Ebola and other Epidemics, Inadequate Healthcare Threatens Millions

Started by mongers, March 23, 2014, 04:48:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

QuoteIt is spread by close personal contact with people who are infected and kills between 25% and 90% of victims.
[/size]

It kills between 25 and 90%?

Does that make any sense at all? How can you have a range of a percentage?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

garbon

Quote from: Berkut on June 23, 2014, 09:06:26 AM
QuoteIt is spread by close personal contact with people who are infected and kills between 25% and 90% of victims.
[/size]

Maybe sloppy fact checking/reporting?  From WHO looks like they say up to 90% of people die. Then if you look at bottom table with listed outbreaks causing fatalities (/outbreaks involving more than one person), lowest is 25%.

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs103/en/
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

I would be dreadfully ironic if this thing ends up having 'legs', given my sarcastic thread title and needling of Timmay.  :blush:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

[/size]

That's just poor reportage.  The research community pretty much considers a mortality rate of 50%+ as Mucho Muerto Supremo, and doesn't really mince numbers to 100% after that.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 23, 2014, 09:21:06 AM
[/size]

That's just poor reportage.  The research community pretty much considers a mortality rate of 50%+ as Mucho Muerto Supremo, and doesn't really mince numbers to 100% after that.

WHO has a pretty detailed list of mortality rate by outbreak.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Malthus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 23, 2014, 10:19:45 AM
I always preferred the Stones.

Those are what you put on the graves afterwards.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

CountDeMoney

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tamas

Spanish newspapers allegedly claim that there is a guy in a Valencia hospital suspected with an Ebola infection.

jimmy olsen

Indeed

http://www.thespainreport.com/9248/ebola-valencia/

QuoteSpanish Health Authorities Activate Health Alert Over Possible West African Ebola Case In Valencia
By Matthew Bennett | on Google+ | June 25th, 2014
Ebola in Spain News Spanish Healthcare & Medicine

NEWS: A man from Guinea Conakry is in isolation in the La Fe hostpital in Valencia, eastern Spain, with a suspected case of Ebola. There are contradictory stories about how it was discovered.

Regional health authorities in Valencia activated their infectious disease protocols on Monday night after the man, who is "resident in Europe" according to a Spanish Health Ministry spokeswoman, was admitted to hospital with Ebola-like symptoms.

Data from the Center for Disease Control in the United States shows this spring's Ebola outbreak in West Africa to have so far infected 599 people, 362 of whom have died, a 60% fatality rate.

On Monday June 23, a Civil Guard agent at passport control at Valencia airport noticed the man did not look well and called the airport's first aid team, who then warned the Health Ministry's Foreign Healthcare section, a spokeswoman for Spanish airport authorities AENA in Valencia told The Spain Report.

In contradiction to the version offered by airport authorities, the Spanish Health Ministry in Madrid and regional health authorities in Valencia insist the man's symptoms were noticed on board the airplane by the crew and that he was first isolated on board the aircraft.

The Health Ministry spokesman first told The Spain Report that the patient had arrived not on a flight from Morocco but on a boat, later confirming that the man had: "a high fever, dizziness, shakes and a cough".

36 hours after the man was admitted to hospital, Spanish health officials are still waiting for the results of the tests.

Doctors Without Borders in Spain told The Spain Report that the Ebola test the organisation uses in field conditions in Guinea normally takes six hours to process, or up to 24 hours if there are transport problems from remote locations.

Spanish health authorities in Madrid and Valencia denied the tests in Spain were taking longer than necessary, and that Spanish doctors were following their own protocols. "We are not hiding anything", said a spokeswoman for La Fe Hospital, "but I don't know why it is taking so long".

Valencian regional health minister, Manuel Llobart said today that: "We really hope that the results of the test are negative, but if it is positive, the protection of the population is guaranteed", according to Spanish news agency EFE.

EFE also reports Mr. Llobart as saying the man was bleeding from his nose.

The ministry would not confirm the flight number, airline, time of arrival, number of flight crew or the total number of passengers on board, but the Valencia airport webpage shows just one company, Royal Air Maroc, operating a flight between Casablanca and Valencia.

Regional health authorities in Valencia issued a statement yesterday saying the man's symptoms: "could correspond to said disease, which has NOT yet been confirmed or denied. We are waiting for the test results", and asking for: "prudence and to not cause social alarm over the suspicion of a possible disease".

The patient is currently in a "clinically stable" condition "in isolation".

A spokeswoman for the World Health Organisation told The Spain Report that the WHO was in touch with the Spanish authorities and that they were following updates in the Spanish press, but that they do not have any further information at this point.

There are five species of the Ebola virus and the World Health Organisation says case outbreaks have a fatality rate of up to 90%. The virus spreads through human-to-human transmission and physical contact with infected surfaces or mucous substances.

1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Maybe he's just faking it, like the rest of the Spaniards during World Cup season.

HVC

Now that Ebola has hit the west we'll have a cure within the year. It's cool.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 25, 2014, 08:19:52 AM
Maybe he's just faking it, like the rest of the Spaniards during World Cup season.

Fernando Torres has a case of the sads.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive