Qaeda of the 2000s blush ripping out oil-rich parts of Iraq plus parts of Syria to make it their own turf will be the crown jewel in the epic fuckup that was the US intervention in Iraq.

Berkut

Meh. While there is no doubt that the US intervention in Iraq was a fuckup of epic proportions, it's not like NOT intervening would have resulted in anything better.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Tamas

Quote from: Berkut on June 10, 2014, 07:41:02 AM
Meh. While there is no doubt that the US intervention in Iraq was a fuckup of epic proportions, it's not like NOT intervening would have resulted in anything better.

In due time Saddam's regime would have collapsed into pretty much what we have now, I fully agree. However, lots of American and allied lives would have been spared, along with America's reputation and general goodwill which accumulated after 9/11.

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on June 10, 2014, 07:44:09 AM
along with America's reputation and general goodwill which accumulated after 9/11.

Until the next reason to hate us happened.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

It could've saved us thousands of lives, a couple of trillions of dollars, unquantifiable international reputation, and preserved our willingness to credibly threaten intervention when it really is warranted.  It doesn't sound like much, but it adds up.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 10, 2014, 07:51:13 AM
The Kurds will kick them out eventually.

maybe the turks will get their military adventure after all

Valmy

Ah well it is just a matter of time before these dudes take over.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on June 10, 2014, 07:48:26 AM
Until the next reason to hate us happened.

We made everybody who was a close ally of us regret it with that Iraq invasion.  Probably not the best international strategy.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Inevitably there's lots of rumours around. Two of the most striking are that this was lead by ex-members of the Iraqi Army (1st Mosul) and that they're about to announce Izzat al-Duri (the king of clubs) as the 'governor' of Iraq. He was reported, by Petraeus, as having been based in Syria so it wouldn't be a massive surprise.

Also worrying is that apparently US-trained security forces fled more or less as soon as the battle began, so there now are calls for the Kurds to try and re-take the city. There are also reports that ISIS have managed to seize fighter jets and helicopters that were in Mosul airport.

It's far more significant than the capture of Fallujah and Anbar. I think, based on what's out there now, it's difficult to overstate the importance of this in terms of the region's security and conflicts. Grim :mellow:

Quotemaybe the turks will get their military adventure after all
Thirty Turkish truck drivers have been captured which is a problem for them.
Let's bomb Russia!

Berkut

Quote from: Tamas on June 10, 2014, 07:44:09 AM

In due time Saddam's regime would have collapsed into pretty much what we have now, I fully agree. However, lots of American and allied lives would have been spared, along with America's reputation and general goodwill which accumulated after 9/11.

That is sort of correct, I think, but I don't really buy the idea that the world had some reservoir of "good will" towards America that was all used up.

By and large, other people attitudes towards the US are driven by factors like nationalism, self-interest, and ignorance. What America does or does not do is used to justify whatever notions other countries and people wish to have anyway, excepting of course where people are more directly influenced by US actions, like say in Afghanistan or Pakistan or Israel.

0 rows returned

Sheilbh

I'd rather self-interested, venal allies like the UK, France and Australia than directly influenced but pretty independent countries like Pakistan or Israel.
Let's bomb Russia!

jimmy olsen

If the Kurds can't kick them out, the Iranians will help the Shia and they would be able to hold against them.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Berkut

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 10, 2014, 08:30:23 AM
I'd rather self-interested, venal allies like the UK, France and Australia than directly influenced but pretty independent countries like Pakistan or Israel.

Well, yeah. Unfortunately, neither the UK, France, or Australia happen to be located adjacent to Afghanistan. Geography is a bitch like that...

0 rows returned

Sheilbh

Yeah. I just mean direct influence I think is over-rated. It doesn't seem to do a lot of good when a country's political leaders don't care: see Israel, Egypt, Afghanistan, Iraq etc.
Let's bomb Russia!